Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
"best" superauto (oh no...)
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > "best" superauto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 10:31am
Subject: Re: "best" superauto (oh no...)

jkatsoudas Said:

Yes, I'm going to ask the question.  Sorry in advance.

I'd love to have a good semiauto in the house.  I've had an Expobar Brewtus in the past, and I loved the coffee it made.  However, I didn't love how long it took me to make a couple coffees in the morning, and I didn't love that I was the only one in the house that knew how to operate the thing.  if my wife or nanny or housekeeper (or whoever) wanted a coffee, I had to make it.  If I wasn't home or was in the middle of something, I had to hear about how they hated this expensive counter art that was useless to them.  So the Brewtus went away and was replaced by a Jura J5.  It's fine.  Not great, but fine, and everyone is now happy because they can press a button and get coffee.

Now my wife wants to take the J5 into work, and has given me the green light to replace it with another superauto (up to ~$3K budget).  It had been a few years since I'd shopped around, so you can imagine my elation when I initially came here and read the glowing (for a superauto) comments about the Quickmill Monza Deluxe.  I was all set to throw down the Visa, and in one final OCD moment I pulled out the tape measure and discovered (to my horror) that at 17.5" tall it's 1.5" too tall to fit anywhere on our kitchen counter (only 16" inches clearance counter to cabinet).  Sigh.

We don't do a lot of milk drinks so what's most important to us (taking the general superauto convenience as a given) is 1) brew quality 2) build quality 3) water, coffee, dreg capacity, and 4) aesthetics (yes, I admit it).  I loved that the Monza Deluxe is a metal brew group, mostly metal construction, and huge water and dreg bins.  As far as I can tell, it's in a class of its own in all these areas.  So, I've narrowed my choice down to the Jura Z7 or J9, but I'd love to hear from folks here:

1) is there any way to shorten the Monza Deluxe to 16" height? (I don't see any 'feet' that can be removed)
2) is there anything else out that's closer to the Monza Deluxe than the Jura or Saeco offerings?
3) assuming the answer to 1 and 2 is no... does anyone have any insight as to any differences in *coffee* quality between the Jura J9 and Z7?  There are lots of touchscreen, button, aesthetic and milk drink convenience differences, but there's a dearth of information on the actual brewgroups (# of thermoblocks, wattage, etc) between the two.  In a brief demo of both at my local Sur la Table, the J9 seemed to brew a hotter espresso than the Z7, but that was just n=1.  

Thoughts?

Thanks,
John

Posted September 23, 2012 link

After carrying a few different brands (Saeco, Solis, Gaggia, and Jura) of superautos, we decided to narrow our range to Jura. The main reason is that it holds the most ground coffee in the brew group, and this would lead to a better cup. There are some slight temp differences between the machines, and I personally think the S9 model produces a hotter cup. However, no superauto without a heat brewed group will compare to a traditional machine.

Several years ago, we had several Quickmill superauto machines in for evaluation. Although they had metal brew groups with heaters, we found them to be excessively hot. I did try the machine in Milan last October, and the espresso was pretty good. Hopefully, they corrected this on the Monza (prolly did as they have PID technology now and I hope they use) as they did make a few cups before serving me. I know Chris brings the Monza in, and I know he would take care of you, but you may want to conform that this machine is UPSable or you are able to diagnose problems and make repairs, as freight trucks can be very expensive. Superautos do get complicated and are not as easy as traditional machines. Good luck with your decision!

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon Sep 24, 2012, 1:50pm

jkatsoudas Said:

I'm not posting here to debate my priorities.  ..snip..  If I was a bachelor it would be a different set of priorities, but as with many things in life this one's going to be a compromise for me.

Posted September 24, 2012 link

When I was a bachelor my priorities were hot wings, beer, going to bars, ummm ... going to bars, wings, beer ...

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Dec 26, 2012, 9:37pm

The J6 (successor to the J5) is an option.  I don't know (Jura doesn't really say) if there's any difference in brewgroup between the J6 and the J9 or Z7, or if there's another brand of machine I should be looking at.

The brewgroup is the same in all of the machines in the J and Z line. The differences are in software, user interface (And the Z line has a separate heater for steam).
In Canada, getting a single boiler Jura repaired costs less than $200, includes a rebuild of the brewgroup and is probably not necessary more than once every 4 years.  It is probably the same in the United States and is probably cheaper in Europe. A Z for general service, is about $250.  Commercial units more.  People at Jura say that the brew units go 4000-5000 coffees or 4 years between needing brewgroup rebuilds.

And get your priorities straight. Coffee in the mornings...  Beer and wings in the afternoon.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > "best" superauto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.415761947632)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+