Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Can I make this work?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can I make this...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Bgosselin

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 1:03pm
Subject: Re: Can I make this work?

sn_85 Said:

You also mentioned you were determined to get the Mini Vivaldi II and then plumb.  Note that you can't plumb the Mini Vivaldi, it doesn't have the hook ups for one and is only a resevoir machine.  You'd have to get the regular Vivaldi II (non-Mini) which is a plumb-only machine.

Posted September 15, 2012 link

That is right. The mini-vivaldi has a vibration pump and can't be plumb.  Being very close to the sink may make it easy to fill.  But your wife using hot water for tea may make the Vivaldi II a better choice.  You will need to make that choice before your purchase.
 View Profile Link to this post
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 2:34pm

qualin Said:

My wife is as much a tea geek as I'm a coffee geek...

Posted September 14, 2012 link

If that's the case, she should get a bonavita or pino kettle (don't know a good supplier in Canada yet....still looking for myself).  This is much better, especially if she drinks oolong or green, that requires a much lower temperature.  Besides, the Spaz manual recommends pulling no more than ~6oz from the steam boiler at a time, or risk damaging the element.  6 oz isn't very much.

My two cents.

ADDENDUM
Just reread your post.  Didn't catch that space was the issue and my not so helpful post above about getting more stuff likely doesn't help with space...but you are in a pickle to get 8oz of hot water from the spaz steam boiler safely.

Measurements from outside of feet (leaving room for overhang over sink/floor) is 14 1/8" x 12 1/4".  If that measurement is useful.  Cord comes out under back of machine, but if plug is behind machine, it'll need a bit of space to allow the heavy-duty cord to plug in....plug couldn't be behind machine to get that close to back wall, I don't think.

Just measured. Plug and cord bent are 3 1/4".....BUT, if the plug height is above 8" from counter top, this could be accomodated in the bend in the machine. So after this rambling post.  How high is the outlet from the top of the counter? Will it be 15 or 20A? (Shouldn't matter.....I only have 15, but the cord is pretty long with the adapter and what not.  Mine is plugged into a surge protector as well.....are you planning on using one of those. If so, how thick is that?
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 3:08pm

diggi Said:

If that's the case, she should get a bonavita or pino kettle (don't know a good supplier in Canada yet....still looking for myself).

Espressoplanet was the first distributor in Canada I believe.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
diggi
diggi

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 3:17pm

CraigA Said:

Espressoplanet was the first distributor in Canada I believe.

*tips hat

TRANSLATION

thank you
Bgosselin

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 5:49pm

Can you reduce the height of the back wall?  Just asking because the spaziale back is very good looking.  You may be able to gain space there .

Click Here (i703.photobucket.com)

Pictue is coming from a threat on the vivaldi forum.
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sat Sep 15, 2012, 9:57pm

To answer all of the replies in reverse order:

To Bgosselin:

Unfortunately, behind that wall is the main clothes closet. If there was a way I could, I would.

To Diggi:

I have a Zojirushi Samovar which I use for this purpose at work, but the idea is that if I'm going to spend a lot of
dough on a machine which can deliver hot water and steam, the machine should be capable of doing it.

Are there other machines on the market which can deliver more than 6 oz of hot water at a time without the
safety thermostat tripping?

FYI, The plugs are 5 1/2" inches up from the counter, so I don't think they'll fit in the notch on the machine. They're 15A
plugs, but they're also on a shared circuit with the Microwave. The Microwave is 1500 watts. Can't have the espresso
machine and the Microwave going at the same time or POP!

To Bgosselin:

I've been looking at both the Mini Vivaldi II and the Vivaldi II. Either one was a candidate, but now I'm not so sure
that the Vivaldi II is a suitable candidate now. There are other machines on the market which allow the user to switch
between reservoir and plumbed in and have a rotary pump.

As well, in your earlier post, I think you pretty much made up my mind that any La Spaziale machine is NOT going to
fit in that space. I just don't have enough clearance for the power cord without the corner of it ending in the sink.

I don't ever think I could do the whole "Buyers Remorse" thing. It screws everyone, makes me feel guilty and gives
me a poor reputation with the seller. I'll buy it once and that's it. Unless the machine is a problematic lemon, it's not
going back. :-)

To Coffeenoobie:

That's for the suggestion, but my wife is a huge composting fan. I personally am not a big fan of it, but she is. She's
most likely getting a very nice camera as a peace offering instead. :-)

My wife wants less appliance clutter on the counter, which is why it would be better if we could ditch the K-Cup machine
and just use one machine to do everything.

