Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Can I make this work?
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can I make this...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
diggi
diggi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 8:48am
Subject: Re: Can I make this work?

Coffeenoobie Said:

I still think an insinkerator hot water dispenser would be a great gift for the wife ....

Posted September 16, 2012 link

Don't know if you have small children, but these things scare the crap out of me for that reason.  I fear the espresso machine as it is, but keep the steam boiler off unless I am there to supervise.  And easier to say that the machine is 'off limits'....much harder for a sink, that they are used to using.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 9:43am

Well, the one I used was not easy to turn, you can't leave it running and you could not bump it on.  Also you can mount it to the back of the sink.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 5:09pm

HAHA!! What a goof I am.. I read "Insinkerator" and immediately thought of a Garberator, or what Americans call an "In Sink Garbage Disposal"... Then I kind of wondered
what on earth getting a garberator had anything to do with coffee. I've seen the hot water insinkerators before, it might be an alternative to using the espresso machine.

We don't have kids, so leaving the steam boiler on or having an Insinkerator hot water tap is certainly an option for us.

To Bgosselin:

Ahh.. Now I understand.. So it's just a bit of user education in regards to pulling hot water....

To Diggi:

Well, I admit that the automatic volumetric dosing and the automatic pre-infusion are appealing things to me, not to mention a hidden brew group so that my wife
can't accidentally burn herself on an exposed E61 brew group. (At the risk of getting mauled, I'll admit she can be a little clumsy at times.)

I'll admit that the Rocket Cellini Evolutizone (sp?) for that price is certainly a great deal.. It's about a 1/2 inch wider than the QM67 and about an inch deeper, but
still within specifications that I need.  

The only other machine I know of which has a hidden brew group and volumetric dosing under $3k is the Nuova Simonelli Musica, which is $150 more than the La Spaziale Vivaldi II,
but it is a HX machine. The problem is, the plumbed in version is considerably more money than the tank version, which I don't get.

It seems to me that E61 lever-style machines are just considerably more affordable and much more serviceable, so it certainly is something to consider. It might not be worth
it to spend all that extra money just to have the convenience of pushing one single button.

I apologize if I sound fussy, but I'd like to thank all of you for answering my questions so far.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 7:08am

I am late to the party but you can get pretty much all the hot water you want from a HX machine by pulling blank shots or with an empty PF. The first shots will be over temp (as is normal with HX that has been sitting for a while) then the second set of shots are dead on temp and if pulled quickly the third set of shots may be slightly cool but regardless, that is 6 oz of water at about 205f + without affecting the machine in any way. I find that in my 2.5 l boiler, if I pull the same 6 or 8 oz of water from the boiler, it drops the temp quite a bit when make up water enters the boiler and then I need to wait for the boiler to come up to temp again. This is only a couple of minutes but water from the HX/group head is just as fast to access and I do not have the cooling of the boiler to deal with, not to mention that the first bit of water from the boiler flashes to steam as it is around 230f or so.

Having not used a DB in this fashion I can't advise you on how it will react to either pulling blank shots or from the steam boiler.

Plumb in is GREAT and going back to pour over is a PITA. Also volumetric dosing is really REALLY nice too! You can always stop the shot any time you want if it starts to blond. Most machines have a "manual" button also to allow you to bypass the volumetric dosing if you like longer shots. Another way is to set the buttons for a short, normal and a long shot (most volumetric machines have at least 3 volumes plus manual)

YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 9:59am

I think they also make garbage disposals as well but I was talking about the hot water on demand.  Like I said, I knew about them but thought it was pretty silly till I used it for a year at work and I really like them now and kinda want one.  I thought that would help your space problem and be something just for her.

Coffeenoobie

D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 10:26am

"Instahot" is the term that I am familiar with.  After having one, my wife said that she would get rid of the microwave before the Instahot.  190 - 195F on tap is pretty nice has a lot of uses.  Nice addition to keep the non-espresso person in the family happy.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 2:32pm

That is just what I was thinking.  It would make her happy and give more options for the space problem. And I thought they were silly till I had access to one.

Coffeenoobie

showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can I make this...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.411947011948)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+