Espresso: Espresso Machines
Looking to buy our first commercial machine - advice needed
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Looking to buy...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 8:29am
Subject: Re: Needed help to buy a espresso, coffee maker combo!

thanks Jason

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Candy

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 9:50am
Subject: Re: Looking to buy our first commercial machine - advice needed

thanks so much calblacksmitha nd Jason:)

candy
 View Profile Link to this post
Bgosselin

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 5:34pm
Subject: Re: Needed help to buy a espresso, coffee maker combo!

Back to topic.

The mirage maybe expensive but its a real piece of art.  It's a decoration piece on top of beeing an espresso machine.
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 6:20pm
Subject: Subject: Re: Looking to buy our first commercial machine - advice needed

Bgosselin Said:

Back to topic.

The mirage maybe expensive but its a real piece of art.  It's a decoration piece on top of beeing an espresso machine.

Posted October 12, 2012 link

That's back on topic? You've already stated that and I've agreed with you.  The poster was looking for a cheap commercial machine.  This is an expensive top-tier espresso machine.......
Bgosselin

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 6:52pm
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Looking to buy our first commercial machine - advice needed

Didn't want to offend you.  I was just trying to make the point that some of the budget for decoration could be directed at a better looking machine.  Chairs, tables, extra furnitures can also be expensive.  Reducing the budget on those could free extra cash.

The coffee shop were i go is very simple and the machine by itself make the whole ambiance.
http://cafedifferance.ca/image/19417119592

The poster is from Bath UK.  A very high tourist spot.  If he want to get tourists in, the look of the coffee shop is important.  Detail on the clientel he wants to serve is not specify.  Who knows what he can go for.

They most be a lot of second hand espresso machine for sale also.  It may be a alternative solution.

Something coffee sellers would finance the machine if you commit to buy coffee from them.
Jjprestidge

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012, 12:55pm

The coffee shop won't be in Bath - the market is saturated and rents are very high.

The Mirage is well out of budget, unless I could lease one.

I've been offered an LM FB80 to rent, but am not sure whether it would be better to buy a cheaper machine outright. Leasing has some tax advantages, but most deals are quite long term.

JP
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012, 2:40pm

It seems to me as if you're pulling in two different directions here. In less expensive commercial machines, thermal stability seems to largely come from having sufficient thermal mass that the normal fluctuations of boiler/HX/steam draw, etc. can't have an effect (or, at least, have a very minimal one). That very stability undermines the ability to quickly change temperature to suit different coffees. Better to have two single group machines, each dedicated to a different coffee, or have a two-group for the main coffee and a single group (perhaps a lever for the show of it) for the "experimental" coffee.

Of course, if you (and whoever else is pulling shots) have the barista chops finely honed, you can control temperature with flushes, etc., but that would be virtually impossible during any sort of rush period, as it takes  more time and attention than a line of customers a dozen deep can put up with.

Frankly, being in the UK, I'd look to the Fracino levers, with the sheer theater of the lever machine being part of the draw of the cafe, plus the ability to work some pressure profiling with lever manipulation. Between that and careful coffee selection, you could create quite the niche for yourself. But that's just one man's opinion (and a man who's never worked behind the counter as a barista, so take it for whatever you think it's worth).
Bgosselin

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012, 4:03pm

One big advantage of leasing is that you can get service.  One of them could be a quick replacement machine if the one you have doesn't work.  Not sur if that is important for you.

Is serving coffee the main purpose of your commerce or just a nice to have?

I think if you want your coffee shop known for it coffee quality you need to make sure you have a good machine and excellent coffee.  Best thing will be to have a local roaster.

Getting the best coffee could force you to buy used if the roaster doesn't provide leasing.  Having fresh coffee could be a trademark and win some customers.

But if you serve food and your food is what get customer in.  Having good coffee instead of very very good coffee could be enough.  Then go for the coffee provider that give you the best advantages.
Jjprestidge

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 4:50am

The G10 has the ability to run each group at a different temperature. What I'm interested in is how effectively it does this, as I would have to pay much more for a big name machine with the same functionality.

JP
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 6:41am

I'm finding two different descriptions of the G10 on the web - one that says each group has a separate 1.5L boiler that's fed by prewarmed water from the 17.5L boiler, and one (which is the current desctiption from the Australian website) that each group has a separate 450ml heat exchanger. So the questions I would be asking are 1) Which is correct for the specific machine you're looking at? 2)What was the reason for the change? 3)Which is more current?

You might try asking on coffeesnobs.au to see who might have more direct experience with the G10 there. More info never hurts.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Looking to buy...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.400272130966)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+