Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need Help:: NS Musica or Rocket R58
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need Help:: NS...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:26am
Subject: Re: Need Help:: NS Musica or Rocket R58

I rarely empty my drip tray.  Those flushes go to warm my cup and my shot glass.  Then go to the sink.  It sounds hard but is really easy in practice.  The water dance is much easier to judge than blonding.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Nov 9, 2012, 11:28am

And the Muscia has restricters that help keep the group head at an even temp.  Your cooling flushes will be easier than mine will until I add that to my  Oscar.  Watch Youtube to see what the pulls look like, it is really not hard at all.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
AMubaslat

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuovo Simonelli - La Musica
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Instantineo
Drip: Bosch
Posted Fri Nov 9, 2012, 2:26pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

And the Muscia has restricters that help keep the group head at an even temp.  Your cooling flushes will be easier than mine will until I add that to my  Oscar.  Watch Youtube to see what the pulls look like, it is really not hard at all.

Posted November 9, 2012 link

This is quite relieving. I believe that after the "cool flushing" naturally integrates into the process, it will be only a matter of getting the water reservoir refilled more often. Think I can live with that.

acasabia Said:

Other options you should consider
The Expobar Brewtus iv, I bought this machine after looking at all of the machines you listed and I am about to, I think it has the most bang for its cost, dual boiler, e61, PID, availible rotary pump. Definitely well suited for 10-15 shots a day, and I like the semi-manual operation. I paired it with a quamar m80e grinder, the 4pack steam tips from rocket, and bottomless PF (rocket) that just really make the machine great. It is much cheaper than the other options here, and with 2 1.7L copper boilers, this macine is a beast.

The Alexia Duetto II/III, a great dual boiler, looks amazing, has a pretty big following. version 3 has just come out, give it a look over at clive. I didnt buy this purely on price and its PF sits lower preventing certain cups from easily being placed under it (an insane thing to worry about).

Have checked these two, and like Rocket, they do not have local support where I live. To be sure, i contacted CREM for the Expobar, but I'm yet to get their response.

This leads me to the important questions,  are those double boiler machines (especially R58 and Alex Duetto) too complex to be serviced/checked/fixed by a competent electrician who have done so for commercial-grade espresso machines? I am told about few workshops who claim to have this expertise.

I thank everyone for the very helpful and enlightening responses. Please keep them coming :)

-Ammar
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Nov 9, 2012, 3:20pm

A lot of maintenance like descaling can be done by yourself. When it comes to major servicing and repairing you need someone who has experience in looking after espresso machines.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
JPF

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Fri Nov 9, 2012, 3:41pm

Wish I could remember more detail, but I've read more than one post here and over on HB where R58's were not surviving shipping because of the packaging. Others were not happy with some issues I think due to early adoption, and returned the machine.  Also some find the removable PID annoying to deal with.

Living the caffeinated life.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Nov 9, 2012, 4:02pm

I heard similar things about packaging, but I think by now Rocket Espresso has dealt with the problem.

RocketEspresso Said:

Hi Coffeegeek members

It is not often that I comment on the forum but felt I should clarify the points regarding build quality of our machines.
The R 58 has been subjected to damage due to a lack of care by freight forwarders, nothing more. Unfortunately when you ship 35KG in a cardboard box and then drop it, damage will occur.
When the machine is dropped the join between the chassis and the drip tray support is damaged. This join is not a structural part of the machine so does not have the strength to withstand the fall.
We now ship all our machines with new and uprated packaging and additionally we have beefed up the chassis drip tray weld to over come such problems.
I dispute that the R 58 is subject to poor build quality as it is produced in our factory by our same small team of dedicated workers who produce all of our machines. I am so confident in this claim that I extend an invitation to any of you who wish to view our production and see our commitment first hand.

As a company we listen to both our dealers and customers and react when those comments are valid. The case in point is that I have personally responded to many of your emails which I believe is unique for the Managing Director of an Italian espresso company.

The R58 is one of many very good espresso machines currently available, we worked hard on both the design and the stability of the machine to ensure superior results in the cup and have achieved this. The R 58 will not suit everybody but it is a product that we are extremely proud of.

Andrew Meo, General Manager and partner Rocket Espresso.

Posted September 21, 2012 link

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Fri Nov 9, 2012, 9:39pm

AMubaslat Said:

Have checked these two, and like Rocket, they do not have local support where I live. To be sure, i contacted CREM for the Expobar, but I'm yet to get their response.

This leads me to the important questions,  are those double boiler machines (especially R58 and Alex Duetto) too complex to be serviced/checked/fixed by a competent electrician who have done so for commercial-grade espresso machines? I am told about few workshops who claim to have this expertise.

I thank everyone for the very helpful and enlightening responses. Please keep them coming :)

-Ammar

With a double boiler machine you're going to have to be willing to get your hands dirty. It may be cleaning the group head or replacing a thermostat, these machines over time will need work. Think about it, its a big hot metal box filled with electrical components submerged in water. Luckily with machines like this the parts are easy to come by, as is the knowledge base on how to repair them. For the most part, the internal workings on most machines are the same -most even use the same GICAR PID system.

Also, with modern day shipping and processing sending the machine to a qualified repair shop (whole latte love, chris's, coffee, 1st-line for the NE-USA) shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Out of curiosity, what other machines have you owned? Have you used a semi-auto machine before? Do you need a dual boiler machine for your use? Cleaning and descaling dual boiler and HX machines is more involved than most consumer single boilers. 10-20 shots a day can easily be handled by a smaller machine with easier maintenance like the Ascaso steel duo. Or, have you looked into the Breville Dual Boiler? It has received glamorous reviews, and the company is investing a great deal into building a network of local service centers, though the machine is less user serviceable if you decide to bypass this.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Path Coffee Roasters (PortChester, NY) Feather in cap espresso.

Cold Brewing:
Gimme! (ithaca, NY) Moca Java

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 12:56am

Anthony - It's a very long way from Dubai, where the OP has stated he lives, to any of the dealers and repair sites you mention. Shipping back and forth would be a substantial fraction of the value of the machine.
AMubaslat

Espresso: Nuovo Simonelli - La Musica
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Instantineo
Drip: Bosch
Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 1:35am

I am actually residing in Kuwait. So yeah, having a 40+ lb machine shipped back and forth is not going to be effective.

acasabia Said:

Out of curiosity, what other machines have you owned? Have you used a semi-auto machine before? Do you need a dual boiler machine for your use? Cleaning and descaling dual boiler and HX machines is more involved than most consumer single boilers. 10-20 shots a day can easily be handled by a smaller machine with easier maintenance like the Ascaso steel duo. Or, have you looked into the Breville Dual Boiler? It has received glamorous reviews, and the company is investing a great deal into building a network of local service centers, though the machine is less user serviceable if you decide to bypass this.

I have been using a fully automatic bean-to-cup for the past 3 years, and it was quite alright. That machine delivered above average quality of espresso, while, milk steaming (being an automatic with no steam wand) was horrible.

Having decided to upgrade, I wanted a machine that is closer to commercial than it is to home/persona and hence my investigating the above machines.

How does the Le Spaziale Mini Vivaldi measure compared to the R58 and Musica? It looks to be a hybrid of both; DB, Auto Dosing, regulation of brew temp (no pre-infusion though). The interesting part is that they have a local dealership with technical support arm.

Thank you,
- Ammar
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Nov 10, 2012, 1:36am

For $2900, descaling the Musica damn well better be less of a fiasco than descaling the Oscar. It's definitely something you should look into first.
showing page 3 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need Help:: NS...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.440988063812)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+