Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Where is Miss Silvia?!
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Where is Miss...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 11:01am
Subject: Re: Where is Miss Silvia?!

DaveyC86 Said:

Thanks again guys, I think back to the gaggia classic it is, then just a better grinder to match! The gaggia grinders don't seem up to much tho, maybe an Ascaso or Rocky?

Posted September 18, 2012 link

If you'll look at recent threads on grinders that mention the Rocky you'll see that the Rocky isn't recommended for reasons already stated above.  Similarly, you'll see the Silvia isn't recommended as much in recent threads.

DaveyC86 Said:

Is it worthwhile getting one with a doser?

Posted September 18, 2012 link

It's a matter of personal preference.  Then again, any question of worth on any topic is a subjective matter.  I prefer a doser for reasons stated above and because it allows me to do other things while grinding.  Other people don't care for them for their own reasons.  It's impossible to even guess what your preference would be.
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 1:09am
Subject: Re: Where is Miss Silvia?!

I personally like using a Doserless because you can grind straight into the portafilter or the portafilter basket and there barely is any cleanup.
The downside is that I have to wait for the grinder to grind the right amount into the portafilter. I yearn for a grinder which has timed dosing or
weighted dosing just so that I don't have to weigh my dose every time.

If I found a really decent used dosered grinder for sale, I'd have to think long and hard about it and read up on doserless conversion if I found that
using a doser was too much a pain in the rear. Depending on the grinder, it can be done but there can be side effects, like massive clumping.

There is an awesome video on youtube that has one guy showing how easy it is to clean a dosered grinder, but you do have to clean them.
I wish I could find it....

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Where is Miss...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.356896877289)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+