Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New to the forum, looking for my first machine, advice needed!
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New to the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Sep 5, 2012, 6:56am
Subject: Re: New to the forum, looking for my first machine, advice needed!

Some HX machines you might care to take a look at include  the Nuova Simonelli Oscar, the Isomac Tea, the Bezzera BZ07 or the La Nuova Era Cuadra. None of those machines fits your budget when new, but you might get lucky looking for a used model.

Besides, I still think the QuickMill Cassiopeia would work fine for you.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Thu Sep 6, 2012, 12:06am

IMHO, The Rancilio Silvia still presents good value if you can find it used.

One of the things that impressed me the most about the Silvia is the amount of commercial grade components you'll find on it.
Namely, the brew group looks identical to an Epoca, which is their light commercial machine. The switches are of a high quality
and the all stainless steel construction really shows that it has some quality.

What I don't like about it is the shallow drip tray, lack of a water level indicator, no low-water shut off (You can hear the pump
change tone though.) and it can be a little tedious to have to wait for it to get up to steaming temperature to make a milk
drink, then one has to cool it down so they can brew with it. Not to mention the problem of having to temperature surf to get
consistent shots. (Not really a problem if you drink lots of milk drinks.)

My wife doesn't like coffee, so I only make about 2 drinks a day with it, which is perfect for a machine like that. When company
is over though, making a few drinks can end up becoming a time consuming process. They'll finish their drinks before you can
start yours. I personally hate that.

I've grown fond of my Silvia, but there are some aspects about it that already have me hankering for upgradeitis. (They warned
me, I listened and I jumped on a good deal, what can I say.) My friends think I'm nuts for wanting more, but I guess I'm just finicky that way.

Of course, I'm speaking from personal experience here. Here in Canada, the big runner up are the Lelit machines, which really
give Rancilio a run for their money in this price market. Their machines are a better value and have a few features that the
Silvia doesn't have. (Like a pressure gauge and the upper end ones have built in PID temperature control.) I don't know if they
sell them in the UK though, but you'll know what I mean if you look them up.

It all really comes down to a few different things. You do get what you pay for. A lot of coffee boutique shops usually offer good
deals on an espresso machine/grinder combinations. Sometimes they pick a combination that just goes together really well.

I guess now that I think about it, something like the Silvia would be one of the very few things you'll find on the market that doesn't
have any electronics in it, whatsoever. It's completely electromechanical. That could be a good or bad thing, depending on your point of view.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Sep 7, 2012, 2:58am

The Silvia certainly has a very good resale value, but other machines in this price range have more to offer.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
skookumjo
skookumjo

Espresso: Baristar HX-E61 rotory pump
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E-B,Baratza...
Posted Mon Sep 17, 2012, 3:07am

hello Scubadoo
I too have been looking for information on the new Fracino Piccino, it's very new, ther's not much out there.
the machine however looks very interesting, this morning i found an interesting thread from the UK, here it is
cheers
daniel

Click Here (coffeeforums.co.uk)
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New to the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.350519180298)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+