Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Expobar Megacrem 1 GR
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Expobar Megacrem...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
idensie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Londinium I Luxe
Grinder: MACAP M4D
Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 1:20am
Subject: Expobar Megacrem 1 GR

Hey Guys

Does anyone have any experience with the Expobar Megacrem 1 GR?  I just wanted to see what they were like.

I am after a high quality machine for home use and I have been offered one of these machines 2nd hand from the Coffee Rep that supplies the coffee and machine at the restaurant I work at in New Zealand.

The Expobar machine is for sale for NZ$2000 + 15% tax

Any ideas, what do people think?

Cheers

Ian
 View Profile Link to this post
kitt2000
kitt2000

Espresso: Lambro,
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Gene cafe
Posted Thu Nov 8, 2012, 12:33pm
Subject: Re: Expobar Megacrem 1 GR

Hi Ian, Welcome to coffeegeek.Not a lot of talk on here about commercial machines, although  a lot of people do still use them in their homes.The main considerations are -the necessity of  plumbing in a commercial machine, and the extra size and power usage over something like the E61 Rocket or Vibiemme Domobars (both around $3500) The Vibiemme Domobar Junior is a little cheaper and comparable in terms of price with the Expobar. It has a tank, is smaller and will use less power.The difference in power usage is often not as bad as some people think.I use a vintage commercial lever machine in my house
The Expobar have a reputation as reliable workhorses, nothing fancy, but good reliable machines.Are you getting a good grinder too?
idensie

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 4:12pm

Thanks for your reply Kitt2000.

Plumbing in the machine is not a problem where I intend to put it so that isn't really a worry, and I hadn't really given the power consumption a great thought.

I was offered a second hand La Cimballi Junior from the same Coffee Rep for $2200 + 15% tax but I wasn't fast enough and someone else brought it.

Another machine that I have been offered is a NEW BFC Junior ELE e61 Volumetric Professional Espresso Coffee Machine for around NZ$3300, I couldn't find many reviews on these machines either but I think they are sold under the La Valentina brand in the USA.

I had hopped to buy everything that I need for under $4000, so a second hand small commercial machine looks more appealing than a new machine at this stage.  I think my wife may prefer a shiny new "Home" machine as opposed to a second hand commercial machine but I want something reliable that will be able to replicate what I can do in the restaurant with a full commercial 3 group machine and a $4000 Eureka Mythos grinder!

I had hoped to get an automatic/electronic/volumetric machine (sorry I'm not sure what the correct term is) so thats why hadn't really considered the E61 Rocket or the Vibiemme Domobars, but I am open to suggestions.

As for the grinder, I was looking at a Mini Mazzer Electronica (about NZ$1500 inc tax) but the Coffee Rep said to forget the Mazzers and said that he could do a Eueka Mignon by La San Marco of Italy for $877-00 plus Tax, I have read a couple of reviews and they seem to do the job pretty well... what would you thoughts be on this grinder?

Cheers
Ian
kitt2000
kitt2000

Espresso: Lambro,
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Roaster: Gene cafe
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 7:11pm

Hi Ian

If you've got the space, and don't mind the power draw of a commercial machine, i'd definitely go for a commercial machine.If you buy second hand commercial, beware as there are plenty of flogged, badly maintained commercial machines out there.

BFC are great machines, also sold under the name 'Diadema' in Australia.I found the BFC volumetric machine in NZ for $3200, they offer combos on machines and grinders, so if you got in touch with them, they may offer a combo with the BFC volumetric.

The Eureka Mignon looks to be a good grinder, although a little over-priced in my opinion.The Mazzers offer rock-solid build quality and reliability.I found the Eureka Mignon grinder here for $818 (incl gst i think). If you'd like any links or more info, my e-mail is under my profile
idensie

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 8:37pm

Yea, I have seen the prices that you mention on the web ($3198.97 and $818) and I will follow up those sites to see how much shipping is likely to be to Invercargill.  

The BFC Machine I had a price on was through a Dunedin shop and the grinder was through the Coffee Rep who I think travels the lower South Island, Central Otago, etc.

I had thought the Coffee Rep was just trying to sell his "own" brand coffee grinder and make a quick profit off it (he probably is) but I found a couple of reviews that rated the Mignon quite highly, if you google "COMPACT GRINDER REVIEW (A CLOSER LOOK) Overview" they rate the Mignon as a best buy and compare it to the Mini Mazzer E. but 250 pounds cheaper.

I'm not really in a hurry, so I am happy to shop around and see what sort of deal I can get.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Expobar Megacrem...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.49737906456)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+