Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville BES840XL any comments from owners?
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
cooldogcaboose

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2012, 8:28am
Subject: Breville BES840XL any comments from owners?

I'm looking to get an espresso machine and this one seems to fit the bill. Great options at a low cost. I'd love to hear about any comments those who own the unit would have to offer.

Thanks!

One review that I'm sure most have viewed if looking for this unit:

Click Here (blog.seattlecoffeegear.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
pmdesherb

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville Cafe Roma
Grinder: Baratza Vistuoso
Roaster: Yes but not anymore
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 1:03pm
Subject: Re: Breville BES840XL any comments from owners?

English is my second language, sorry if my writing is not perfect...

I just received that machine today. I bought it at The Bay, on line, for 420 plus taxes instead of 570 plus taxes. Free shipping.

I have the BES830XL (but not with me i gave it to my sweet love while she's in Montreal studying). While in Montreal with here, we went to the store and i saw that it was on special. We were going to get a Bialetti Brikka from GreenBeanery, which i did, but i am very disappointed with the Brikka. So i said to my girlfriend, keep the BES830XL and i will get the 840.

I am very satisfied with the 830. But the 840 is way better. And at 420$, it is a very reasonable price for that type of espresso machine.

The 830, i got it at Costco for 300$ and i bought 3 before getting one working. That is kind of scary but i said for 300$ and with the Costco warranty, i felt secure.

So for the price difference, the 840 is a very much better machine. The espresso i made today are way better, with a nice crema, with the pressurize or the not pressurize basket.

I like to have the choice of pressurize or not pressurize filter. That way, when the coffee does not give crema with the unpressurize basket, for whatever resin, usually with the pressurize basket you can get an ok espresso.

With the BES840XL, you get PID, thermocoil, dry puck, hot water dispenser, steam. At 420$, it is an espresso machine to recommend. At 570, maybe have a look at Gaggia or others, which i do not have any experience with and from what i read here are better than Breville, but keep in mind that Breville does not have a good reputation here, rightly or wrongly….
chex
chex
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Q M Silvano, Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: 2xMazzer SJs, Major, WW2 era...
Drip: Hario pourover, presses,...
Roaster: Behmor, stovetop...
Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 2:43pm
Subject: Re: Breville BES840XL any comments from owners?

I imagine this is your first espresso setup. First, did you factor in a grinder? Even if you buy some of the most expensive dual boiler, pid, e-61 commercial monsters on the market, without a good grinder, you might as well be using a little walmart special steam toy. Also what are your needs? Will you want something to make strictly espresso, or milk based drinks, and how many at a time? All of that can factor because what's good for me may not be good for someone else.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.33603310585)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+