Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Used, older commercial coffe machine at home?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Used, older...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bribery

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Oct 31, 2012, 1:04pm
Subject: Used, older commercial coffe machine at home?

Hi y'all coffee fellows,

After much lurking, I registered in this forum because I wanted to ask a question that's boggling me.
I will be moving out of the US in about half a year. Since I do not have a good espresso machine, and because I will have a unique opportunity to bring whatever I please without it being taxed by absurd tariffs, I am facing the following dilemma: to buy a new for-home espresso machine (I can fork out around $1,000) and bring it home, or to buy a used commercial coffee machine over there.

The USD to ARS rate is 1 USD to $6.40 ARS, approximately. So for 500-1000 USD I could be getting a commercial coffee machine.
Now, the machines that I see advertised show no specs, but that I can find out. The thing is, I don't know exactly what specs to look for, and how to weed out the cheaply made machines from the great ones. Can anyone help me?
Below is an array of offers, although there are SO many it's overwhelming. Buenos Aires, my city, has a very strong coffee culture. People, and especially older folks, spend a lot of time at the coffee shop. It is the go-to hangout, and you won't see any laptops there. With a coffee shop per block, I assume there must be good commercial machines at low cost.

Click Here (articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar)

Thank you for your help and time!
Ariel
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 6:15am
Subject: Re: Used, older commercial coffe machine at home?

For the most part, commercial machines are not cheaply made, in fact, most often it is the reverse due to the harsh conditions that they work in.

With anything used, it is more about the current condition than anything else.
Commercial equipment will be much larger than a machine designed for home use. If you have the room and don't mind the slightly higher electric cost (bigger equipment uses more power) there isn't a reason to not buy one depending on your use.

If you only make one straight shot, once a day, it is a bit silly to have a multi group machine heat up for that, commercial machines are designed to be on all the time while home machines are designed to be used then turned off.

The grinder though is the star of the show, it is nice and all to have a commercial machine but without a good grinder DESIGNED FOR ESPRESSO, you are wasting your money. A good grinder and a home machine will give you much better espresso than a commercial machine and preground coffee in a can or even fresh coffee ground in a blade grinder or cheap burr grinder.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kafegeek

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: delonghi
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 12:07pm

calblacksmith Said:

For the most part, commercial machines are not cheaply made, in fact, most often it is the reverse due to the harsh conditions that they work in.

With anything used, it is more about the current condition than anything else.
Commercial equipment will be much larger than a machine designed for home use. If you have the room and don't mind the slightly higher electric cost (bigger equipment uses more power) there isn't a reason to not buy one depending on your use.

If you only make one straight shot, once a day, it is a bit silly to have a multi group machine heat up for that, commercial machines are designed to be on all the time while home machines are designed to be used then turned off.

The grinder though is the star of the show, it is nice and all to have a commercial machine but without a good grinder DESIGNED FOR ESPRESSO, you are wasting your money. A good grinder and a home machine will give you much better espresso than a commercial machine and preground coffee in a can or even fresh coffee ground in a blade grinder or cheap burr grinder.

Posted November 1, 2012 link

Totally agree... Couldn't say it better.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2012, 12:28am

In addition to what Wayne wrote: If you're willing and able to refurbish a used commercial machine yourself, it might be worth a try. If you have to take it to a repair shop, depending on what need to be done and what parts need to be replaced, the cost of repairs might easily exceed the price of a new home machine.

calblacksmith Said:

... Wth anything used, it is more about the current condition than anything else ...

Posted November 1, 2012 link

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
bribery

Posted Fri Nov 2, 2012, 4:50pm

Thanks everyone for your help.
Those machines, you're right, need compressors with compressed gas to operate, and that is certainly burdensome.

I guess I could look into importing a machine from Europe and taking it to Argentina, or using a transformer for 110 V > 220 V and 60 Hz > 50 Hz

Thanks
Ariel
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Used, older...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.372220039368)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+