Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Where do I go from here? Or another what machine to buy thread?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Where do I go...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Stiliketheblues

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: Zojirushi/Hario
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 4:08am
Subject: Where do I go from here? Or another what machine to buy thread?

So I have been working on my roasting skills over the last 1 year and with the Behmor... I am finally getting good consistent roasts.
The grinder situation is pretty decent with a Baratzza Vario.
Till now I have only used the stove top espresso... I feel its time to get a nice espresso machine.

I am the only coffee drinker. Since most of my drinking happens at work with my Hario pour over, this machine will only see use 3-4 times a week with a couple of shots pulled.
I like my lattes so the steam wand needs to be there and functional.

Now the constraints: My wife hates coffee and just about tolerates my obsession! So to avoid  divorce, I would like something compact, with good looks and good functioning. It will sit next to the kitchen sink. I have access to good filtered water and cleanup.

Since I have no previous experience doing this: something that helps me learn and grow would be preferred. My guess is that in 2-3 years I will probably be upgrading. But I dont need something so basic that needs upgrading in 6 months.

I have seen various suggestions for the CC1 and the Rancilio and some for the BDB. I dont want to get too crazy with this first purchase so, keeping it within $1000 would be my goal - lesser the better!

Also what other accessories would I need?

Please advise.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 4:48am
Subject: Re: Where do I go from here? Or another what machine to buy thread?

HI
You already have the grinder so that is taken care of. Your needs are modest and a SBDU likely would do you fine. If you want to go with a machine that is compact, meets your needs (and then some) has a modern look without acres of stainless steel and would likely be a machine to stave off upgraditus for quite a while while staying in your 1K  price range, I would go with  a Used Oscar if you can find one, they are in about the $500 to $600 range for a good one and that leaves you lots of money for tamper, cups, scales etc and you still have money for more beans, while staying in your cap.

If you go new, the Oscar would be just outside your cap without money for the other things. The life durability of the BDB is up for grabs, we have had members who have had issues with multiple machines and took a refund of their money and bought something else while there are a lot more here who like them..... YMMV!

Do you NEED an Oscar.... NO but it fits into your budget, it is a rock solid machine with a solid history of quality, it is small on the outside with a large performance ability and your price cap positively includes a used one and is within sight for a new one, esp if you are thinking about a BDB.

Again, I say, for basic needs like you outlined in your post, a basic SBDU will fill the needs abet with the hassle of switching between steam and brew. You will be looking to upgrade fairly soon as you indicate that milk drinks (I like them too) are high on your list of things you make and a quality HX machine like Oscar, will avoid the upgraditus for a long time.

Your money, decide on your needs and how much you are swayed with an eye to upgrade and how much or how large of a machine your wife will "tolerate" on the counter. I know how I am and what road I traveled but I am not you and only you can make these decisions. I only am trying to put things to think about out there so you buy with your eyes wide open.

EDIT:
The Oscar can be left on 24/7 if you so desire so it is there to do duty as a hot water dispenser should your wife need to make instant oatmeal, or for tea or something like that. A SBDU is not designed for that service and should not be left on (if that is important to you) for long periods of time.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 11:10am

Copied from another thread but I think you will find it just as useful:

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 12:01pm
Subject: Re: Gift for my wife - which machine

I like my Oscar and I don't want an upgrade after 10 months.  I think I am getting pretty awesome shots.  I did not want to upgrade as soon as I figured out what I was doing as I read so many here wanted after buying a low end starter machine. So, after much research, I decided for my budget and needs that an Oscar filled the bill.  You can find a good deal on used ones if you are handy.  Mine was my Christmas gift, that I picked out and fixed up. (but I am a strange girl)

Things your wife might find nice about Oscar over the shiny stainless brothers and sisters: No burn surface, plastic bread bags will not melt on it;  portable, good for parties; easier to clean and doesn't show water spots; can be painted any color to match her decor.  

<snip>

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 11:23am

I chose to boil/heat the water in my mug with my steam wand.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 11:41am

Or you can just push the brew button without any coffee in the basket, poof, instant 200F water, yes it will cool below that if you take a LOT but for a bowl of oatmeal or a cup of tea, you will have more than enough that way. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Where do I go...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.399165868759)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+