Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need advice- replacing a Solis Crema SL70
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need advice-...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
tajcinema

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2012, 6:38pm
Subject: Need advice- replacing a Solis Crema SL70

After many years of great service, my Solis stopped working recently (It's blowing the breaker when I plug it in). I am looking for something roughly equivalent to that machine to replace it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Nov 11, 2012, 1:38am
Subject: Re: Need advice- replacing a Solis Crema SL70

What is your budget for a replacement machine?

The Solis uses pressurized portafilters. Are you still using them?

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
tajcinema

Posted Wed Nov 14, 2012, 6:09pm

I am debating on budget, but I'd say sub-$400. a roughly equivalent machine is what I'm after. I am using the filters it came with.
tajcinema

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 6:01pm

Any ideas?

So far between forums and amazon searches, I'm seeing:
Gaggia New Baby
Gaggia Classic
Gaggia Baby Twin

Not sure on other manufacturers. Once again, I'm looking for a rough equivalent to the Solis Crema.

Am I on the right track?

(Before someone asks, I do have a decent La Pavoni grinder and most of the accessories.)

The whole reason for this is that my Solis blows the breaker when i try to turn it on. I talked to a service center that Solis pointed me to and was told it would be around $200 to fix it with very little warranty. I figure it's time for a new machine.

Thanks.
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 1:18am

tajcinema Said:

Any ideas?

Posted November 20, 2012 link

First of all, read the reviews on this site and see what people have to say about them.
"Gaggia Baby Twin Espresso"
"Gaggia Classic Machine"
"Gaggia Baby Espresso Models"

I believe that the Gaggia Classic is actually a step up from your Solis and it is only slightly outside of your budget. Gaggia has been making the classic for quite a few years now. While I don't have any personal experience with this machine, there are a lot of positive posts and reviews about this machine. The design of this machine is tried and proven from what I've read.

The Gaggia Baby is much closer to your budget, but the recommendations I've seen are to go with the Classic if your budget can permit for it.

tajcinema Said:

Am I on the right track?

Another question I should ask.. Are there any espresso equipment vendors in your area who can locally service and support a machine for you? If so, what brands do they sell?

IMHO, it sounds to me like you simply wore out your Solis. I realize it is outside of the scope of your question, but perhaps you should consider upgrading at least one or two significant steps up. Something like a PID controlled SBDU machine or even to a low end HX machine. It may be something to think about if you are already budgeting $400..

tajcinema Said:

I do have a decent La Pavoni grinder and most of the accessories.

Why continue to use a machine which uses pressurized portafilters if your grinder is actually capable of grinding for proper espresso? Your future machine should at least be capable of taking advantage of your grinder.

I'd like a little bit more feedback. How many drinks do you make per day? How many milk drinks do you make? (ie. Lattes, Cappuccinos, etc.) My worry is that any sort of replacement machine you are looking at may not be a suitable choice if your drink consumption has increased.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
tajcinema

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 4:00pm

Another question I should ask.. Are there any espresso equipment vendors in your area who can locally service and support a machine for you? If so, what brands do they sell?

I am not aware of one. I've got basically some of the box stores (Kohls and Macy's)

Something like a PID controlled SBDU machine or even to a low end HX machine. It may be something to think about if you are already budgeting $400..

Could you help me with a few definitions and examples here. I am not familiar with those terms.

I'd like a little bit more feedback. How many drinks do you make per day? How many milk drinks do you make? (ie. Lattes, Cappuccinos, etc.) My worry is that any sort of replacement machine you are looking at may not be a suitable choice if your drink consumption has increased.

I'd say maybe a couple drinks per day is average. I dodge between types- probably mostly Lattes and Cappuccinos, but I've been known to do straight espresso shots from time to time.

Thanks for the help.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 6:18pm

Pease read the following links then ask your questions.

"How to Buy an Espresso Machine"
"First machine - 300-400$"
"For $200-$300 price range is the Gaggia Espresso Pure the best choice?"
"Decent Espresso Machines for $300"

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tajcinema

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 7:43pm

I'd been on most of those threads.
I get SBDU (that's, more or less, what I'm used to)
HX- I think I get it, but I need help on machines to look at.
PID... I get what it does, but once again I don't really know what machines I am looking at.

A bit of direction will go a long way.

Thanks.
Intrepid510

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 8:42pm

First, your Solis was a great machine and in my opinion will be tough to replace as it had great features. Just look at the glowing review on the site; http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/detailed/cremasl70

With that said if you are at least a little handy with tools or not scared you should do a little searching on the web and try to fix it.

If that doesn't sound good pick up a Gaggia Classic or LeLit.

Less water, more grounds.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 11:12pm

The first one how to buy an espresso machine lays it out pretty well.  I got my Oscar for 475 used.  It is a HX machine low volume commercial and low end HX.  But because they are plastic they are priced well below the shiny ones.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need advice-...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.614558935165)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+