To NobbyR:

I thought about putting the grinder on the opposite side of the kitchen sink if I couldn't get it to fit beside the machine,
I'll certainly keep your suggestion in mind.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 12:11am

I should clue all of you in on something..

The diagrams I've been providing are only good if I want to use a plumbed in machine. If I want to use a tank machine,
the options I have for using it in the kitchen are a bit more flexible. Ideally, I'd like to use that spot because it's perfect
for a "normal" coffee machine and it keeps me out of the way of my wife while she's making dinner. A larger machine
just limits my options as to where I can put it.

Now that I've been reading a bit more...

I guess I was nearly dead set and hyperfocused on the generous featureset and the beauty that is the La Spaziale. :-)
Unless I go with the Mini Vivaldi II and use it in a different spot in the kitchen where there is the space. (And the whole
hot water thing will have to be taken care of by a Samovar.)

I'd like some more input on this and some opinions please. Especially when it comes to the whole hot water dispensing thing.

It seems to me like the Expobar Brewtus IV-R is a direct competitor to the La Spaziale Vivaldi II. I wonder if that's an option
I should consider instead? What other options are there for this amount of space?

I think that I'd like to keep the machine under $2500. The Rocket R58 and the Viebemme Double Domobar are too high end.
The Izzo Alex Duetto II is $2600 in Canada as opposed to about $2200 at Chris's coffee, so that's not an option.  

Is the limitation of 6 oz of hot water pretty much the norm for all machines then, or is that an over-generalization?

After looking on all of the various coffee equipment sites, it seems my options are endless if I consider an HX machine over
a DB machine, but I'm afraid that getting an HX machine may result in upgradeitis again.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
diggi
diggi

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 3:27am

qualin Said:

After looking on all of the various coffee equipment sites, it seems my options are endless if I consider an HX machine over
a DB machine, but I'm afraid that getting an HX machine may result in upgradeitis again.

Posted September 16, 2012 link

Before this conversation becomes another DB better than HX debate.... The only way you will get upgradeitis is if you desire the feature set in the DB over the HX.  They are fairly minimal.  To be honest, I would have preferred the HX myself to allow quicker temp profiling by varying the grouphead flush with the HX.  You get a minor improvement in walk-up-and-pull with the DB, but nothing major for a geek.  I couldn't convince my wife that a grouphead flush was as easy as it really is.  Also, volumetric dosing was a must for my other half.  I do like it myself, but there are times where I wish I could have let the shot run longer, but this is prevented with the volumetric dosing......but those times are seldom.

I don't think a HX is limited in the volume from the hot water tap, like with a DB, but I can't say for certain.  Maybe someone with a HX can chime in.  Looks like HX may work best for you.

PS 5 1/2" is smack dab in the middle of the deepest part of the Spaz.

How are the measurements for the rocket cellini evo? Open box for $1800 . Use now. Plumb later. Move if doesn't fit. No curved sides like the gioto. All check marks.
Bgosselin

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 6:37am

qualin Said:

Is the limitation of 6 oz of hot water pretty much the norm for all machines then, or is that an over-generalization?

Posted September 16, 2012 link

Just to clarify you can output 6oz of water wait for the pump to fill the boiler and get another 6 oz of water.  So 12 oz takes only a few second cause the service boiler fill fast.  After 12 oz the wait is longer.

I'm not sure if the HX machine are different.  It should be relatet to the size of the boiler.  For exemple the service boiler in the R58 is 1.7 liter.  Most HX machine are 1.8 liter.  So not sure you can get out tht much more water before the element is expose.

The mini Vivaldi has a 1.2 liter only.  The Vivaldi II has a huge 2.5 liter boiler.  That should give you more room to get hot water before the element is expose.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 7:26am

Click Here (www.insinkerator.com)

nothing to do with composing it is a hot water on demand thing that you plumb in.  My understanding of HX is that the water from the group head is pulled from the storage tank and passes through the boiler and right into the cup at the group head.  Unless you run it dry I don't think there is a limit but I defer to wiser heads than mine.   I still think an insinkerator hot water dispenser would be a great gift for the wife and make it so she was not pulling down your tank if you are not plumbed in.  Also, it is just another faucet so it takes up practically no counter space.  Like I said before I used it a year I thought it was silly to have and now I see the value of it.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Can I make this...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.535828828812)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+