Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 106 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JJC
JJC
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville 900Xl, Saeco...
Grinder: Compak K3
Roaster: Behmor, Nesco
Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 9:57am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

I agree completely with Peter.
Emphasizing that there is no way you can get proper tamping with 14g in the Breville basket.
Breville recommends 18 and I would take that as a minimum.

JJ
 View Profile Link to this post
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 10:06am

dagoat Said:

With the Breville basket and darker roasts, 18g is probably fine.  With lighter roasts, (denser than darks), something more like 19g will be required to fill the basket high enough.

IMS, (and against my wishes), Breville will be switching to straight-walled baskets.

-Peter

Posted October 29, 2012 link

hi peter, this is what ive noticed, a certain philippine blend that im using is dark roasted, and the grind needs to be finer to regulate the flow, ive tried light roasted single origin and i needs a courser grind. in addition is the oil, the dark roast that i have test was dark but not oily, i have also tried dark roast and oily, the dark roast and oily was a just finer than the light roast but the dark and dry was far finer to grind

what concerns me is the dialling of the shot everyday, and to eliminate waste, johnlyn was kind enough to share tips and the milk, any tips from you, right now im doing the peg at the grinder so i can start from there, but still per test means 18g down the sink and usually it takes 3-4 to hit it, so i kinda feel bad, any addition tips is well appreciated

thanks

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
carz07
carz07

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 10:11am

JJC Said:

I agree completely with Peter.
Emphasizing that there is no way you can get proper tamping with 14g in the Breville basket.
Breville recommends 18 and I would take that as a minimum.

JJ

hi jj

i started with the minimum 18g and im wasting beans hehehehe, 250g per bag and im done right away, that is why im trying to cut on the waste, any tips? also given with my current problem that i have to pull an initial shot with a longer time so that the 2nd and the 3rd will settle on the average.

JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 5:44pm

dagoat Said:

Nothing to "correct" about tapered baskets.  There is no defect.  Tapered baskets are a design decision, pure and simple.  They have operational characteristics that straight-walled baskets don't have.  Not the least of which is, ejecting the spent puck on a tapered basket is just a light tap and the whole thing comes out clean as a whistle.  I LOVE it.  The drawback to tapered baskets, (if you can call it that), is what you already know.  They are intolerant of under-dosing.  No biggie.  Just don't under-dose.  With the Breville basket and darker roasts, 18g is probably fine.  With lighter roasts, (denser than darks), something more like 19g will be required to fill the basket high enough.

IMS, (and against my wishes), Breville will be switching to straight-walled baskets.

-Peter

True, I remember phil saying this:

mcknightp Said:

Well the baskets were already "off-tool" when I started with the company 2 years ago, so there was no plan to re-tool those. If I'd been able to choose a design back then, I would have gone with a Synesso style ridgeless design. But there may be something in the skunk-works, but that's more than 6 months away.

Cheers, Phil

Posted April 24, 2012 link

I first used them, and went back and forth for a while and ultimately did not notice any taste difference that I would associate with either the stock baskets or the straight walls (VST's). Aside from the walls, the stock baskets easily equal the VST's in the cup. sometimes my dose goes under 18 so they didn't work for me. So I went with what I preferred using which was the straight walls. I should not have implied that there was a defect, rather I simply corrected things to my finicky preferences. Same goes for the naked PF.

Thank you for clarifying the dose requirement. Just out of curiosity, how much can you get into the stock single and what is the result like if there is anyone working with doses well under 18....
martigen

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 10:38pm

Hi guys, newbie here. I've been reading the posts about this wonderful machine and haven't found the answer im looking for.

I've had the Dual Boiler for about a week and this is the issue im having:
the coffee is not brewing right, the water starts flowing and after 2-3 seconds starts dripping instead of flowing. The pressure reads 10-11. I called Breville and the guy walked me through the process and told me NOT to tamp the coffee too hard, which i did, then i tamped it very light and it kinda fixed the issue, but it keeps taking way too long to brew.

This is what i've tried so far:
1.pre-ground coffee on the Breville Grinder (the Breville rep told me to put it on the "o" from the word espresso on the Grinder) using the single wall filter - drips after 2-3 seconds instead of flowing
  1. grounded espresso (from Illy) using the dual wall filter - drips after 2-3 seconds instead of flowing
  2. grounded espresso (from Illy) using the single wall filter - drips after 2-3 seconds instead of flowing
    all these settings using a very soft tamping, if i barely tamp it then the water flows easily, but makes no sense if i barely tamp it.

I used to have the Barista Express and never had this kind of problem, I would tamp it really hard and the water would still flow.

The Serial starts with 1135, even though the rep told me over the phone that the machine works fine, i feel there's something wrong with it, in order for me to get a decent cup of espresso i have to wait up to a minute to brew since it starts flowing for 2-3 seconds and then it drips (and this is for a single shot).

