Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
A few questions on maintanance Gaggia Classic
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > A few questions...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Xeno

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 6:52pm
Subject: A few questions on maintanance Gaggia Classic

Hi all,

It's been a while since I dabbled with my espresso machine.  I just primed it, and now I want to descale it.

I know that I should remove the shower screen while descaling, but what about the shower screen holder plate.  Also, does it help to soak the shower screen and holder plate in citric acid?

A different but related question - when cleaning with cafiza, I used to soak the shower screen in it.  If citric acid isn't the right way to go, do I soak the shower screen holder in cafiza, or is the blackflush I usually do good enough?

Thanks guys!
Rich
 View Profile Link to this post
Xeno

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 10:35pm
Subject: Re: A few questions on maintanance Gaggia Classic

Anyone?
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 10:47pm

Cafiza only removes stuck coffee oils that otherwise would go rancid, while citric acid only removes scale. The first can be done by backflushing. However, after a while there's still some gruel accumulated behind the shower screen, so it's wise to remove it from time to time. Descaling is also required regularly, the interval depending on the water you use.

By the way, the boiler of the Gaggia Classic is made of aluminium. It's no good using citric acid on it, because it damages the boiler. It's better to use tartaric acid.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
tracerbullet
tracerbullet
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 11:18am

I hadn't thought of the material question, vs. the cleaner used, but - yes I'd remove that piece that the screen screws into it. It has a channel through it that can and will get clogged with scale. It's pretty easy, 2 socket head cap screws, 5mm I believe. The gasket should pop out pretty easily at this time as well, might be a good idea to check it's condition.
jimbo57

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia New Baby
Grinder: Rocky
Vac Pot: Several
Drip: Pour Over
Roaster: Sono, Hottop, Behmor
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 11:50am

You may already be aware of this, but I thought I'd throw it out there (it's the Gaggia group on yahoo.  There's quite a bit of great info out there on these machines.)

Click Here (groups.yahoo.com)

Jimbo
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > A few questions...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.339548826218)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+