Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia coffee - slow water flow
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia coffee -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
caffeine_demon

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 2:36am
Subject: Gaggia coffee - slow water flow

Hi guys,

I have just set up my gaggia coffee after moving, and the water flow is extremely slow.

it'S the flow through the brewhead that is running so slowly - the wand's water flow is fine, and it still runs slowly with no portafilter in place, so it isnt the coffee! - It's taking about 2 minutes to pour a shot glass worth.  The pump itself sounds very quiet, but as mentioned, the wand is fine.

Any ideas what might be causing this?
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 7:17am
Subject: Re: Gaggia coffee - slow water flow

Coffee residue behind the shower screen is the most likely culprit.  Take the screen off and have a look and clean.  I don't think the Coffee has a three way valve (there'll be a pipe from the group area to the drip tray if it does), so back flushing is out.  You might also want to descale it after cleaning - the move might have shifted some scale flakes into the group valve/boiler outlet area that's now blocking the flow.  

Also check the hoses in the tank and inside for kinks - moving the machine might have shifted something inside.
caffeine_demon

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 12:43pm

I decided to give it a good clean, so bought some allen keys and screwdrivers (the others are still at mum n dads!)

I get the shower screen off and give that a good clean, and attempt to get the allen screws out..

I'm gonna need a better allen key - the poundland ones are very small so you can't get enough purchase to undo it!

I'll try again at the weekend - in the meantime, the water flow is up from almost non existant to painfully slow!
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 1:04pm

Getting the dispersion block off (the bit held on with Allen screws) is a right pig if it hasn't been removed for a while.  You have to take the gasket off with it, and could damage it, so be careful (or buy a spare now, they aren't expensive).

You could try putting a coffee cleaner through the machine, but it needs to be safe for use with aluminium boilers.  I can't remember which one is the right one for that right now.
tracerbullet
tracerbullet

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 10:06am

Agreed, take the screen off first and check behind it. Should just be a screwdriver bit to do it.

Next up take the thick round block off, w/ the allen wrenches (2 cap screws, 5mm if I recall correctly). Agreed it can be a bear, you may need to partially put the shower screen screw back in and use that w/ some other kind of leveraging setup to get things apart.

Clean everything you see - the back of the screw and the top and bottom of the round blocky thing including where the water passes through it.

That will likely solve the problem, if not then you will have to go further upstream, to remove scale in or near the boiler.
caffeine_demon

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 3:12pm

got it all undone and descaled (didn't have any descaler on hand, so I used orange juice!!) and it's all running nicely now!

Now I need to find some good coffee in birmingham.....
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia coffee -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.341182231903)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+