Espresso: Espresso Machines
Why Tweak Grinders - Solis 166 / Starbucks Barista
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Why Tweak...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
gordco
gordco
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Starbuck Barrista
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 12:43pm
Subject: Why Tweak Grinders - Solis 166 / Starbucks Barista

I've notices some tips on how to tweak the grinder to achieve a finer grind. Does anyone know what the drawback  is? If they need to be tweaked, then why didn't the manufacturer do that in the first place?
Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 3:17pm
Subject: Re: Why Tweak Grinders - Solis 166 / Starbucks Barista

Was your last car perfect in every way?  Look how many people "tweak" their cars, to get better gas mileage, more horsepower, etc., etc., etc.  

Some grinders are -- for example -- stepped, and some of the "tweaks" or modifications might make it stepless.  Some grinders may not even BE espresso grinders (grinding for espresso is very different than grinding for any other method of preparation), and the "tweak" might make it possible . . . and so on and so on and so on.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 4:07pm

Sometimes people are tweaking grinders because they bought the one they could afford and are trying to turn it into the one they really wanted.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 4:21pm

Well said.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Sep 30, 2012, 7:40pm

Gordco,

I would just bite the bullet and consider upgrading your grinder to something which is espresso capable instead of wasting your time on trying to modify a grinder
which really wasn't meant to grind espresso to begin with.

Manufacturers designed and engineered the grinder in such a way where it isn't precise enough to grind espresso. If you modified the grinder to something other than
what it was originally designed for, you could get adverse results or even possibly undesirable operation. (ie. Inconsistent grind, fines, etc.) In other words, the end
result may not be what you wanted.

Look on the Buy & Sell Forum, you might find something which may interest you.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 2:36am

qualin Said:

Gordco,

I would just bite the bullet and consider upgrading your grinder to something which is espresso capable instead of wasting your time on trying to modify a grinder
which really wasn't meant to grind espresso to begin with.

Posted September 30, 2012 link

+1  I have one of these (the Dualit badged version) and for what it is and the price, it's not at all a bad grinder - use mine for everything other than espresso.  They aren't designed or engineered precisely enough to do an espresso grind for a commercial type non-pressurised portafilter.  Rather, they were expected to be used with the lower end domestic espresso machines, where the need for accurate and consistent grind quality is avoided by the use of pressurised filter baskets.
Eiron
Eiron

Espresso: Quick Mill 0930
Grinder: Quick Mill 031,...
Drip: TechniVorm KBTS
Roaster: Behmor 1600, Presto Poplite
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 11:14am

gordco Said:

I've notices some tips on how to tweak the grinder to achieve a finer grind. Does anyone know what the drawback  is? If they need to be tweaked, then why didn't the manufacturer do that in the first place?
Thanks

Posted September 30, 2012 link

Drawbacks: You won't be able to grind as coarse, & things may not go back together quite a nicely as they were from the factory.
Factory Setup: Sometimes they are. The best way to tell is to 'Zero Out' your grinder & see if you can get the burrs to touch (ideally, at "0").

For your specific example Solis 166/Starbucks Barista, I have this grinder & it came from the factory set to the finest grind possible (the burrs actually touched at "0"). Of course, since the grind range is finite, moving the 'grind scale' finer (even from the factory) meant that it wouldn't grind anywhere near coarse enough for French Press. (Its coarsest grind was finer than store-bought "drip grind".) About a year ago I actually 'de-tuned' it to grind as coarse as possible. It's still not as coarse as it should be for FP, but at least it's usable now. (I have a separate grinder only for espresso.)

"Just what I need - another 'geek' label..."
- my friend Mark, on being told of Coffee Geek's existence

Good, affordable espresso: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/355707
Coffee's hot enough for OCD: www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/330079
Personal & global health: http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com/ci_12802509
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Why Tweak...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Jebana from Ethiopia
Ultra Low Tech, for the CoffeeGeek with everything. Beautiful, and Functional too.
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.413578987122)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+