Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 110 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BubbaDude
BubbaDude
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 8:33pm
Subject: Re: Daylight Savings Time

lowellw2 Said:

As a potential solution to your concern I guess you could consider a move to Arizona or Hawaii, which, I think, do not observe DST.

Posted November 4, 2012 link

I would have to dial back my brew temp if I did something like that, for sure.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
zedex

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Mon Nov 5, 2012, 8:55am
Subject: Re: Daylight Savings Time

BubbaDude Said:

I'm very disappointed that the BDB doesn't automatically adjust to the end of Daylight Savings Time. This is a major design defect that has totally changed by attitude about this machine.

Posted November 4, 2012 link

Maybe the machine was not intended to last that long. :)
 View Profile Link to this post
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Wed Nov 7, 2012, 8:18am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

BubbaDude Said:

I'd be interested in whether your errX problems go away if you stop backflushing. What if you just turn the machine off at the end of the session and do the cleaning cycle when it tells you? It can't hurt.

Posted November 1, 2012 link

Interesting. I reduced backflushing to once per week. So I backflushed today with the cleaning disc. purged steam wand and then I turned the machine off but got the Err1 message instead. So maybe it is the backflush.... Breville rep was surprised that the Machine works after the Err1 but I unplug and replug and the machine is good to go.
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 11:45am

JohnLyn Said:

Interesting. I reduced backflushing to once per week. So I backflushed today with the cleaning disc. purged steam wand and then I turned the machine off but got the Err1 message instead. So maybe it is the backflush.... Breville rep was surprised that the Machine works after the Err1 but I unplug and replug and the machine is good to go.

Posted November 7, 2012 link

The Breville Canada guy, not a tech, does not think that the backflushing caused the Err1 message because that does not fit his understanding of why that message would occure. He agrees that backflushing is recomended for cleanliness. So this morning I decided to try the same backflush to see. well for the first time I have gotten Err1 messages on consecutive days. Bubbadude may be on to something by not backflushing. That being said, I am sure that others are backflushing at leaste once per week and that problem is not being reported. Somehow the match between this machine and my house is not a good one.

Anyway, I'll have the machine for another week before I have to send it back, so I can keep experimenting with it. It's sad, because I realy realy like this machine. I feel like I am using professional equipement because of the control and the results. But I am forced to admit that the BDB does not match my home. Therefore, I will now be switching machines (to a Mini Vivaldy), paying almost twice the price, but not expecting better results "in the cup". I do expect less difficulties because they have a great rep for reliability. Also, now I deal with a store that is able to fix them so if I do run into problems I will be able to talk directly to a tech to solve them.
RaymondParker

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 8:33am

I just bought the Breville BES900XL, sold in Europe under the name: Gastroback 42636 Design Espresso Advanced Control a week ago at Amazon and I'm stunned how well the throughout sexy machine performs. Given it is a monster in the kitchen - but a real beauty. It feels like a iPhone - packed with features and of high quality - it shares the iPhones origin. I'm living currently in Vienna, Austria a city which lives coffee and all I can say is:

"I could hardy be more happy to have switched from my seasoned but still working swiss made "Tourmix Professional TX10" to the Breville BES900XL e.g. Gastroback 42636 Design Espresso Advanced Control"

I duly hope that I will not encounter the error messages mentioned in Your review - if I will, I shall send the machine right back to Amazon. As the local european representative  "Gastroback" Germany is also unable to give a helping hand. I'm very eager to learn the experiences of other BES900 users!

Please come on an share your experience!
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 1:13pm

JohnLyn Said:

Posted November 7, 2012 link

I'm curious about your backflushing technique. Maybe you're doing it differently than the rest of us. Could you give us a blow-by-blow account?

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 4:34pm

BubbaDude Said:

I'm curious about your backflushing technique. Maybe you're doing it differently than the rest of us. Could you give us a blow-by-blow account?

Posted November 10, 2012 link

This is what I do as a clear water backflush once I am done with coffee each morning to keep the grouphead clean:

press and hold the two cup button to flow some water (3 secs)
wipe dispersion screen
run 2 more seconds of water
insert portafilter with rubber cleaning disbut, not locked
press and hold two cup button
do the wigggle, lock and unlock, pressure reading may go up to 2 bars max
lock it, pressure reading goes to 7bars, leave it for three seconds
release two cup button
wait a couple of seconds, pressure is down.
take portafilter out
few more seconds
turn machine off
go to work

fairly similar to Phil Mcknight's description click here , but I only hold the pressure once.

It's quick and easy. The last two mornings, no problem. I have been doing this consistently since I have had the BDB. Machine no.4 is the first one where I am getting it repetitively.

The coffee is still great ever morning though...so stable, so consistent, so easy to manipulate variables...
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 4:41pm

That sounds reasonable. Have you taken off the skin and looked inside of the machine for signs of water leakage or damage?

JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 4:47pm

BubbaDude Said:

That sounds reasonable. Have you taken off the skin and looked inside of the machine for signs of water leakage or damage?

Posted November 10, 2012 link

I haven't done that because I don't want to void the warranty. Reasonable thought though. I do get some minor water leakage on the counter and I have ruled out a leak in the drip tray by leaving it alone on my counter filled with water.
RaymondParker

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 10:47pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread backflush

do you recommend to backflush (without the white pill) every day, week or not at all - is it enough just to wait until the "service" alert comes up and clean as recommended?
showing page 110 of 252 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.509947061539)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+