Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Descaling Bezzera BZ07
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Descaling...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
drdreydel

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Le'Lit Pl53
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 9:53am
Subject: Descaling Bezzera BZ07

Hello all,

I recently upgraded from a SBDU (Le'Lit) to the Bezzera BZ07. I love it, but I also realize that preventative maintenance like descaling requires a slightly different procedure on HX machines. I read the instructions in Jim's water thread, but I'm pretty confused by the difference in the procedure for descaling the HX and the boiler. How does one distinguish what's being filled? I realize that this is a very HX newbie question. I thought I understood the general workings, but apparently I don't! So, with choice being the brew button, the hot water wand and the steam wand...which to use for which part of the procedure?

Thanks!

Andrey
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 11:01am
Subject: Re: Descaling Bezzera BZ07

The brew button will draw water from the reservoir through the heat exchanger to the group head. Both the hot water wand and steam wand draw from the boiler.

So, if you're descaling only the heat exchanger, you want to make sure that the descaling solution doesn't go into the boiler if the autofill kicks on while you're drawing water through the heat exchanger (in which case you might as well shrug your shoulders, mix up some extra descaling solution, and do the whole machine). Which means you'll want to defeat the autofill when descaling the HX itself. This is usually done by grounding the lead that goes to the water probe.
drdreydel

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 11:10am

Ah that makes good sense. Is there any reason why one would necessarily want to descale one but not the other? Thanks!
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 11:32am

drdreydel Said:

Ah that makes good sense. Is there any reason why one would necessarily want to descale one but not the other? Thanks!

Posted September 13, 2012 link

I would say it all depends on how hard your water is. Scale build-up will affect the HX tube much faster than it will the boiler, as it will slow the rate at which the water passing through the tube heats, and decrease it's volume, forcing the pump to work harder to deliver the same volume of water. So, if the water is hard enough to leave scale deposits, I would descale the HX 2-3 times as frequently as I would descale the boiler. Scale sccumulation in the boiler is going to be primarily at the water line, so is nowhere near as quick to affect the operation of the machine.

As some are fond of saying, YMMV, but this is just my take on it.
drdreydel

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2012, 11:37am

Thanks, very helpful!
dougz

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Lelit PL53
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 12:15am

Sorry, that's confused me..

Can you give me a link to this "Jim's water thread"?

I thought it was as easy as putting the descaling solution in with your water, then alternating between drawing it through your group head, steam wand and water valve, then fill it with fresh water and repeat the procedure a couple times till it runs clear, done - boiler and group head..
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Descaling...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.434900999069)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+