Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Vibiemme Domobar Double boiler JR: two questions..
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Vibiemme Domobar...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ila

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2012, 1:07pm
Subject: Vibiemme Domobar Double boiler JR: two questions..

Hi, i've buy a Vibiemme Domobar junior double boiler and i've necessity to set the temperature of extraction's coffee. On my machine there are two different sets: the boiler pressure of steam and the boiler for coffee.

first question: It's correct to measure the temperature's water that exits from the E61 group? with a thermometer probe I've set the temperature of the water coming out (the water that falls in the filter) at 93-94 degrees approximately (the machine is heated for one hour).

second question:in a few seconds launches the warm milk making hot without being able to mount it. The pressure of the steam boiler is set at 1.2 bar. Why I can not make frothy milk?

tank's and regard from italy.

p.s. excuse for my bad english...
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Oct 23, 2012, 1:32pm
Subject: Re: Vibiemme Domobar Double boiler JR: two questions..

Hi,

Welcome to CG.  You have a great machine there, and once you learn to use it, it will make you very happy for a very long time.

One of our forum members (frcn) is the author of the user manual for that machine, and it is a great resource for you to have.  you can download it from Stefano's espresso care, I think.

ila Said:

first question: It's correct to measure the temperature's water that exits from the E61 group? with a thermometer probe I've set the temperature of the water coming out (the water that falls in the filter) at 93-94 degrees approximately (the machine is heated for one hour).

Posted October 23, 2012 link

yes, it is correct to measure from the E61 group, but you probably wouldn't need to change it from the factory default setting.  Typically, you want to water coming from the group between 195-205 degrees F.  In Celsius that's 90-96 degrees, so you should be right on.  An hour is ample time to get your entire machine up to proper temperature - good job there too.

ila Said:

second question:in a few seconds launches the warm milk making hot without being able to mount it. The pressure of the steam boiler is set at 1.2 bar. Why I can not make frothy milk?

This is probably due to your technique.  See if you can find some videos of frothing on you tube, or something similar.  Maybe someone else will post you a couple of links.  there's a good one on how to practice with soapy water.  In short, you want to get the milk swirling rather quickly into a vortex.  It will take patience to get it right, but your machine is highly capable of making great foam for macchiatos, cappuccinos and lattes.  Oh, also, the manual for the Vibiemme actually has a frothing guide in it!  Also, there's a "milk frothing guide" under the "Guides and How Tos" at the top of the page here (look on the green bar).

ila Said:

p.s. excuse for my bad english...

no problem!  Good luck!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Oct 23, 2012, 3:21pm

I actually wrote the owners manual for the Domobar Super but the machines are similar enough that the DS manual will be of some use.
Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

One hour of preheating is more than enough. About 30-40 minutes is sufficient unless you live in a cold climate and sleep with the windows open.

93-94 at the group thermometer is a little low. The thermometer reads about three to five degrees under brew temperature. Try one or two degrees higher. That can be controlled by shorter flushes or adjustment of the pressurestat. Once you become accustomed to the machine, simply let your palate be the judge as to what temperature makes the best coffee.

A good frothing video is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxAvYoymUbM

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ila

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:25am

tank's!
but.. the pressure at 1.2 bar and the corrispondent water's temperature is hight? it is as if the steam comes out at a temperature so high that the milk does not have time to become frothy...
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012, 6:28am

ila Said:

tank's!
but.. the pressure at 1.2 bar and the corrispondent water's temperature is hight? it is as if the steam comes out at a temperature so high that the milk does not have time to become frothy...

Posted October 24, 2012 link

No, it is how you are steaming the milk, all steam is at the same temp leaving the wand, about 100c or 212 f, (at sea level, give or take a little, you need to keep the steam under pressure to keep the temp above boiling) the temp in the boiler needs to be higher to generate the steam in a volume to maintain pressure in the steaming process.

In short, you are not steaming your milk properly.
Start by opening the steam valve and let out any water in the steam system and to warm it a bit.

Next put the tip of the wand just under the surface of the milk, not to the bottom of the pitcher.

Open the steam valve and move the pitcher so that you get a little air sipping into the steam stream, sucking the air into the milk. A lot of air will make LARGE bubbles, a small but constant SIP of air will produce creamy foam in your milk, it should look like a bucket of paint in your pitcher. You should be seeing the milk swirl in the pitcher.

When the temp gets to about 100 F or ~45c (when the SS pitcher becomes uncomfortable to hold) move the tip of the steam wand deeper into the milk and make the swirl stronger to mix the foamed froth into the milk to make it smooth.

When you get to about 140 to 150 F (I don't know what that is in C) stop steaming while the tip is in the milk, remove the pitcher, blow a shot of steam from the wand to clear it, make your drink and clean the milk from the tip of your wand or clean your wand and make your drink.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012, 7:46am

^+1  except

calblacksmith Said:

When the temp gets to about 100 F or ~45c (when the SS pitcher becomes uncomfortable to hold) move the tip of the steam wand deeper into the milk and make the swirl stronger to mix the foamed froth into the milk to make it smooth.

at 100F (45C) the SS pitcher should not yet be "uncomfortable to hold".  It will feel warm to the touch.  Most people find the heat "uncomfortable" at the end of the heating process - the 140F-150F range.  Many who advocate frothing without a thermometer, say to lower the wand tip (raise the pitcher, or simply stop lowering the pitcher - however you wish to say it) when the pitcher no longer feels cold, but does not yet feel warm.  This is skin temp and it's slightly lower than the "scientific" end of the milk stretch (100F) - more like 85-90F.  I would certainly recommend using a thermometer, especially while learning to froth.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:50pm

I used the thermometer to train my hand to know what 90 and 120 felt like so I could better judge when to sink and when to turn off the steam I have to start turning it off early because I don't have a joystick and it takes a few turns.  I handle hot things all the time in the kitchen so I did not trust when I thought it was too hot to handle.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
ila

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 12:57am

in my book that Vibiemme has sent me, shows the value of the pressure of 0.9 to 1.1 bar (maybe my blood pressure was slightly high). A friend who has a bar has its faema set to 1 bar and the milk heats it in a few seconds.
I tried to reduce the pressure to 0.9 bar and this morning with cold milk from the refrigerator and took my Domobar has managed to create more cream. Still not good ...
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 26, 2012, 10:53am

emradguy Said:

^+1  except

at 100F (45C) the SS pitcher should not yet be "uncomfortable to hold".  It will feel warm to the touch.  Most people find the heat "uncomfortable" at the end of the heating process - the 140F-150F range.  Many who advocate frothing without a thermometer, say to lower the wand tip (raise the pitcher, or simply stop lowering the pitcher - however you wish to say it) when the pitcher no longer feels cold, but does not yet feel warm.  This is skin temp and it's slightly lower than the "scientific" end of the milk stretch (100F) - more like 85-90F.  I would certainly recommend using a thermometer, especially while learning to froth.

There you go, that is why I DO use a thermometer, of course, you are correct and I did get it wrong with the 100 f thing as that is DARN close to body temp and it would not be uncomfortable at all to hold, thanks for the catch, yep I do use a thermo meter as my hand meter is not near as accurate.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Vibiemme Domobar...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.57510304451)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+