Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 111 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BubbaDude
BubbaDude
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 9:54pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread backflush

RaymondParker Said:

do you recommend to backflush (without the white pill) every day, week or not at all - is it enough just to wait until the "service" alert comes up and clean as recommended?

Posted November 10, 2012 link

Breville's expert barrista Phil McKnight recommends a daily light backflush with water only plus a backflush using the tablet more often than the machine nags, but I don't remember how often. He wants to prevent the oils from building up in the plumbing and altering the taste. He posted a comment up this tread a ways.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RaymondParker

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 1:13am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

After receiving the machine five days ago from Amazon Europe and fifty shots later I commenced today the first back-flush without cleaning pill.
The result in the driptray was impressive. A lot of coffee-residue was cleared from the inner mechanic of the machine. Thanks for the advise!
By the way: The silicone platter shipped with the newest model has no hole anymore and basically seals the portafilter hermetically during backflush.
 View Profile Link to this post
RaymondParker

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 1:26am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread backflush

BubbaDude Said:

He posted a comment up this tread a ways.

Where do I find "Phil McKnight's" thread/blog?
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 6:20am

Phil's username here is mcknightp, so if you use the search function at the top left of the page and searching on that for auther, you can find him and look at all his posts. Or, just read this thread from the beginning, as there's a lot of other very uselul info buried along the way.

RaymondParker Said:

Where do I find "Phil McKnight's" thread/blog?

Posted November 11, 2012 link

BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 1:07pm

JohnLyn Said:

fairly similar to Phil Mcknight's description click here , but I only hold the pressure once.

I've noticed a nasty sound at the start of the second three second flush when I use this method. I don't like nasty noises - it's like a slipping gear - so I'm not going to use that method any more. I don't get the noise if I do longer flushes instead of the short ones in that video. So maybe two six second flushes is better than four three second ones.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 1:10pm

BubbaDude Said:

I've noticed a nasty sound at the start of the second three second flush when I use this method. I don't like nasty noises - it's like a slipping gear - so I'm not going to use that method any more. I don't get the noise if I do longer flushes instead of the short ones in that video. So maybe two six second flushes is better than four three second ones.

Posted November 12, 2012 link

I have not done multiple little flushes either. I just do one flush after the wiggle and done. weird noises are bad!
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 1:15pm

JohnLyn Said:

I have not done multiple little flushes either. I just do one flush after the wiggle and done. weird noises are bad!

I think there's something about a three second flush that makes the BDB angry. Maybe it leaves the pump half-primed.

RaymondParker

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 1:53pm

I spoke to the German service center from "Breville" alias "Gastroback Gesmbh" in Hollenstedt today.
The technician I had on the phone did not advise to "back-flush" without pill.
He thinks that is overkill, as the machine has a build in mechanism cleaning itself rudimentary after each shot.

He recommends:

- soft "Phil's Wiggle" after each use
- to follow the cleaning procedure immediately when the "Clean Me" alert pops up with the cleaning-pill
- even better: unscrew carefully the shower-cap with the torx screwdriver delivered together with the machine. Clean the shower-cap and all reachable parts carefully from any oily or sticky residue. If sticky not with a metal but with a wooden tool. Put it back.
Then run the chemical program.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 2:02pm

RaymondParker Said:

I spoke to the German service center from "Breville" alias "Gastroback Gesmbh" in Hollenstedt today.
He thinks that is overkill, as the machine has a build in mechanism cleaning itself rudimentary after each shot.

He recommends:

- to follow the cleaning procedure immediately when the "Clean Me" alert pops up with the cleaning-pill
- even better: unscrew carefully the shower-cap with the torx screwdriver delivered together with the machine. Clean the shower-cap and all reachable parts carefully from any oily or sticky residue. If sticky not with a metal but with a wooden tool. Put it back.

That makes sense to me. I pre-flush before every shot with the portafilter off to stabilize the group temp, so any junk around the screen is going to be washed out anyway.

JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 3:38pm

RaymondParker Said:

He recommends:

Interesting! and clear! and you get to speak to an actual technician with actual information which is not the case in Canada. How is the service centre in the US?

If there is a built in mechanism then that makes sense. Did he mention what that mechanism does?
showing page 111 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.503765106201)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+