Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Classic novice with questions
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
frozenmouse

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 7:53pm
Subject: Gaggia Classic novice with questions

I'm looking forward to learning to use the new Gaggia Classic that's on its way to me and I could use some help from the knowledgeable folks here. I am totally inexperienced with espresso making. Never done it. Never seen it done (well, sure, seen it done in coffee shops, but never paid much attention). But in the next day or two the machine will be here and I'd like to make the most of it. Any help and support you all could provide would be very much appreciated.

My thought is that I would try to ease into the espresso making world gradually. I would start out by using the pressurized filter basket (I know, bush league) so that I don't get overwhelmed at the beginning with grind size, tamping, etc. I would learn the basic operation of the machine for a month or two, then get a grinder, use the non-pressurized filter basket, and after that, see where things go.

So my most urgent need right now is what I should be focusing on in this next month or two, though suggestions would also be appreciated on how best to make the transition to "proper" espresso making and what I'll need to be doing differently (other than, of course, engaging in grinding and tamping). I suppose hints on how to prepare the machine for first use would be helpful, but if there is a prior thread on this or a link, please point me in the right direction.

My objective at the beginning will be to make two cappuccini (or lattes) in the morning, which would require three shots apiece (so six shots in all, pretty much back to back). So, do I steam the milk first or last? Whichever way it is, what are the steps I need to take to switch the machine over from one function to another? How long will I need to wait in between pulling each set of two shots? Is there any cleaning needed of the filter basket/portafilter in between pulling each set of shots? Are there any other steps to be taken in between pulling each set of shots? Priming? What else do I need to know to do or look out for?

There you have it. Some very basic questions. I'd be grateful for your help.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 11:50pm
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic novice with questions

Welcome to CoffeeGeek!

Practicing without a grinder and using the pressurized baskets and pre-ground coffee won't prepare you for proper use of your machine, because putting ground coffee into the filter basket, screwing the portafilter into place, and pulling a shot doesn't require much training. It's dialing in the grinder and learning to work consistently (dosing, distributing, tamping, temperature surfing) that's hard. With the pressurized baskets and pre-ground coffee you'll probably get seemingly good results as far as looks are concerned, but they'll taste disappointingly. And once you start brewing your espresso properly, i.e. with a grinder and the non-pressurized basket, you'll be even more disappointed, because your results won't even look good at the beginning.

Pulling six consecutive shots with the Gaggia Classic will be very hard with its 100 ml boiler, after all six shots equal around 150 ml of espresso. Since it's a SBDU, you should pull the shots first and froth milk later, because it takes some time for the boiler to cool down again to brewing temperature after steaming.

However, it seems to me, you bought your first machine without giving it much thought, because it simply doesn't fir your needs well.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 3:02am

Sorry for being so harsh.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 3:17pm

NobbyR Said:

Practicing without a grinder and using the pressurized baskets and pre-ground coffee won't prepare you for proper use of your machine

Posted September 20, 2012 link

I agree. It will make you coffee.. but that's it. It probably won't be all that great coffee, but it'll be coffee. You need the grinder component and cheap beans
to play with before you can start learning. Then you learn what works and what doesn't work.

You need to find out what happens when you have a gusher or when you choke your machine. You need to learn how to tamp properly and suffer the
consequences when you don't. (Believe me, it's not that hard and it's not like the machine is going to blow up and kill you if you get it wrong. :-)

NobbyR Said:

Since it's a SBDU, you should pull the shots first and froth milk later, because it takes some time for the boiler to cool down again to brewing temperature after steaming.

Posted September 20, 2012 link

Some of the other people say to do it the other way with a SBDU. Personally, I find that I can cool down my boiler fast.. It's heating up the boiler from brewing to steaming that takes time.

Personally, I find that if you let steamed milk sit for too long, the microfoam starts dissipating... so brew your shots first, then steam second.

Don't worry, it took me about 40 minutes to make my first cappuccino, then 8 minutes to make my next one. :-) The time consuming part is making sink shot after sink shot until you get it right.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.370418071747)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+