Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rancilio Silvia - no crema / pours slow
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
rpaulo

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012, 11:06am
Subject: Rancilio Silvia - no crema / pours slow

We just purchased a Rancilio Silvia with a Baratza Preciso. I've been having a problem with the Rancilio Silvia and I was wondering if it's a problem with the machine I have or simply a protection system.
We started getting good shots with lots of crema pretty early on and the coffee flow coming out of the portafilter was ok (still need to fine tune the grinder, but practice makes perfect). Late last week, we started having a problem with the machine. First there was no crema and the coffee flow was minimal. I thought it was simply a mistake with the grinding setting, or during dosing or incorrect tamping. After wasting 12 oz. of coffee beans and trying many different grind settings the problem didn't go away.
After being frustrated for a while, I checked the relief tube. There was no water coming out of it when the water pump button was on (the steam dial was closed). I knew this was wrong and I let it run like that for a bit. After 10 seconds I heard a click and water started coming out of the tube. I thought "OK, that's better" and then I tried to brew another espresso. It worked wonderfully. Yesterday the same exact problem happened again and the same solution fixed it.
So, is there something wrong with my machine or is it something else? The coffee beans were roasted last week, so I doubt it's any problem with the coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
rpaulo

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 7:04pm
Subject: Re: Rancilio Silvia - no crema / pours slow

Now we can't make the machine work again. Any ideas? I'm about to return it.
zedex

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 7:13pm

Can you run water through the steam valve?  Turn machine on and prime it by turning on the pump and steam switch and opening the steam valve. I sold my silvia years ago and IIRC thats how you do it. This makes sure the boiler is filled with water. When water comes out of the steam wand then the boiler is full.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 7:28pm

Just to clarify, do you hear the pump run?

If you run the pump/brew and open the steam wand water should come out there in full flow.  The pump can output about 10 cc/sec if no resistance.

Have you descaled, and when?

Have you backflushed regularly?  The 3 way can get stuck.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
rpaulo

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 8:05pm

zedex Said:

Can you run water through the steam valve?  Turn machine on and prime it by turning on the pump and steam switch and opening the steam valve. I sold my silvia years ago and IIRC thats how you do it. This makes sure the boiler is filled with water. When water comes out of the steam wand then the boiler is full.

Posted October 1, 2012 link

I can run water through the steam wand.
rpaulo

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 8:09pm

D4F Said:

Just to clarify, do you hear the pump run?

If you run the pump/brew and open the steam wand water should come out there in full flow.  The pump can output about 10 cc/sec if no resistance.

Have you descaled, and when?

Have you backflushed regularly?  The 3 way can get stuck.

Yes, the pump is running but it makes a slightly different sound. Water comes out of the steam wand in full flow. I never descaled because this machine is brand new (bought it +- 1 week ago). I backflushed twice today but there was no effect on the espresso.

I noticed something weird, but I don't know what's the cause: When I turn on the hot water pump (second button) *and* I don't open the steam wand valve no water is coming out of the relief tube (the second tube that goes into the water reservoir). I thought that water must come out of the relief tube every time you don't open the steam wand valve. What I find interesting is that when it does, I can pour a good espresso. When it doesn't, it's the worst espresso ever.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 8:43pm

I guess that I did not understand that you bought it new.  Scale should not be a problem.  You could speak with the seller about problems or understanding the machine.  

It seems that the pump is ok, normal flow ot the steam arm.  If no PF on the group is there good flow out the group with the brew switch?

Is the backflush normal, can you definitely detect good backflush flow?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
rpaulo

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 9:00pm

D4F Said:

I guess that I did not understand that you bought it new.  Scale should not be a problem.  You could speak with the seller about problems or understanding the machine.  

It seems that the pump is ok, normal flow ot the steam arm.  If no PF on the group is there good flow out the group with the brew switch?

Is the backflush normal, can you definitely detect good backflush flow?

Sorry, what's PF? Water is coming out of the brew head with no problems, but when I try to brew an espresso it comes out really slowly, very black and no crema.
Regarding backflush, I did see the water coming out of the 3 way solenoid when I backflushed.
If you have a Silvia, do you see water coming out of the second rubber tube every time you turn on the hot water pump but keep the steam wand dial closed?
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 9:03pm

After steaming, are you refilling teh boiler? Low water level is the only "normal" situation that would explain the problem.
Otherwise, sounds like either a pump pressure problem or a problem with water supply to the pump.

Time to contact the seller.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rpaulo

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 9:08pm

frcn Said:

After steaming, are you refilling teh boiler? Low water level is the only "normal" situation that would explain the problem.
Otherwise, sounds like either a pump pressure problem or a problem with water supply to the pump.

Time to contact the seller.

Yes, the boiler is always with enough water. I've been thinking about low pump pressure as well, but alas, I have no way to measure it.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.427561044693)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+