Espresso: Espresso Machines
E61 leakage on warm-up and after shot
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > E61 leakage on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ammca66564

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 5:42pm
Subject: E61 leakage on warm-up and after shot

I've just acquired a second-hand Quickmill Andreja.  I've got it on a timer to warm up in the morning, and when I get there after it's warmed up there's a good half a cup of water in the drip tray.  Also, it seems to take quite a long time to start moving water out the grouphead when I do the cooling flush.  

I'm thinking I need a grouphead rebuild - new seals, and I've picked up somewhere that the cams the pump lever presses against to actuate the valves can wear.  And there's dripping after I cut off the shot and remove the portafilter.  (Oh, and some small leakage where the pump lever goes into the grouphead when the lever is raised - but that seems like an easy one.)

So my question to the forum is this: what all is the problem here?  And what should I tell the espresso repair guy to do - do I just say complete rebuild of the grouphead and let him go at it?
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Sep 8, 2012, 10:10pm
Subject: Re: E61 leakage on warm-up and after shot

You could rebuild the group on your own. I do not know that machine, but if the leak is definitely coming from under the group through the exhaust port,*1 the problem is likely the exhaust valve's seal which is easy to replace one way or the other. If you think you would like to attack it, I have step-by-step instructions on my website.

*1 - if there are any other discharge points in the drip tray the leak could be from elsewhere.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ammca66564

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 5:54pm

Thanks so much, frcn!

I looked all over the place with Google for a page like your E61 overhaul page - I think my mistake was using "e61 rebuild".  Didn't think to search "overhaul" [sound of me smacking my forehead] . . . .

Excellent page, reading it, I can visualize this quite well.  I'm reading it over carefully, screwing up my courage.  I don't have a big shop or anything, but it looks like a few basic tools will do the trick.  Heck, I've taken apart the washer and the dryer.  Got 'em both back together, too.

Question:

I'm looking at parts, here.  Got a $35 kit with all gaskets, one spring and the shower screen.  Or for $95, the infusion pins and drain valve, but no shower screen or gicleur filter.  Of course, I can order ala carte, as well.

How likely do you think it is I will need to replace the top & bottom infusion pins?  And the drain valve and the cam lever . . . ?  Do you recommend ordering them and having them on hand?  Any guidance greatly appreciated.
frcn
frcn

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 7:17pm

If you can go without espresso for a week or two (perish the thought) what I would recommend is taking it apart and seeing if the pins are in good shape and if you can get the seals out. Using a heat gun or other suitable source of heat, heating the junction of the pin where is screws on over the seal on each valve body will break loose any locking compound or corrosion. If the pins are not worn, then all you will need is the three seals in that regard. Whatever you find, it's better to know before ordering. Cleaning the shower screen in espresso machine cleaner or equivalent will let you know its condition. You will want to get two group gaskets- one for now and one for later. If you look in that section on the homepage of my site there is another lesson on an easy way to get the shower screen out as well. The spring is probably the infusion valve's spring. The other two are not highly critical in their force range.

As far as likelihood that pins are needed, there is no accurate way to tell without looking. While waiting for parts you can be cleaning and soaking the rest. Don't forget the Dow 111 lube. Lesson #11 is the quick-lube for the E-61. That keeps the cam lubed and that can help lengthen the life of the pins as well as the cam.

I will try to remember to add some more Meta tags to the article to make it easier to find...   ;-)

Visit My Website
ammca66564

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 8:58pm

Well, given that I've still got my old Silvia, I should be in good shape.

Was doing some tinkering, and found the leakage comes in through the grouphead, dripping out through the portafilter.  A surge of heat from the element cycling on and off seems to drive the flow.  

Will keep you posted!
frcn
frcn

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2012, 9:59pm

If the water leaks as the boiler heats and it comes through the shower screen that means that the brew valve is leaking.

Visit My Website
ammca66564

Posted Mon Sep 10, 2012, 6:50am

That's what I'm thinking . . . I may order up a top valve infusion pin based on that . . . just in case.

That make sense?
ammca66564

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 9:00pm

Well, I've got it apart.  FRCN's instructions are great.  And the machine is remarkably easy to work on.  High grade machinery is nice to work with, always worth the price.

I discovered my problem, all right.  The gasket on the brew (upper) valve was absolutely shot.  Deeply worn down into the fitting, badly decayed extra rubber pushing up out of the valve body.  No wonder I had serious leakage.  I'm going to have fun digging this out tomorrow.  Good thing I own a proper heat gun.  Great tip.

I note a tiny bit of wear to the pin face, but it's not much.  I'm wondering if I reinstall it with the unworn portion oriented right whether that will be an long term wear advantage.  But it's nowhere near the point of replacement.  That's $40 worth of good news.

Will update as I finish the job.

ammca66564: espresso valve.jpg
(Click for larger image)
ammca66564

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 9:31pm

Well, got it all taken apart and back together again.  No more dripping, and I feel like I'm moving more water and dispersing it better.  So I'm pleased on that front.  Seems to benefit now from a couple steps finer grind.  

The hitch is my lower valve is sticking, or something.  When I backflush, and hold the valve down to exhaust it through the bottom nothing happens.  Going to have to take apart the lower section again tomorrow.
mikel51

Posted Sun Sep 23, 2012, 3:20pm

I had a similar problem when I changed the seals on my E61 group.  Help over on home-barista.com
click here
led to the solution.  When I reassembled, I didn't firmly seat the cam in the proper position--completely reinserting the cam lever prior to reassembling the bottom and top of the group.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > E61 leakage on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.410638093948)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+