Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Two questions on Gaggia Platinum Vision
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Two questions on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Shiltsy

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 5:11pm
Subject: Two questions on Gaggia Platinum Vision

Hi all...  I am a new user to the site, but have been reading posts for some time.   I've gone from a cheap steam driven machine to a better delonghi pump driven to a recent upgrade to a super automatic.

The Gaggia is arriving this week and I have a couple of questions:

1.  What exactly does the e plus system do?  The manual is light on details and from what I can tell it basically just extends or reduces the brewing time.  Anyone know exactly what it does and how it affects the shot?

2.  The system allows you to select to cups instead of one.  Does that essentially double the dose and water volume?  My drink of choice is a double cappucino a bit dry, so I want to know exactly what the two shot option does.

I probably should have gone with a high end semi automatic machine, but mornings are too hectic around our house and I know a super automatic will be used a lot more regularly...  Now time to understand all the details of the machine for fine tuning.

Also, let me know if you have this machine and have pointers for the perfect shot.

Thanks for any feedback!
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Oct 9, 2012, 8:08pm
Subject: Re: Two questions on Gaggia Platinum Vision

Sadly, very few of us here have super-automatics.  I'm not sure we'll be able to answer your questions satisfactorily . . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Shiltsy

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 4:52am

I probably should have waited until I had the machine in house to ask the question...  The double espresso option simply pulls a single shot, flushes the puck and pulls a second.  The e plus system just shortens or lengthens the time it takes to pull the shot.  Is a great way to fine tune based on fineness of the grind.

I know most of you as purists scoff at the super automatic machines, but the drinks this thing makes are out of this world.  The crema is fantastic and grind is incredibly uniform.  Very happy with my investment!
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 6:22am

the e plus will make a longer pre infusion. . what I woud do is set it for max grinds I think on this it's 10.5g and set water for 1.5 oz. I got a measuring glass and set it manually otherwise I think preset is 3 oz per shot. The main problem with this super auto are the grind settings (only 3) if you ajust it finer or more coarse make sure the grider is empty and moving otherwise it will break. I found if you ajust grind size either way you will find your shots failing more often. I've had mine for 3 yrs now. if anything goes bad for example like a gasket on your water line, you cant service it your self.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 7:56am

On the one hand . . .

Shiltsy Said:

I know most of you as purists scoff at the super automatic machines, but the drinks this thing makes are out of this world.  The crema is fantastic and grind is incredibly uniform.  Very happy with my investment!

Posted October 13, 2012 link

Nothing is more important that this!  Congratulations -- glad you're happy with it.  Honest.

On the other hand . . . if you ever want to take the metaphorical blinders off, come by my house, and I'll happily make you a real espresso.  ;^)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Shiltsy

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 12:55pm

Are you sure e plus adjusts the pre infusion?  I thought that was the "prebrewing" function under the customization menu?
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 8:00pm

yes it just restricts the water flow to alow a longer pre infusion. I tore apart the (I guess you would call it the group head) and you can see it slide half way closed when all the way on. you should have seen all the gunk I got out of it after the first year. it's good to move the e plus back and forth once in a while to keep it loose. if you look for a web site called parts guru they have the skimatics posted you can see every part and it's placement.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Two questions on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.372905015945)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+