Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
need advice on a new machine
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > need advice on a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 11:27pm
Subject: Re: need advice on a new machine

I'm really leery about the idea of buying a machine with a Thermoblock in it, like the Silvano.

The reason being is that if your water is hard, scale will build up on the inside of the thermoblock. Eventually, if it
gets thick enough, it will act as an insulator and cause the thermoblock to overheat. Since a lot of thermoblocks
don't have a high limit trip, the heating element will burn out.

So, from a reliability standpoint, I would personally stay away from thermoblocks.

I'm speaking from my knowledge involving the steam generator found on LG washing machines, they're quite
prone to failure after a few short years of use. They work on the same concept.

However, If you use softened water all the time with it, it's not a big deal.

From what I can tell, Rocket does make high quality machines. They're all handmade.

Bezzera has a huge offering in the market which you are describing. Something like the BZ07 or the BZ10 will meet
your needs and your pricing. However, if you can spend that little bit more and get the Magica, do so.

Good luck!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IndianaBrewer

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Drip: Cusinart Grind and Brew
Posted Sat Nov 3, 2012, 7:35pm

Hi Kray,

If you decide to stick with another Silvia, I have a gently used PID'd Silvia, that was built by hightechespresso.com.

I will be posting it in the classifieds section shortly, thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
kray

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior HX
Grinder: Macap MX
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 7:12am

Still shopping,which is not unusual for my hyper-compulsvie personality ;-). However I think I've narrowed the choices a bit (primarily based on budget).

1. Rocket Cillini
  2. Quick Mill QM67

I'm wondering if anyone has strong feelings about these two machines. The choice seems to be between a dual boiler PID Quick Mill, or, the HX Rocket. Do wither of these machines have a better reputation of the build quality, reliability front? My personal style preference is the Rocket... It just seems a little more polished, but I'm not sure if that makes up for the practical advantages of the Quick Mill.

Thoughts?
hydrologic

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 12:35pm

The Vivaldi is an excellent machine. Very consistent shots and I love the volumetric dosing.
smasha

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 2:23am

Hi I have recently been through the decision process and my final choices were Rocket Celini, ECM Giotto and Quickmill Anita.  

I did not consider any double boilers.  My reasoning for not wanting to go double boiler is I want my espresso water heated fresh and not left in a boiler for some time being heated and reheated many times before making an espresso.  I am sure others will challenge this point, but it is my reasoning.

So that meant I was only choosing between HX machines.  The QM, ECM and Rocket were are similarly spec'ed and in the end my decision came to aesthetics.   As someone mentioned to me here on this forum a machine like this is likely and has the potential to be in your kitchen for a few decades, get the one you like how it looks.

So I opted for the rocket as I like the layout, it has quality controls and the panel work is very tidy.

In the end as I will be moving house again and again I might come across times where I can plumb in so I opted for the evo V2 with rotary pump that supports plumbing and black dials.  The black dials are sexy.  just dont tell my wife how much I spent on it ....
coffee_no_sugar

Espresso: pavoni pub, brasilia club
Grinder: mazzer sj, mdf, infinity
Drip: melitta clarity
Roaster: popcorn
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 3:12am

kray Said:

After 20 bazillion shots of espresso, my nearly 20 year old Rancilio Silvia has died. While are many new machines on the market, due to the incredible longevity of old my Silvia, it is hard to not simply buy another Silvia. However I am also looking at a Pasquini Livietta T2. Please share your opinions. All advice is welcome.

Posted September 26, 2012 link

If you were happy with your Silvia, why not fix her up?  She is a simple machine and new parts are available.  What happened?  BTW if you decide not to repair her, there is a good market for broken silvias on eBay.
qualin
qualin

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 11:49am

smasha Said:

My reasoning for not wanting to go double boiler is I want my espresso water heated fresh and not left in a boiler for some time being heated and reheated many times before making an espresso.

Posted November 12, 2012 link

I've done some research on myself, this is a bit of a myth. Most brew boilers are fairly small and the water will get cycled through the boiler without any impact to the taste of the coffee. The water in the reservoir
is probably more prone to affecting the taste in your coffee than what is in the brew boiler. I make tea at work from water which has been reboiled and I can't discern any change in flavor from fresh water.

smasha Said:

in the end my decision came to aesthetics.

Every vendor I've spoken to tells me that when you are getting into higher end prosumer machines, that's pretty much it. The feature set is fairly similar and it's mostly aesthetics at this point in time.

smasha Said:

in so I opted for the evo V2 with rotary pump that supports plumbing and black dials.

I will admit, that is a nice machine. I've heard good things about it.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
randychar813
randychar813
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 95% of time: Izzo Alex...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E type A;...
Vac Pot: french press
Drip: no
Roaster: SF 6 lber; Hottop
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 12:46pm

If I were upgrading again I would get the following:
Grinder: Versalab M3

Machine: 1st choice The 2 group Slayer for all variables of the shot process
2nd choice The black Speedster single group
3rd choice La Marzocco GS/3 , Paddle Version
4th IAD2 (own it)
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 7:09pm

randychar813 Said:

If I were upgrading again I would get the following:
Grinder: Versalab M3

Machine: 1st choice The 2 group Slayer for all variables of the shot process
2nd choice The black Speedster single group
3rd choice La Marzocco GS/3 , Paddle Version
4th IAD2 (own it)

Got the VL-M3 and the LM GS/3 MP, they produce great shots but I probably should have gotten a lever machine for pulling shots.  Way more simple and so much less to go wrong with the lever machine.

Whatever you get, try to simplify things.
qualin
qualin

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 9:20pm

The Londinium I Luxe machine fascinates me.. If only for the custom made group, quality and style.

I suspect that one of these machines, after shipping, customs, taxes, etc would run probably somewhere around what an Elektra T1 would cost.

I think it would easily last 20 years for home use, with no problems.

Although, realistically it's just too large a machine for a standard kitchen. Lever machines don't work well if you plan on using them under counter, only because the lever is too tall.

Realistically, the Alex Duetto is about as large a machine as I can fit into my kitchen at this time.

showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > need advice on a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.445713043213)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+