Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
*SUPER* autos- are they really as good as semi? (or possibly better?)
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > *SUPER* autos-...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dorkroast
dorkroast
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Tue Oct 23, 2012, 8:50pm
Subject: *SUPER* autos- are they really as good as semi? (or possibly better?)

I had discounted super auto machines more because I wanted to actually make my own drinks rather than have a machine make them for me.

Then I started wondering- in a side by side comparison, do full autos make espresso as good or better than a semi-auto?

Over the years I've used many super auto machines- I don't remember the brands of any of them....I just know that the coffee from them while okay, was never outstanding. Maybe I never had drinks from a great machine, or maybe it's something else.

Anyone have an opinion one way or another?

Maybe I'm going the wrong way with all this machine grinder stuff and I should get an all-in-one that just spits out my lattes and gives them to me IV. :)
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Oct 23, 2012, 9:01pm
Subject: Re: Full autos- are they really as good as semi? (or possibly better?)

Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)

Little reason to rehash this for the 100th time. Use the search function and get back to us.

Short answer to your question: it depends.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Oct 23, 2012, 9:06pm

Thank you, Randy.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Dear Dork (or should I say "Mr. Roast"?),

The "all-in-one" machine you are describing is not a "full automatic." What you are describing is a super-automatic, not a full-automatic (aka volumetric dosing) machine.

Truly, use the search feature, but you might also want to read this post on the various types of machines out there in order to use the terminology correctly.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012, 1:00am

It all depends on what you expect from your machine. Like Jason said, you're talking about superautomatics which are mainly about convenience and less about espresso quality. So if it's the best possible espresso you're looking for as the base for your lattes, then you should quit those and start looking for a portafilter machine and a matching grinder.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
dorkroast
dorkroast

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cheapo Melitta pourover
Roaster: Behmor, Popcorn Pumper
Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012, 10:05am

I did use the search function but perhaps it was an issue with terminology.

As was said, I was referring to super-automatics, a term which I hadn't previously heard prior to this post so I guess I've already learned something.
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012, 11:28am
Subject: Re: *SUPER* autos- are they really as good as semi? (or possibly better?)

It's a funny thing. Last night, my boyfriend came with me to class and hung out in the building's kitchen area. There's a Saeco Cristallo 400 Superauto vending machine that will give you a shot with milk for $1.50 so he tried it. He said that, compared to the coffee we've been drinking for a few months out of my Oscar, the vending machine's coffee was "vile," and he admits he's no connoisseur.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012, 12:37pm
Subject: Re: *SUPER* autos- are they really as good as semi? (or possibly better?)

I was amazed how fast my palate changed.  I thought I could never tell a good pull from a bad because of all the milk I had to drink it with... I can and I have gone from 12oz drinks to 6 oz drinks and 2 oz of that is my double shot....  Now to get rid of the last of the sugar....

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012, 1:16pm

In a word, "no."

To expand a little - Super-autos are all about convenience. That convenience comes at the expense of quality in the cup. Super-autos (at least consumer ones, but apparently most of the "pro" units as well) have grinders that aren't very adjustable, lack thermal stability, and rarely, if ever, get the water anywhere near hot enough for proper espresso extraction. Most use a variety of pressurized portafilter to get some foamed coffee on the top of the shot, that they call "crema".

That being said, my first machine that did anything even vaguely resembling espresso was a Gaggia Synchrony Digital super-auto. It got me hooked and started leading me down the path to geekdom. But the quality in the cup simply isn't there compared to what you can get from even an entry-level machine like a Gaggia Baby.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012, 1:54pm

GVDub Said:

In a word, "no."

Posted October 24, 2012 link

And while I would be well at the rear of the line of people recommending a super auto, there are instances where it wouldn't matter what machine was used:
- Been drinking Folgers for years? A SA might very well be an improvement.
- Been making coffee with stale, over-roasted, black, oily beans, brewed in a Mr. Coffee drip machine from 1983? Fresh beans in a super auto would be an improvement.
- Prefers drinks with 2 ounces of espresso, 8 ounces of steamed milk, two tablespoons of sugar and five squirts of apple-crisp flavored syrup, sprinkled with cinnamon? It wouldn't mater.

But putting quality coffee beans into a consumer-grade super auto is like cooking Kobe beef in a Walmart Panini grill.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Wed Oct 24, 2012, 2:43pm

frcn Said:

- Been drinking Folgers for years? A SA might very well be an improvement.
- Been making coffee with stale, over-roasted, black, oily beans, brewed in a Mr. Coffee drip machine from 1983? Fresh beans in a super auto would be an improvement.
- Prefers drinks with 2 ounces of espresso, 8 ounces of steamed milk, two tablespoons of sugar and five squirts of apple-crisp flavored syrup, sprinkled with cinnamon? It wouldn't mater.

But putting quality coffee beans into a consumer-grade super auto is like cooking Kobe beef in a Walmart Panini grill.

Posted October 24, 2012 link

In a way, you just described my coffee voyage, at least in part.

My folks used to drink freshly ground (though not necessarily freshly roasted - they bought 10 lbs at a time through a food coop and froze what they weren't using that week, non-vacuum sealed) whole bean in a Chemex or Melitta filter, but brewed very weak, as befits rural kids who lived through the Depression. When I moved out, I couldn't be bothered and spent years doing Maxwell House from a Mr. Coffee at home, drinking burnt coffee from a recording studio's Bunn station or whatever the truck stops had when the band was on the road.

Eventually moved to Don Francisco pre-ground, then whole-bean with a whirly-blade, then to a Cuisinart Grind'n'Brew, then started roasting for myself, then got the super-auto, then the Caravel and the start of the vintage hand grinder collection, then the other Caravel and more hand grinders, then the Nuova Simonelli and a Gaggia MD-85.

So I was, for a time, running my quality, freshly home-roasted beans through a whirly-blade and mediocre drip maker. Didn't taste a thing like Kobe beef.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > *SUPER* autos-...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.634052991867)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+