I will try to make a video next time so you can see exactly the way im tamping it and how the dual Boiler is brewing.

Help anyone please!
carz07
carz07

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 11:21pm

martigen Said:

Hi guys, newbie here. I've been reading the posts about this wonderful machine and haven't found the answer im looking for.

I've had the Dual Boiler for about a week and this is the issue im having:
the coffee is not brewing right, the water starts flowing and after 2-3 seconds starts dripping instead of flowing. The pressure reads 10-11. I called Breville and the guy walked me through the process and told me NOT to tamp the coffee too hard, which i did, then i tamped it very light and it kinda fixed the issue, but it keeps taking way too long to brew.

This is what i've tried so far:
1.pre-ground coffee on the Breville Grinder (the Breville rep told me to put it on the "o" from the word espresso on the Grinder) using the single wall filter - drips after 2-3 seconds instead of flowing
grounded espresso (from Illy) using the dual wall filter - drips after 2-3 seconds instead of flowing
grounded espresso (from Illy) using the single wall filter - drips after 2-3 seconds instead of flowing
all these settings using a very soft tamping, if i barely tamp it then the water flows easily, but makes no sense if i barely tamp it.

I used to have the Barista Express and never had this kind of problem, I would tamp it really hard and the water would still flow.

The Serial starts with 1135, even though the rep told me over the phone that the machine works fine, i feel there's something wrong with it, in order for me to get a decent cup of espresso i have to wait up to a minute to brew since it starts flowing for 2-3 seconds and then it drips (and this is for a single shot).

I will try to make a video next time so you can see exactly the way im tamping it and how the dual Boiler is brewing.

Help anyone please!

hi, i cant do some technical specification in solving the problem as i am a newbie also, but i dont think it should flow or even drip at 2-3 sec as the machine is preprogrammed for a 5sec preinfusion, only after 5sec that you start to hear the pump come in and the pressure moves up, ideally at 9-9.5 bars. that is the initial thing on the 2-3sec. for the 10-11bar pressure, you can ask the seniors members here regarding the pressure valve, im read somewhere regarding this.

are you doing the manual buttons or the preprogram? do you get squirts from the side?

martigen

Posted Mon Oct 29, 2012, 11:27pm

I'm sorry for the confussion, i meant 2-3 seconds after the 8 seconds of pre-infusion, so it goes like this:

1-8 seconds: pre-infusion
9-11 (12) seconds: normal flow
11 seconds and up (sometimes uo to 60) drips
carz07
carz07

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 2:09am

martigen Said:

I'm sorry for the confussion, i meant 2-3 seconds after the 8 seconds of pre-infusion, so it goes like this:

1-8 seconds: pre-infusion
9-11 (12) seconds: normal flow
11 seconds and up (sometimes uo to 60) drips

i dont use the dual wall but the single, so let me give in my one peso (2 cents in a way) here, as a newbie, im learning and people here like johnlyn are very helpful, since i cant be of any help to him because he knows more than i do, i will pay i forward. thus sharing my experience.

there are factors affecting this, grind, beans, and dose. im still in this part but a little twist. i have started with trying to hit it right at the correct time, a lot of waste, this has to do with dose also, then the beans itself. then taste.

anyway are you getting 2oz? taste the shot, some roast and age are done at a longer time. dualwater are more of for safe use but i dont use it.

1.remember to dose within the 18g-20g start with 18g (make sure to get this variable locked in so we can eliminate factors and address them one by one)
2.then tamp correctly, get a weightscale
3.make sure distribute it well (im still looking into this)
4.do you have a grinder? im not familiar with illy preground, but if it chokes means its too fine or dosed higher, granting the tamp is at a constant 35lbs. so dose and grind, since its pregrinded, then dose, try to dose a little, weight it so you can peg it, 18g, if it still chokes then 17gs, until you are close to 35sec range, then dial from there (this is where i am right now, dialing it without wasting)

at the end, taste the coffee, it might be 40sec but the 2oz taste good

fine tuning the taste is next, join me in this journey

martigen

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 10:04am

Here's the thing, i test-drove this machine at Williams & Sonoma, i did the regular dose, normal tamping (about 25 - 30 lbs) and it worked flawlessly, so my concern is that with this machine the only way the coffee actually flows normally and fills the 2oz cup within the 30-40 sec is when i barely tamp it. Even if i do a 5lbs tamping it already gets clogged and drips instead of flow. Even though the rep at Breville told me there's nothing wrong with the machine i still think there is.
zedex

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 11:22am

If your just getting drips, your coffee is ground a tiny bit too fine.You are so close. Make your grind a hair courser and give it a shot, pun intended.
showing page 106 of 257 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.46417593956)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+