Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 19 last page next page
Author Messages
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/PID,...
Grinder: Lelit PL53, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama TCA-5 Siphon
Drip: V60 (A red one!)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 13, 2011, 11:36am
Subject: DeLonghi EC155 (and EC152CD, EC310, etc.) Modification Guide & Ideas

This topic will hopefully help those of us with DeLonghis to pull better espressos. Feel free to post any EC155/BAR/152/310/etc. mods here.

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Posted Sun Mar 13, 2011, 11:43am
Subject: Re: DeLonghi EC155 Modification Guide & Ideas

The first and most important mod it seems would be the unpressurized basket and open portafilter.
I have tried the DeLonghi 607706 two cup basket. It fits in the portafilter handle, but holds too much ground coffee.
I just ordered the Krups MS-090716 basket after finding this video Click Here (www.youtube.com)
Also I ordered DeLonghi 606348 two cup basket based on the CoffeeGeek review.

The DeLonghi parts site is located here: http://www.delonghi-accessories.com/index.php?cPath=59

(Edit: Link now broken...)

There's a big difference between drinking coffee to wake up and waking up to drink coffee.
jaybelknap
jaybelknap
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: delonghi ec-155
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: none
Drip: cuisinart dcc-2000
Roaster: none
Posted Tue May 17, 2011, 4:48pm

i've herd that some la pavoni baskets work (the millennium series)

if you want a quick fix just take out the plastic part under the metal filter (the one with the holes in it) and reinstall it in the rubber gasket.
note: when you nock out the puck the filter will fall out with it, so a nockbox is useful.

From experience i wouldn't recommend using a filter from the krups steam powered espresso machines because the holes are to big and some grinds come through. It makes nice crema but makes shot have a strong bitter bite.

for better micro foam i drilled a 1/16" hole in a stainless steel acorn nut (measurements for nut size can be found at protofusion.org)
though when i switch back to the plastic froth aider for kicks the steam power seemed stronger so maybe cutting the aider maybe better

RSVP terry's tamper is a good tamper size (52mm on one end 58mm on the other)

random tip:

if you machine is dripping water when left on to heat up, try descaling boiler and steam wand. i use dergol swiss

in the end it seems with low end machines you get better consistency when used as manufacture intended
when using froth aider milk steams fast, steaming is done by the time the "ok" light goes off or just after
when using pressurizing piece in filter extraction doesn't start blonding till 30 sec and shot isnt as bitter (temp surfing helps ;) )
 View Profile Link to this post
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Posted Fri Jul 29, 2011, 10:30pm

Thanks for the post, jaybelknap. I'm curious about those la pavoni baskets...
By the way, my espresso style has drastically changed in the past five months, as I now have a grinder :)
I'll have to post a new video soon.

Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Posted Sat Sep 3, 2011, 12:26pm

So, since a few more Ec155 users have joined the forums, I've decided to update this topic a bit. First of all, here is my most recent video, though a poor shot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvZU64QcelQ

Here are some pics of my portafilter/baskets and steam tips:
Steam Tip
Chopped Portafilter
Compared to Stock ("Stock" is also unpressurized)

Cheers,
~Nick

clearvision

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Sep 6, 2011, 3:22pm

Hey Nick,

Thanks for your reply in the other thread, thought it would be better to continue discussions here though!

After watching many videos on the fitting of gaggia style pannarello wand's I've come to the conclusion that it MUST fit the EC155 (I hope). So I've bought one along with a 'Terry's Tamper'. I'll post results here when it arrives :)

I've just been watching your video, could you provide a brief guide on where you bought your spare PF / new basket (is it this one? Click Here (www.thegourmetdepotco.com) )and how you made it 'naked'? Also, are you in the UK or US and if you are UK how much did the PF / basket set you back?

Cheers, Rob
Nickfrogger
Nickfrogger

Posted Tue Sep 6, 2011, 4:49pm

That sounds great, let us know how it works! I've recently begun making latté's for my college room mates, so a nice steam wand would be good to have. Plus, I've always wanted to make art... Can't imagine why though ;)

I did buy the Krups basket, but after using it a few times stopped using it. Due to its drastic funneling (or whatever you call it) everything around the edge of the puck gets over-extracted, and even a .5 oz ristretto tasted lungo.

I said:

I have tried the DeLonghi 607706 two cup basket. It fits in the portafilter handle, but holds too much ground coffee.

But I was wrong. Originally when I started this topic I thought the puck should expand to the grouphead (I thought that was the purpose of pre-infusion) but discovered that is not the case (in fact, that is bad because the water will puch a hole in the coffee bed). My favourite basket (and the one I'd recommend) is #607706, for double shots (I've been using 18g grounds pulling about 1.75oz in 28 seconds). The one-cup #606348 works nicely for singles, but I rarely make single shots.

The portafilter is just a replacement part from DeLonghi's website (#5045-1757-1714-3 for Europe or 7313271179 for USA). To make it naked, I cut the bottom plastic part of the handle in half where it meets the circular part. I had to file down the screw socket to get my basket to fit as well. My other one is bottomless as well, but I left the screw so I can put the bottom back on to make two singles. If you want, I can take some pictures to help explain.

I'm in the U.S., so I got them from DeLonghi's terrible supply site http://www.delonghi-accessories.com/index.php?cPath=59
Edit: DeLonghi no longer runs this domain. I'll post the new domain when I find it.

This appears to be the UK site:
http://www.4delonghi.co.uk/cgi-bin/home.pl
The basket costs £4.49 and the filter handle costs £7.49 there.

Nice choice on the Terry's tamper. It works fantastically, especially if you can't justify spending more on the tamper then the machine :D

Hope this helps, and let us know how the steaming wand works for you!

Cheers,
~Nick

Edit: I am no longer sure about the product numbers, I believe  607706 is what I use but I could be wrong. Just a warning... Sorry!

ahavriluk

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Sep 9, 2011, 11:13am

An interesting article about EC155 pressure measurements:
Click Here (benkrasnow.blogspot.com)

Thank you,
Alexander.
ahavriluk

Espresso: Quick Mill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011, 8:16pm

If you want to depressurize EC155's filter, I just got a new 2 cup filter from Krups XP2070 Click Here (www.krupsonlinestore.com)
It fits perfectly.

Thank you,
Alexander.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011, 8:23pm

ahavriluk Said:

If you want to depressurize EC155's filter, I just got a new 2 cup filter from Krups XP2070 Click Here (www.krupsonlinestore.com)
It fits perfectly.

Posted September 22, 2011 link

Krups MS-620354 2 Cup Filter

For models numbered:
XP2010 XP2070 XP4000 XP4030 XP4050

I have the XP4000 and XP4030.  These models (as well as the XP2070) use the same portafilter and filter basket.  These filter baskets have a double bottom and are
pressurized too.

Krups #0907163 Espresso Maker Filter Cup (2 Cup) is non pressurized and fits the Krups portafilter for these models.

Click Here (www.nelsonappliance.com)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
showing page 1 of 19 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi EC155...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.355800151825)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+