Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What is this DeLonghi model?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What is this...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
satishouse

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 5:07pm
Subject: Re: What is this DeLonghi model?

This may seem like a dumb question, but is mine definitely a pressurised portafilter? Do commercial machines such as these ever come with non-pressurised portafilters? I have no rubber componants to this, other than that black rubber disc (so does this provide the pressure)?

Just for reference, a link to a picture is below.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/810/dscn2906tv.jpg
 View Profile Link to this post
zedex

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 6:49pm

yea. A non pressurized machine will have no rubber disk. My starbucks machine had a plastic contraption that had a lever mechanism that opened at a certain pressure. It was weird but i didnt know any better. It was all new to me and a great starter machine.No complaints. If your happy with the coffee, thats all that counts.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Oct 18, 2012, 10:58pm

satishouse Said:

haha, right I see. Ah well, I guess it's not too bad as a starting machine, I'll work my way up

Posted October 18, 2012 link

That's perfectly all right. You could brew decent espresso with that DeLonghi, once you got rid of the pressurization device. What you really need is a capable coffee grinder.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
satishouse

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 3:08am

zedex Said:

yea. A non pressurized machine will have no rubber disk. My starbucks machine had a plastic contraption that had a lever mechanism that opened at a certain pressure. It was weird but i didnt know any better. It was all new to me and a great starter machine.No complaints. If your happy with the coffee, thats all that counts.

Yep, I guess! Good to know about the technical stuff too I find!

NobbyR Said:

That's perfectly all right. You could brew decent espresso with that DeLonghi, once you got rid of the pressurization device. What you really need is a capable coffee grinder.

So could I stop using the rubber disc, and then any crema made would be "legitimate" crema? I think I'd need to grind very finely right?
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 3:38am

satishouse Said:

... So could I stop using the rubber disc, and then any crema made would be "legitimate" crema? I think I'd need to grind very finely right?

Posted October 19, 2012 link

With some machine removing the rubber disk turns a pressurized portafilter into a regular one. Other require different filter baskets, but you can just go ahead and try.

You have to dial in the grinder, i.e. find the right fineness of grounds in order to reach an extraction time of around 25 seconds, all the while keeping all other factors (dose, tamping etc.) constant.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
satishouse

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 10:54am

I really appreciate everyone's kind help and knowledge on this forum, so thanks to all.

Just wondering about the portafilter once more. Does the hole at the bottom of the metal bit of the portafilter act to pressurise the coffee at all, or is it simple the rubber disc that contributes to the pressurisation? The basket has many holes, but eventually the coffee comes out of one hole as you can see from the picture.

I have tried using this without the rubber device, and there are no other rubber parts to the set up, and a foam was produced on the shot - wondering whether or not this could be legitimate crema?
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 11:05am

Welcome to Coffee Geek!

satishouse Said:

This may seem like a dumb question, but is mine definitely a pressurised portafilter?

Not a dumb question, and YES, that is definitely a pressurized portafilter!

satishouse Said:

Do commercial machines such as these --

Yours is NOT a commercial machine by any stretch of the imagination.

satishouse Said:

-- ever come with non-pressurised portafilters?

Commercial machines never have pressurized portafilters, only entry-level home models do.  They produce what's commonly referred to as a "false crema."

satishouse Said:

I have no rubber componants to this, other than that black rubber disc (so does this provide the pressure)?

Yes.

Just for reference, your machine is designed to use ESE pods, not freshly ground coffee.  (Look at the front of your machine.  See the logo on the top right?)  You can try to use freshly roasted beans, freshly ground, in your machine and see if it works.  It might, but then again, it might not.  If you're using pods, the only way you're going to get any creme is with the rubber disc.  If you have a grinder and access to freshly roasted beans, try using the portafilter without hte disc, and see how it goes . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
satishouse

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 11:29am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Welcome to Coffee Geek!

Not a dumb question, and YES, that is definitely a pressurized portafilter!

Yours is NOT a commercial machine by any stretch of the imagination.

Commercial machines never have pressurized portafilters, only entry-level home models do.  They produce what's commonly referred to as a "false crema."

Yes.

Just for reference, your machine is designed to use ESE pods, not freshly ground coffee.  (Look at the front of your machine.  See the logo on the top right?)  You can try to use freshly roasted beans, freshly ground, in your machine and see if it works.  It might, but then again, it might not.  If you're using pods, the only way you're going to get any creme is with the rubber disc.  If you have a grinder and access to freshly roasted beans, try using the portafilter without hte disc, and see how it goes . . .

Posted October 21, 2012 link

Hey, thanks for your reply : )

Yep, sorry about the "commercial" slipup- I meant machines you could buy in a store for home use, without realising commercial machines are actually a type of machine.

In my comment, above your one, I wrote that I indeed tried without the rubber disc, with (quite) fresh ground coffee, and I got quite a lot of 'foam' at the top (which I now hesitate to call crema). So I wonder whether this is crema, because it is now a non-pressurised system without the rubber disc, or whether again, it is "false crema" because of that hole at the bottom of the portafilter which stops it from ever becoming a non-pressurised system? For reference the only rubber componant of the whole setup is that disc.
zedex

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 3:03pm

I would hazard to guess that what you got there was indeed some type of foam due to under extraction or no extraction.  The hole at the bottom of the PF does not impede crema. It basically directs the flow of liquid into a receptacle of some kind or 2 receptacles depending on the PF. The rubber disk in your machine is what is pressurizing your PF. It is there to act as restrictor and restricts the flow of water through the PF. So the water has to saturate the grounds. With a non pressurized PF the coffee grounds need to be ground just so and very fine so the grounds themselves are the restiction. With this you get the properv extraction and is why you need a very good grinder. The rubber disk in your machine is so you can get away with bought coffee grounds or a lesser quality grinder. What grinder are you using BTW?
satishouse

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2012, 6:56am

zedex Said:

I would hazard to guess that what you got there was indeed some type of foam due to under extraction or no extraction.  The hole at the bottom of the PF does not impede crema. It basically directs the flow of liquid into a receptacle of some kind or 2 receptacles depending on the PF. The rubber disk in your machine is what is pressurizing your PF. It is there to act as restrictor and restricts the flow of water through the PF. So the water has to saturate the grounds. With a non pressurized PF the coffee grounds need to be ground just so and very fine so the grounds themselves are the restiction. With this you get the properv extraction and is why you need a very good grinder. The rubber disk in your machine is so you can get away with bought coffee grounds or a lesser quality grinder. What grinder are you using BTW?

Posted October 21, 2012 link

Thanks for your reply. I don't own a grinder, just using the one that my neighbour has at the moment.

What is the correct term for the drink made with this machine then? Does it make actual espresso, and can real espresso be made with a pressurised portafilter? Or does this aspect just affect the validity of the "crema"?
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What is this...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.571820020676)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+