Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Confusion persists in choosing a machine.... CC1: Talk me into it!
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Confusion...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 2:43pm
Subject: Re: Confusion persists in choosing a machine.... CC1: Talk me into it!

germantownrob Said:

( on more then one occasion in the BST I had to knock myself unconscious to not buy a speedster listed).

Posted October 10, 2012 link

LOL, really. I can identify with the sigh of relief when one comes up and then sells before I grow a brain tumor. What part of Michigan, more or less? It would be hard to go wrong with any of those really. I am interested in messing with a lever and i have the room....plus when i get tired of it i could sell it, the Duetto put 5k with it and buy the Speedster, sweet.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 2:48pm

germantownrob Said:

I feel like the Cc1 should be fine for two people making drinks but would not really think it could keep up with multiple drinks in a row which Oscar does no problem, so consider your normal usage as well as if you would use it while entertaining.

They actually did a test with a couple machines making 4 lattes, the Oscar was at 11 min 4s, and CC1 was 12 min 45s, pretty impressive for a single boiler, that thermoblock makes a huge difference.... Silvia in comparison was at 17 min 50s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KUlocRydXw

You can't pull straight shots after shots immediately one after another like a high end h/x, Oscar even has the edge there even though it's on the slow side for an h/x, but if your making hot/or iced lattes I find by the time I'm done with the drink and the PF is cleaned and grind some more beans... that the temp had already recovered quickly and been sitting at whatever temp I set it at. Actually even pulling a straight shot, drinking it, cleaning the PF and grinding again the temp was already ready, it recovers pretty quickly, faster then any single boiler machine I've used... just not as quick as an h/x which is basically always "on" and "ready" lol

DeanOK - do you have a tamper, or more accurately a 58mm tamper? The CC1 comes with a nice plastic tamper, not flimsy at all like what comes with other machines, looks just like a plastic version of most metal tampers. But a nice tamper still makes a big differences as you get that nice solid weight vs the light weight of the plastic one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/280827358808 is where quite a few of us on here have bought from as they can make custom sizes that are about as 100% accurate as you can get, you'll want the 58mm. Can't beat that guys pricing, he has various types as well, and you can choose your type of base for it.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 4:25pm

CMIN Said:

DeanOK - do you have a tamper, or more accurately a 58mm tamper?

No, I don't. The old cheapo semi machine I had had a tamping "knob" that hung from the machine and that is all I ever used.  I did see that the CC1 came with a tamper and while I figured it wasn't much, I figured I would start out with it.

What is the advantages of serrated, flat and convex?
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Wed Oct 10, 2012, 4:29pm

In a party environment I can bang 4 doubles out in less then 2 min a piece and steam the  10 oz or less milk during the 2nd pull , I can have all four drinks done in less then 10 min. Bunny's one video shot on the Oscar is showing a very slow pull ( probably 40 sec or more) so the test is less then optimal. While I may not be impressed by their Oscar numbers I am impressed with their CC1 numbers. The only thing that slows me down is me, Oscar is ready to go with brew temps quicker then I can go and using the stock tip it can froth 10oz of milk in under 30 sec for two doubles. So really if alcohol is not involved and people are not talking to me I could actually bang 4 drinks out in 8 minutes if I had the skills..
CMIN

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 8:00am

DeanOK Said:

No, I don't. The old cheapo semi machine I had had a tamping "knob" that hung from the machine and that is all I ever used.  I did see that the CC1 came with a tamper and while I figured it wasn't much, I figured I would start out with it.

What is the advantages of serrated, flat and convex?

The tamper it comes with is pretty nice, the base even screws off, it's basically a nice plastic version of normal metal tampers in feel and looks. But the difference is the weight, it's much lighter. Metal tampers are easier b/c you can just place them on the grounds and let their initial weight compress the grounds before tamping yourself. They just have that nice, heavy solid feel in your hand. The CC1 tamper is nice, but it could use another mm or two for a tighter fit with the doses I do (15-18g in the double basket), around 14 it's ok as the basket slightly tapers so the CC1 tamper will fit just slightly down more to compress then a 58mm tamper. So that way you can have the CC1 if your using small doses, and the nice metal one for larger doses.

The bases normally used are flat which would be regular flat base, or the convex which has a slight curve shaped to it... like this: Click Here (www.home-barista.com) . Convex is a bit more forgiving b/c the way it compresses it really forces the grounds against the walls avoiding outer channeling on extraction (water follows least resistance). But either is fine. No idea on serrated, you see them for sale, but there's like no info anywhere on what their purpose is for. Tamping if your not used to it an be a bit tricky, it took me about a month or two to get a nice even tamp for an even flow on the spouted PF and no sprtiz's on the bottomless PF. My countertops are high so it makes it tricky to get a nice even leverage. Crazy how a slight difference to one side makes a huge difference on extraction, you can feel you got a nice even tamp only to see one of the spouts coming out nice and the other choking/dripping lol. You'll pry want to look up WDT, and stir the grounds with a needle before tamping.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012, 11:40am

CC1 looked impressive at the coffee show.  I might have considered one if I had seen one when I started.   Bill impressed me also.  However, I would not replace Oscar for one.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
balcy24

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bunn STX
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 7:51pm

I bought a new CC1 and a new Vario almost a month ago. The CC1 has been great. The Vario broke this morning so go figure! It was just the set screw coming loose on the gear causing the belt to slip off. I got great support from Baratza on how to fix it without shipping it back to them so all is well again!

I am a newbie at espresso so I can't comment on how the CC1 compares to other machines but I am very pleased with it. I wanted a PID but didn't want to spend a fortune on adding a PID to the Silvia. Today, I made a latte that was much better than anything I bought at Starbucks (I know that is old news to people here but remember I am a newbie) so I am very pleased. The first few tries I had problems grinding too fine as I was choking out the PF but I am now in the ballpark. I am using the included naked PF to learn about how how the coffee flows with my tamping. As to settings, I found a grind time of 12.1 seconds gives me 18 grams of coffee. I am using a setting of macro 1 and micro G if that helps.  

As the CC1 is a new machine, reliability is still an unknown but I am very pleased considering it came with a 2 year warranty.

Later,
Dave
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Confusion...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.426758050919)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+