Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Opv on my Rancilio Silvia
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Opv on my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ila

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012, 10:25am
Subject: Opv on my Rancilio Silvia

Hello everyone, I have a Rancilio Silvia (year 2005) and bringing it to the service center for a check I was told that the expansion valve (OPV) is damaged. Honestly I have not repaired also because he asked me usd 150 for the repair. how do I know if it is broken? I checked with a manometer if the pressure is adjusted and seems to work for me.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Oct 28, 2012, 11:06am
Subject: Re: Opv on my Rancilio Silvia

My understanding is if you have a 3 way valve I believe you can see water coming out of an OPV when you back flush because you are creating an over pressure situation.  

http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/opv.html

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/opv-over-pressure-valve

http://www.espressoparts.com/R_1406

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)
NEWEST Feature: The overpressure valve (a.k.a. OPV) is now adjustable on our latest batch of new Silvias (started in February, 2007). The overpressure valve is normally set to 11 bar. However, if your grind is just right, the grind should only create 8-9 bar of resistance so the overpressure valve will never open.

Some customers want to change this to 8-9 bar. No coffee will come out of your grouphead if the coffee grind has a resiatance greater than the setting on the overpressure relief valve. You will need the V512 pressure gauge to asses the pressure. Please note this part is not returnable. In addition, if you break something while doing this, you will need to pay for the part and shipping. If you decide to return the machine with the broken part, we will deduct the charge for the part and labor from the credit.

You can increase the amount of excess water pressure (meaning make the valve open at less than 11 bar) by bringing out the OPV and tightening the nut against the valve (like show). Or, you can decrease the amount of excess water pressure (meaning make the valve open at more than 11 bar) by bringing the OPV into the valve after you loosen the nut next to the valve.

(note if yours is 2005 makes wonder if yours has the same OPV.)

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ila

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 7:05am

I do not know how to explain the defect, but simply silvia does good coffee. I tried to regulate and lower blood pressure monitoring with a pressure gauge (8 bar), but the result does not change. The cause of the defect was told that depends on the valve (OPV) .
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 9:24am

The factory setting of the OPV is often higher than 8 bar on some machines - about 12 bar is normal is the machine is set up for coffee pods.  It could be that the factory checked the pressure, found it was less than 12 bar and therefore told you the OPV was damaged.

Somewhere around 10 bar static pressure or 9 bar dynamic (i.e. with water flowing at about the right rate to brew espresso) is good, although you might prefer slightly lower.  If you see water coming out when brewing and have a static pressure of around 8-10 bar, then the OPV is working!  I guess you should also check it for leaks when running though.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 9:32am

dyqik Said:

The factory setting of the OPV is often higher than 8 bar on some machines -  ...

Posted October 30, 2012 link

There seems to be good reason for that: 9 bar or 11 bar - What is the right pump pressure for the espresso machine. Don't worry about the German introduction of the video, most of it is actually in English.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
dyqik

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 12:35pm

Yeah, I know that - I said 9-10 bar in the rest of the post.  But the factory setting on Gaggia Classics, and reportedly some Silvias, is about 12-13 bar so that they can use the pods properly.  Adjusting it down to 9-10 bar would mean it differed from the factory settings, and might possibly get flagged up as out of spec, and reported as such.
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 2:32pm

se la OPV apre a 9-10 bar va bene, aggiusta la macinatura  in riquardo

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Opv on my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.369750022888)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+