Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Comparing Gaggia's Yet Again
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Comparing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
MochaJoe

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 12:38pm
Subject: Comparing Gaggia's Yet Again

Hi all,

I'm new to the board and wanted to get some help on finalizing my first home espresso set up.
I have read almost every post regarding the Gaggia Baby Class and Classic. I've emailed WLL and got there take on both, and all together came to these conclusions.  

Both Baby Class and Classic have same internals and 3-way valve. Classic has rotating steam wand joint, Baby Class has ball joint. Classic has more metal to it, while the Baby Class looks a bit more modern. Classic has OPV, Baby Class does not.

My question to you all is, will I ever use the OPV? I'm not one to randomly open up my machine, and am not really a tinkerer. The only thing I think I might do is replace the panarello to the Saeco for more length, as I do mainly drink Mochas and Cappas.

To those who have either used both, or have experience...is there a reason to get the Classic over the Baby Class? Assuming I purchase a quality grinder, will one machine perform better, or be easier to use than the other?

I appreciate any feedback!
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 1:13pm
Subject: Re: Comparing Gaggia's Yet Again

Classic is the most trouble free.  Some have had different tubing and clamps.  Interesting info from a parts place, not a seller.

http://www.partsguru.com/GaggiaBabyClassandTwinBaby.html

The OPV adjustment is very easy.  You can find info, including Youtube that make it easy.  Not necessary, but you may eventually may want to do that.  Some with Baby Class have added OPV to adjust.  The Silvia wand is commonly used and to me was about the same degree of difficulty to replace as OPV adjustment.

http://www.espressoparts.com/R_1054

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
MochaJoe

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 1:20pm

So Partsguru does not like Baby Class at all. Hmm.

In other words, the better looks and ball joint on the steam wand doesn't make up for the unreliability of the Baby Class?
MochaJoe

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 1:36pm

Also, if anyone has experience buying through Whole Latte Love, I'd love to hear it.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 1:42pm

It's been a few years since I bought anything from WHL, but in the past I was always a very well satisfied customer of thiers.  It's not that anything has happened over the years...more just that I've been buying mostly from Chris Coffee Service or Espresso Parts, for one reason or another.

There was a thread a couple of months ago where someone asked for reviews of the various online retailers in the espresso/coffee world.  WHL got a lot of good publicity there as well.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
toyman

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever Plus,...
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 1:47pm

I'm a newby here, but I just ordered a Gaggia Classic and Baratza Preciso pacakge from Whole Latte Coffee on Tuesday and it arrived at my door at 2:00 today.  That's a good sign to me.  The price was substantially less that Amazon's prices for the package also.  I'll let you know how it all goes after I get it unpacked and steaming.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 6:23pm

MochaJoe Said:

In other words, the better looks and ball joint on the steam wand doesn't make up for the unreliability of the Baby Class?

Posted November 1, 2012 link

I guess that you have to answer that for yourself.  I am not so sure about the better looks.  We can talk about reliability and resale in a couple of years.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
MochaJoe

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 6:40pm

Thanks guys!

Toyman I would for sure appreciate your experiences regarding the Classic.

Emradguy, Ill check out the other places you mentioned as well. I've just never made any large purchases online before so Im a bit wary.

Being a college student I cant afford to get screwed over.

Which is why a friend of mine suggested I get a set up from Seattle Coffee gear to try out the whole "Espresso Culture"

So, new machine in the mix: What is your opinion on purchasing a Refurb Saeco for $150 and a non-pressurized pf for $60 and upgrading later? Would using such "low end" equipment sour me on the whole process, or would this be a good option?
MochaJoe

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 6:44pm

D4F;  To me the ball joint on the Baby Class would be nice, as I plan to use the machine for milk based drink primarily.
But i can definitely live with it. As you eluded, finding out reliability info on the Baby Class is spotty. Classic, not so much. It's praised as a good entry level home machine. If I plunk down 300+ dollars, I want to be happy for at least a few years.
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 7:08pm

MochaJoe Said:

What is your opinion on purchasing a Refurb Saeco for $150 and a non-pressurized pf for $60 and upgrading later? Would using such "low end" equipment sour me on the whole process, or would this be a good option?

Posted November 1, 2012 link

Pressurized portafilters are designed to get around the limitations of cheap coffee grinders. That's why a lot of lower end machines have them, because the user generally either buys pre-ground or they have a low quality grinder.

You need a decent espresso capable grinder to grind coffee fine enough and consistently enough to take advantage of a non-pressurized portafilter.

In your situation, I would consider saving your pennies a little bit and consider buying a used grinder and possibly a machine from the Buy & Sell forum on here or in the classifieds.
You can save a bit of money by going with a hand grinder over a powered grinder, but it can get tedious if you make shots for more than just yourself. That's something for the grinders forum.

There are a lot of favorable reviews about those Gaggia machines on here. Read the reviews about those Gaggia's and the Saeco which you are thinking about buying. Good luck!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Comparing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.454384088516)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+