Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 109 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BubbaDude
BubbaDude
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 7:41pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

I'm not sure what a "session" is in Phil's lingo, so I took it to mean "a day."

When I pull a shot, I dry the basket, fill, tamp, and then pre-flush for 6 seconds to stabilize the water temp before I lock in. After the shot I just knock out the puck and wipe off the screen and the basket with a cloth. During the shot, I try to keep the pressure around 9 to 9.5, extraction time on the clock 30 - 35 seconds, and temp for most roasts at 200-201. I use the default pre-infusion times. I also weigh everything, typically 18.5 g in the basket and 37 in the cup.

This has been my routine since February, and no problems so far.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 8:11pm

Sorry yes, by "session" I mean day. or in my world, morning. sounds exactly like my process for when I pull a shot, except for the backflush when I'm done and the machine goes off. So when you're done you just wipe down the dispersion screen and shut her down eh? I'm just asking because that is what I am going to start doing...
 View Profile Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 8:33pm

JohnLyn Said:

Sorry yes, by "session" I mean day. or in my world, morning. sounds exactly like my process for when I pull a shot, except for the backflush when I'm done and the machine goes off. So when you're done you just wipe down the dispersion screen and shut her down eh? I'm just asking because that is what I am going to start doing...

Posted November 1, 2012 link

I shut down the machine when I'm done for the day, if it hasn't already powered itself off, but in between shots I let it stay on.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
CaliforniaBear

Espresso: Le'lit PL041 with PID
Grinder: La Pavoni PGC
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Roaster: Moksha
Posted Thu Nov 1, 2012, 10:12pm
Subject: Not having good results

Hello All,

I have had my BDB for a little over a month now and I am having inconsistent results. I've paired it with a Rocky. (To give proper background, I have several years experience with a PID'd LeLit PL041.)  With the BDB, I've tried to be ultrascientific about it -- 18-20g weighed, 32-36g extraction, etc., good reputation coffee (Barefoot, Verve, etc.) But I'm just not getting the flavor. The hardest thing to take are my wife's comments that "it just doesn't have that much coffee flavor."

I'm setting it 200 degrees with anywhere from 3-7 sec preinfusion (the latter doesn't seem to matter much). I get absolutely beautiful crema, tiger striping, etc. Tastes ok as espresso - not great, and completely drowned out in milk.

What could I be doing wrong? I hate to blame my equipment but I'm starting to think there's something wrong with the machine.

(BTW no OPV problem it rarely goes higher than 9 bars).
swimjay

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Orphan...
Posted Sat Nov 3, 2012, 12:49pm
Subject: Re: Not having good results

Bear--

I wonder if it's possible your Lelit was running a bit hot, or cold, and that's what you've gotten used to.  Since you seem to have all the other variables controlled for, what about trying a few shots with the the Breville set to different temps?  If your using a SO or a blend w/ a lot of "bright" coffee, you might want to try 198.  Or for some Centrals, try 202.  IMHO you'll definitely taste a difference, but of course no guarantee it will get you back to what you were used to.  Going to 195 or 205 would be interesting to try--205 might have more of a "third wave" taste, 195 more of a conventional coffee taste.  I'd be very interested to hear what your experience is;  I think there's, especially with coffee, a huge "learned" component to what we experience and what we appreciate.
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Sat Nov 3, 2012, 7:22pm
Subject: Re: Not having good results

swimjay Said:

Bear--

If your using a SO or a blend w/ a lot of "bright" coffee, you might want to try 198.  Or for some Centrals, try 202.  IMHO you'll definitely taste a difference, but of course no guarantee it will get you back to what you were used to.  Going to 195 or 205 would be interesting to try--205 might have more of a "third wave" taste, 195 more of a conventional coffee taste.  

Posted November 3, 2012 link

hi, im here in the philippines and espresso i charged like a regular coffee here, sometimes it might not be worth buying it specially if you know the counter personel is not a barista you dont if they are pulling the shots correctly. now, ive taste starbucks and cinnabon espresso, they are bold, strong and balanced. they are just straight strong coffee. my question here with regard to temp and bright coffee is this - my roaster has a blend and im getting this faint reaction on my palate, same with the SO, is this bright acidity? how come i didnt get this from starbucks houseblend and cinnabon? am i extracting correctly? or was starbucks and cinnabon just using flat balanced coffee?

ive read somewhere that to eliminate the sourness i have to increase the temp, which works best? is this reaction in the palate sourness or acidity? is it a poor shot?

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 1:16pm
Subject: Daylight Savings Time

I'm very disappointed that the BDB doesn't automatically adjust to the end of Daylight Savings Time. This is a major design defect that has totally changed by attitude about this machine.

lowellw2

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 7:20pm
Subject: Re: Daylight Savings Time

BubbaDude - LOL, that is really a serious defect - even more disconcerting than my complaint!  Of course, I think you pointed out that I should be cleaning my water tank every week or so and thus could monitor when the filter needed changing. I considered taking your advice, but ultimately decided I might then get concerned my water pipes needed to be cleaned and then started to think about what could be growing in my RO system and I dont want to even think what might be in my water well.  I concluded to blow it all off and just enjoy what comes out of the portafilter. As a potential solution to your concern I guess you could consider a move to Arizona or Hawaii, which, I think, do not observe DST.
klund
klund
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 8:04pm

I'm very disappointed with my machine, too. I put my grocery list on top of it this morning, and when I returned, it only purchased half of the items I wanted. Serious defect, IMHO.

-- klund

Well then, you should see me without coffee.
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 8:32pm

klund Said:

I'm very disappointed with my machine, too. I put my grocery list on top of it this morning, and when I returned, it only purchased half of the items I wanted. Serious defect, IMHO.

Posted November 4, 2012 link

Maybe your pre-infusion time was too short.

showing page 109 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.405815124512)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+