Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Looking to buy our first commercial machine - advice needed
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Looking to buy...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Jjprestidge

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 11:58am
Subject: Looking to buy our first commercial machine - advice needed

I'm looking for a two group commercial machine for a small coffeeshop venture (an old chestnut, I know, but hear me out!)

As we will be sitting towards the quality end of the spectrum, I really want something with good thermal stabillity and the ability easily to change temperature to suit the espresso. The problem is that I don't have the capital to be able to splash out on an LM with PID, at least not initially.

I have been looking at the triple boiler Expobar G10, which seems to have most of the features we want, but is within budget. I've heard a few good things about this machine, but it's not that well known generally.

Can anyone give me any advice on this. I already have some decent Mazzer grinders, so that side of things us sorted.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

JP
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 3:15pm
Subject: Re: Looking to buy our first commercial machine - advice needed

Here in the States, many people have a) truly loved their Expobar Brewtus models of double-boiler prosumer espresso machines; and b) reported problems with Expobar's "lesser" HX models for home use.  

I have never seen a multi-group Expobar machine being used in a café here in the US, nor -- for that matter -- can I recall seeing one in Spain.  They may have been there -- Expobar is Spanish, after all -- it's just that I didn't notice them.  Saw a lot of Cimbalis, though.

Sorry . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
Jjprestidge

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 12:28am

Thanks. I have seen a few Expobar machines over here, but they are fairly rare. What are the problems with the consumer HX models?

Cheers,

JP
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 8:09am

Poor build quality . . . that's been my personal experience, and others have reported similar experiences.  The Brewtus line, OTOH, is a different story, apparently.

Bgosselin

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 8:20pm

I know nothing about commercial machine.  But my favorite coffe shop use a Mirage.

http://www.keesvanderwesten.com/

Probably expensive but just stunning look.
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 4:48am

I think your best bet is to get two old Saeco Rio Vapores and put them next to each other. They can be buddies.

It's really a shame you're not in the States, because I've got a two group CMA Rio Astoria I'm trying to sell.
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 4:54am

Bgosselin Said:

I know nothing about commercial machine.  But my favorite coffe shop use a Mirage.

Posted October 11, 2012 link

Ha.  Although I agree.....kees vanderwesten machines are the cadillac of espresso machines.  Think speedster, but on large scale. Big leap from expobar. And $$ to boot.
Candy

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 8:37am
Subject: Needed help to buy a espresso, coffee maker combo!

Dear all,

I am brand new to the site and could not figure out how to post a new topic....this is the only place I am able to post something, please pardon me if I am off topic here.

I have no expertise in finding a good machine, I started reading all kinds of reviews.  At the beginning I like Krups but there are plenty of bad reviews for a

KRUPS XP604050 Automatic Pump Espresso Machine with Thermoblock system and Coffee Maker Combination, Die Cast

that I am originally interested in....I am desparate as my husband's birthday is coming closer (he would have been the person I ask for advice as he is a coffee lover but I would be giving it away if I ask him!)

I am looking to spend about $350-$450
coffee maker & espresso maker combo
metallic look as my fridge is stainless steel

Really trying to look for something that last (if I am paying $350-$450) and if things should happen, it is not impossible to obtain replacement parts, good warranty and customer services.

If you have any advice to offer or if you have good experience with certain machines...anything...any advice is much much appreciated!!

Candy
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 9:18am

Candy the new topic button is on the upper right corner of the thread text box. at the top of the page
I am on my cell phone so I am not as through as I normally am. Please read the how to buy an. Espresso machine FAQ under the main heading of.      Guides and how to.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 9:27am
Subject: Re: Needed help to buy a espresso, coffee maker combo!

Welcome, Candy, to CoffeeGeek.

The problem you're going to have is that combination machines -- those that claim to produce both espresso and coffee -- generally do neither task very well.  The parts are poorly made and inferior to the parts found in separate machines.  The grinder in particular is an especially weak link in the chain.

Now, that said, no one is suggesting you need to spend $1,000 -- a number commonly bandied about here.  But you might want to consider separate machines.  For example, something like this Bonavita Coffee Maker, and maybe a Gaggia Evolution.

Drawback: you will still need a grinder.

Sorry.

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Looking to buy...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.406811952591)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+