Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Pump pressure for domestic espresso machines
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Pump pressure...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 1:25am
Subject: Pump pressure for domestic espresso machines

There's an ongoing debate about the optimal pump or brewing pressure for your machine. Manufacturers especially of superautomatics often advertise theoretical maximum pump pressure as a quality trait and seem to outgun themselves, e.g. the DeLonghi Lattissima Premium EN720 offers 19 bar for brewing Nespresso.

We all know that espresso should be extracted at around 9  bar. However, the safety valve on domestic espresso machines with a vibration pump is usually set at 10 or even 11 bar which seems to be a cause of concern for some CoffeeGeeks, and some people even advise to change that setting to lower levels. I just stumbled upon this video, in which Luca Bezzara, head of production at the Bezzera manufactory in Rosate, discusses the question of "9 bar or 11 bar - What is the right pump pressure for the espresso machine?". He claims that brewing pressure does not equal maximum brewing pressure and that there's a difference between consumer/prosumer and commercial machines.

What are your thoughts on this matter? Is there a need to change factory settings?

PS: Don't be scared off by the German introduction which is translated later on. Most of the video is in English.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 6:17am
Subject: Re: Pump pressure for domestic espresso machines

I am going to make the best machine ever made, I am going to use the pump from a commercial pressure washer, I guess I will have around 1500 pounds of pressure (limited by my random desired pressure, the pump will go more), if more pressure is better, my machine will be the best!
;P

OK a little more serious, they are really two different things, a rotary pump has a lot more power behind it to be consistent with pressure and a vibe pump (like your video points out) is a toy in comparison so to make up for the lack of power, it is set higher so as to be a little more consistent in pressure at the puck.

They reference Illy as saying that the pressure should be 9 bar OR MORE, (I never read Illys book so I can not make a comment on this point) I do know my machine is a little higher at 10.5 bar and I have a rotary pump, this is when plumbed in, on the internal tank, it reads about 9 bar give or take a little.

I just alter my grind a little and all is well YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 4:04pm

A rotary pump is capable of much higher volume pumping at higher pressure. The pressure regulator is built into the pump to re-circulate the excess volume. So much extra that flow restriction is usually required in the brew water path. For a single group machine a vibe pump is more than capable of delivering the required pressure and flow rates. The lower volume issue actually works to an advantage in providing a gentle ramp to the full brew pressure (...without the flow restriction).  As for what pressure is best to brew espresso, I think it is best to adjust and taste. For my taste, I keep my (vibe pump) brew pressure at 8.5-9 bar. Higher pressures tend towards more intense and/or harsher flavors, much lower pressures tend more towards a cafe crema.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 11:45pm

Frost Said:

... As for what pressure is best to brew espresso, I think it is best to adjust and taste. For my taste, I keep my (vibe pump) brew pressure at 8.5-9 bar. Higher pressures tend towards more intense and/or harsher flavors, much lower pressures tend more towards a cafe crema.

Posted October 29, 2012 link

So you did change factory settings on your Isomac Venus?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Frost
Frost

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 8:08am

NobbyR Said:

So you did change factory settings on your Isomac Venus?

Posted October 29, 2012 link

Over a period of months I have run brew pressures from 7 to 11 bar. (this was a few years ago) Generally leaving the selected pressure for a period of days or weeks to get a good idea of the effects. The range of 8-10 bar was most workable. I tend to prefer coffees and roasts on the lighter and lively side, so settled on the lower pressure brew for my taste.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 8:18am

Do you still change pressure depending on the kind of beans you use? Or what pressure did you end up with?

Frost
Frost

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 8:44am

As stated above, I've been running at 8.5-9 bar for the last couple years. (this will depend on flow rate with an OPV for regulation)  It only takes a few minutes to adjust, but I have not been compelled to adjust for different coffees.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Pump pressure...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.392645120621)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+