Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Bitter taste and "flow" of espresso shot
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Bitter taste and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
MisterJohnnyT

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 7:26am
Subject: Re: Bitter taste and "flow" of espresso shot

You 'used "bad", non potable water.'  Lol, WUT? What country are you in?  How would that even seem like a sensible thing to do?  ::mindblown::
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 5:27pm

MisterJohnnyT Said:

You 'used "bad", non potable water.'

Posted September 20, 2012 link

I admit, that kind of perplexed me a little.

Ideally, any water you run through your machine should be drinkable, otherwise it can contaminate the boilers.

That's kind of like saying, "I used water from the toilet and now my coffee tastes like poo."

Realistically, what you want to use is ordinary tap water, but filtering it won't hurt as long as you change the filter regularly.
If you don't ever change the filter, the water will just taste worse and worse until it starts becoming downright unhealthy.

If your water is hard (ie. high mineral content) you want to consider using softened water, otherwise this can potentially
shorten the lifespan of the machine by causing scale buildup on the inside of the boiler and components. Usually, it's
recommended the descale the machine about once every 6-12 months, depending on water hardness. If you are using an
inline water softener, I believe it isn't necessary... but you do need to recharge your water softener periodically. (Depends
on the manufacturer.)

Like anything, coffee is a beverage with a recipe. If you have horrible tasting water, you'll get horrible tasting coffee, no
matter what you do. I would recommend that not only should you get your squealing machine serviced, but you should also
flush the ever living heck out of it with water and lemon salt (ie. Citric Acid) to kill off anything which went through the machine.

Actually, I'm surprised I missed that.. Must have been tired.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
naso

Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 12:29am

qualin, thank you for taking the time to write your previous reply, was very helpful!

I was using tap water (which personally I wouldn't drink unfiltered that's why I said "bad") to test the machine. I just didn't think it would make such a big difference in the taste. I now have good water, tamp a little harder and use fresher beans (same beans from cash&carry and threw away the old ones) and saw a big difference. I'm not sure which of the 3 made the difference but probably a combination of all.  The machine still makes that noise, but not as loud (unless i went deaf), and the espresso pours slower and tastes good or at least better.  I could not figure out how to change the grind settings, the dial just won't move! I'm sure once I get freshly roasted beans like you guys suggested I will have even better shots.
zedex

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012, 11:13am

Sounds like your rotary pump bearing is very dry and on its way out. That pump wont last long, and my ears are bleeding from your video. :) The pump should be looked at yesterday.
naso

Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012, 11:46pm

oh no..and what's the cost to repair it if it's even worth it?  I haven't had a mechanic check it yet, but then again I thought I'd just keep it for a month or so until I can afford a newer one

I have an offtopic question:  Other than iced and hot drinks I want to learn how to make blended drinks.  Are there any good recipes online (i found a few but vary, not sure which is the right way), and I also tried youtube but it's mostly how to make them at home.  I have enrolled in barista training but it's not until end of October and i'm not even sure if they will teach me making blended drinks
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Sep 29, 2012, 9:41am

Get a blender and look at the recipes that come with it... then practice.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Dooglas
Dooglas

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior
Grinder: Ascaso, Baratza
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Sat Sep 29, 2012, 11:03am

Also sounds like your grinder has not been cleaned in some time and the adjustment for the burrs is jammed in place. Time for a major disassemby and cleaning of the grinder. You really have to be able to adjust the grind to correctly time your shot (i.e. too fast, go a bit finer). And about the water being "very hot". At the risk of being a smart ass, that is really not a technical term. Any water coming out of (almost) any coffee brewing device will burn you. The question would be the actual temperature. Dispense some water into a foam cup and measure the temperature with a cooking thermometer. That will give you some idea whether temperature needs to be adjusted.
Burd
Burd

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID'd
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCF
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Cuisinart Grind & Brew...
Roaster: Behmor + i-Roast
Posted Sat Sep 29, 2012, 6:40pm

Like Dooglas said about taking apart your grinder.  It's actually fairly easy if you take your time. If it is something new I am taking apart and get a bit nervous I simply draw out what I am taking off or out.  They are all like the snap together models we all had as kids.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Bitter taste and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.384883880615)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+