Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New La Spaziale 'Dream Machine' from CCS???
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New La Spaziale...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012, 1:41pm
Subject: Re: New La Spaziale 'Dream Machine' from CCS???

Thanks for the update Chris.

I wonder what a little more $ translates into. I am also curious if this will be plumbed only. Time will answer these questions.
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012, 4:19pm

chriscoffee Said:

I have been working with La Spaziale for a couple of years on this machine.

Posted October 27, 2012 link

I think that it is fantastic that a vendor such as yourself is working directly with a manufacturer as well known as them. I think it is very rare to see this in any industry, where the vendors have a role in the engineering process of a
product. I can't say how much I would love to be in your shoes. In saying that, perhaps my own personal lack of knowledge and experience is a detriment to me at this time, but perhaps that may change in the future.

chriscoffee Said:

For example I hated the previous timer now it is built in

One of the biggest concerns I had about the timer was that the batteries were soldered in. (At least from what I've read on topics relating to the topic.)  I've seen soldered in batteries in computers, vintage video games,
pinball machines and other electronic devices and the same damn thing always happens. The battery gets old, starts leaking onto the PCB, corroding and damaging it. Worse case scenario, the leakage damages an adjacent
circuit and causes a failure. I can understand that from an engineering point of view that it costs money to put in a battery compartment, but it all comes down to the longevity of the device, right? I hate soldering in new batteries.

chriscoffee Said:

I am a big Apple guy and I like touch screen application so to do the Italians.

For those on the thread who are concerned about the longevity of touch screens, consider the abuse that the touch screen on multifunction copier/printer/fax/scanner devices take every day in the busy routine of an office.
I've seen people poke them with pens, bash on them repeatedly and just generally see heavy use. I'm sure that La Spaziale will spec out a LCD touch screen which is somewhat similar to the ones that Ricoh or Xerox use. In which
case, if my own practical experience is any indication, the possibility of failure of one of these touch screens in a home or light commercial environment would be very low and shouldn't impact the reliability of the machine at all.

I know this may be a little off-topic, but IMO Apple designs some absolutely beautiful hardware. It's not necessarily the best bang for the buck, (Again IMO) but Apple knows industrial design and that reflects in their products. The
Macbook Air and the iPhones/iPods are works of art. I'll admit that I'm more a PC guy, but I can also appreciate the beauty of a nicely designed case. Like the Fractal Design Arc Mini or the Thermaltake Level 10 series. A beautiful
computer case does not make a computer any more powerful, but it certainly does make it easier to look at.  

chriscoffee Said:

I am including with each machine a Simm card reader and writer that simply plugs into the front of the machine.

Good idea. I think I would draw the line at an Ethernet Port, LOL! :-) I think this would make things interesting because it would allow the less experienced Barista to try settings which a more experienced Barista would know.
I can see it now.. People uploading brew profiles to a forum for other people to try out, comment and to see what they think. Coming from a 15-year IT background, I actually find this idea very exciting.

I personally love the idea of an experienced roaster handing out cheap promo USB keys for use with these La Spaziale machines for their blends. I can procure promotional USB keys for less than 20 cents each,
seems like a very small expense when someone is paying $16-$20/lb for a bag of beans.

chriscoffee Said:

you will be able to go to my site and down load the latest version of the software and upload it to your machine.

In my particular case, that would save me a 340 mile drive, since the nearest La Spaziale dealer to me is 170 miles away in Edmonton.

Thanks for your input Chris.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
zedex

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012, 6:30pm

So. It sounds like software upgrades and cosmetics. The body of the machine looks the same other than brushed SS and glossy sides. I bet the drip tray is identical .
Endo
Endo

Espresso: machine is < important than...
Grinder: !
Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012, 7:22pm

zedex Said:

So. It sounds like software upgrades and cosmetics. The body of the machine looks the same other than brushed SS and glossy sides. I bet the drip tray is identical .

Let's not make it sound like a simple cosmetic change. While I agree the plumbing will stay the same, the upgrades they made (modern electronics, interface and cosmetics) are all the machine really needed to put it in a class of its own. They aren't about to change metal jigs or plastic molds they have already spent thousands on. If they did, it would take forever for this family business to recoupe their investment.

I'm really impressed they continue to improve on this great design. I think it's an awesome machine and would be an EASY first pick for me ....if I already didn't have one (the old one that is). :-(
zedex

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012, 8:02pm

Yes. Its good news because if i did upgrade down the road (if i got a decent $ for mine) my drip tray would fit in the machine. You never know when upgradeitus will hit .
Endo
Endo

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012, 4:22pm

I wonder what the price of upgrading would be. I don't believe it can't be done.
zedex

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012, 4:37pm

Yea. I don't believe it either. What i do believe though is it would be cost prohibitive .Once someone gets there mitts on one we will know for sure. But i looks to me like its all software upgrades. It would be an easy swap other than dremelling the front panel.
Endo
Endo

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 5:01am

I would say "all electrical" upgrades. Probably means replacing the black box and wiring harness. I probably replace the whole front cover which includes the LCD panel. Likely in the $500 range for everything, but I don't see any show stoppers here.
zedex

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 7:51am

+ usb cutout on the lower panel. The front panel wont work on our machine as the steam knob looks horizontal and on the v2 its on an angle.  It would be great do have an accurate timer, as my timer lost 1 hour today. Im thinking it was programmed incorrectly to allow time change today instead of November 4.
Endo
Endo

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 4:20pm

zedex Said:

+ usb cutout on the lower panel. The front panel wont work on our machine as the steam knob looks horizontal and on the v2 its on an angle.  It would be great do have an accurate timer, as my timer lost 1 hour today. Im thinking it was programmed incorrectly to allow time change today instead of November 4.

Posted October 29, 2012 link

I can tuck the USB connection inside.

I have the Mini. I'm assuming the steam lever placement will be unchanged.
showing page 6 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New La Spaziale...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.504765033722)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+