Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
ECM Giotto Classic - vacuum breaker replacement (or O-ring?)
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ECM Giotto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
whitehawk

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto Classic, NS Appia
Grinder: Baratza Forte
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 12:46pm
Subject: ECM Giotto Classic - vacuum breaker replacement (or O-ring?)

So my vacuum breaker started hissing at me a week or so ago.  I went ahead and descaled the machine in the hopes that maybe that would fix it, then disassembled the breaker and soaked in a citric acid solution over-night, but its still hissing.  I know replacements aren't terribly expensive, but I though the o-ring is probably what needs to be replaced (not much to go wrong elsewhere, right?).  Does anyone know where I could get any to attempt replacing the old one?

Thank you!

-Josh
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 9:12pm
Subject: Re: ECM Giotto Classic - vacuum breaker replacement (or O-ring?)

Only since no one else has responded, I'll give you my bad advice followed by the good advice...
Take the valve apart, being sure not to let the tiny circlip fly across the room.  Swear when the circlip flies across the room.
Carefully roll the o-ring out of it's groove and off the valve, then reinstall it upside-down with a rub of food-grade grease.

It might last a month, so look for a parts place... because here's the good advice.
You will need to replace that o-ring, I have no idea where to get it in washington, but maybe you'll find someone local.  Anything that is so close that you can't see a difference should work.
Else, you could just replace the vacuumbreaker with any you can find from any parts store, so long as the threads are the same. (Very standard to most HE machines).

I know this advice isn't very useful. Maybe a Washington person with a good parts link will take it from here.
whitehawk

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto Classic, NS Appia
Grinder: Baratza Forte
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Dec 8, 2012, 8:21pm
Subject: Re: ECM Giotto Classic - vacuum breaker replacement (or O-ring?)

I very much appreciate you taking the time to respond - thank you. Working on getting several replacement parts ATM, I think the vacuum breaker will be the only easy one. =)

-Josh
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ECM Giotto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.321897029877)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+