Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
PID on Expobar Brewtus short-circuited - what now?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > PID on Expobar...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Dunja

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 1:20pm
Subject: PID on Expobar Brewtus short-circuited - what now?

Just when one problem was resolved (my previous posts on removing the detergent taste), and we finally got a decent espresso from our Expobar Brewtus IV, a new malfunction appeared :( Namely, the PID all of a sudden displayed "A2", which according to the manual means an alarm for a short circuit. And this on a 2 months old machine! Really nerve racking.
We've emailed the shop where we bought the machine, but until they reply, can anyone tell me whether this means that only the PID itself short-circuited and otherwise the machine can be used on the basis of a guess regarding the temperature, or whether it is unsafe to use it in this state? Many thanks in advance.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 1:31pm
Subject: Re: PID on Expobar Brewtus short-circuited - what now?

Sorry to hear about this.
I don't have direct info on your issue. I don't know if the short is in the PID unit or heater or something else. If the PID is bad, I don't see how you could use the machine. The PID is what controls the temp and there is nothing to regulate the temp otherwise.

The store is your best bet and it should be a covered repair. Electronics can be a pain. From personal experience, if electronics have an issue, it will come up fairly early in the life of a product. If you make it past the first year of an items life and have no issues, most likely you will be OK from then on. Heck, I still have a TV we bought in 1983 and it is still going strong though we don't use it much if at all for anything now.

I really think you will not be able to do much with the machine until the short is repaired.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Dunja

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 2:25pm

Thanks a lot for the reply, will wait to see what the shop says then. Hopefully we get the machine repaired soon :-/
 View Profile Link to this post
JGG
JGG
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: PID Silvia; PID Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Hottop D w/HTC+TC4C
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 6:39pm

I think that code means the probe has a short circuit.  Best guess is that the wires going from the PID to the NTC temperature sensor are broken at the boiler and that one or more strands are shorting together.  Try replacing the probe first since that shouldn't be too expensive.

Jim
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > PID on Expobar...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.339303970337)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+