Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Can I make this work?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can I make this...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 6:32pm
Subject: Can I make this work?

OK, as all of you know, I've been saving my pennies for a much nicer machine than what I have now. (My friends think I'm nuts.)

However, I think I've run into a little snag.. I'm pretty determined to get a La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II, but I think I'm facing a bit of
a reality check. I'd like to know what all of you think, maybe I should be considering a different machine due to space constraints?

My wife is as much a tea geek as I'm a coffee geek, so right now she uses our K-Cup machine to get hot water. (It's perfect for this
because of its really small tank, but would be better if we used only one machine for this.)

My wife has agreed to let me have a dedicated portion of the kitchen for my coffee station, but she doesn't want the kitchen turned
into a coffee bar. (Drat.) She's already kind of irked that we have two coffee machines in the kitchen.

For those who haven't read my previous threads, I typically make myself a Cappuccino in the morning and a short Americano or a
double espresso in the evenings. (Or vice versa depending on how dry my mouth is.) My wife usually drinks two or three 8 oz mugs
of herbal tea in the evenings.

Here's a picture of my current set up right now. I can use the space above the machine to hold all of the various things, like steaming
pitchers, etc, etc. Right now, it's nearly "Dead" space, used to store some teas and various accessories.

In theory, this spot is a lever machine lovers dream, but I'm not interested in going that route. (Maybe a few years from now.)

qualin: Coffee_Setup.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 6:33pm
Subject: Re: Can I make this work?

Here is a Visio Diagram detailing the current set up as it is. I double and triple measured everything!

qualin: Current-Layout.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
qualin
qualin

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 6:36pm

.... and here's the problem.....

My biggest concern is the edge of the sink might get in the way.

I left 1" of clearance on the back of the machine, but maybe it isn't enough. Perhaps the machine could be retrofitted with a flush AC plug?
I also left about 0.5 inches of clearance on the left hand side, perhaps it would have to be flush...

Getting it plumbed would be a piece of cake. Drill a hole in the sink, put a rubber grommet in the hole then call a plumber to put in the T,
water softener system and the open trap.

Opinions?

qualin: Proposed-Layout.jpg
(Click for larger image)

qualin
qualin

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 6:50pm

Since I'm about a 30 minute drive away from a local Expobar dealer,
I kind of wondered what putting in something like an Expobar Lever or Expobar Brewtus 4-R would look like...

My wife personally thinks that the exposed E61 grouphead looks really ugly. I personally like the looks of the
La Spaziale myself. I kind of figure if I'm going to drop $2-$2.5k on a machine, it should be a DB.

Oh BTW, in all of these diagrams, I did extensive research into the dimensions of the machines...

Before anyone says anything, the Rocky will eventually get replaced with a Baratza Vario-W or a Macap M4D,
I'm just putting it in there as a comparison.. I'll most likely be buying machine and grinder as a set, rather
than one at a time.

qualin: Alternative-Coffee.jpg
(Click for larger image)

qualin
qualin

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 6:58pm

Since I have Visio open, I think that it's probably safe to say that a La Marzocco GS/3 won't fit...
(I'm just kidding, but I had to find out anyway just out of curiosity.)

qualin: Dream-Machine.jpg
(Click for larger image)

NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Sep 14, 2012, 10:07pm

I have less kitchen space at the moment than you. That's why I keep the grinder at a seperate place. Just a thought to give you more options... ;-)

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 7:28am

It looks like you are giving up your shot/drink prep space (based on your diagrams).

Which side of the machine has the steam wand? Typically, you need to swing it out to steam, so you might want to consider how much space you need next to the machine.

Regarding your wife's hot water...once you have a plumbed machine you won't need the k-cup. Of course, that means you'll be leaving your machine on more, but I don't consider that a problem.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Bgosselin

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 7:54am

qualin Said:

.... and here's the problem.....

My biggest concern is the edge of the sink might get in the way.

I left 1" of clearance on the back of the machine, but maybe it isn't enough. Perhaps the machine could be retrofitted with a flush AC plug?
I also left about 0.5 inches of clearance on the left hand side, perhaps it would have to be flush...

Getting it plumbed would be a piece of cake. Drill a hole in the sink, put a rubber grommet in the hole then call a plumber to put in the T,
water softener system and the open trap.

Opinions?

Posted September 14, 2012 link

The mini-vivaldi is curve on the back so you don't need that much space.  If your outlet is 8.5 inchs high you got 2 inchs of clearance?.  The cord is big (20 amp compatible) and mean you probably need 2.5 inchs of clearance to make it fit.  Having a smaller plug could help.

So 0.5 inch could do depending on your electical outlet location.

I think you sould but it flush on the left side.  The Vivaldi is also curv on the side.  So the widest is about 16 inchs in the middle, but the front is about 14.5 inchs.

Steam wand is on the left.  So you have plenty of space there.

In my set up the grinder is 10 feet away and i never saw that as a problem.  It also make the coffee section smaller when split in two.  

CC has a good deal on a mini buyers remors
sn_85

Espresso: Quick Mill Andreja Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 8:45am

You also mentioned you were determined to get the Mini Vivaldi II and then plumb.  Note that you can't plumb the Mini Vivaldi, it doesn't have the hook ups for one and is only a resevoir machine.  You'd have to get the regular Vivaldi II (non-Mini) which is a plumb-only machine.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 9:10am

Get your wife an insinkerator as a peace offering.  I thought they were silly but I worked at a place for a year with that on one side and hot water from the huge Bunn on the other. I really like how it stacked up against the water from the Bunn.  I want one here now... and I really thought they were worthless before.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can I make this...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.567492008209)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+