Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
First week with Gaggia Classic/Baratza Preciso
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > First week with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 2:31pm
Subject: Re: First week with Gaggia Classic/Baratza Preciso

Parts ship free, so get the wand.

http://www.espressoparts.com/R_1054

Grind a little finer and shoot for about 50 ml in 25-30 sec and it should be better yet.  Sounds like you are enjoying your Gaggia, and yourself.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
MochaJoe

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 2:46pm

Ill tinker with the micro-steps next. I actually bought that part and installed 3 days ago...I get great pressure now, but technique is still flawed. I watched the vid on using soap to learn, and I end up with bubbles on top, with clear/cloudy water under it....Practice, practice, practice.

I also think I need to lower the amount of milk I use in my lattes....they taste watered down. Maybe ill have better luck learning milk frothing on a 12oz pitcher vs a 20oz?
D4F

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 3:01pm

How much are you opening the steam valve.  You should be using enough pressure/flow to have the milk rolling.  I was not opening the valve far enough when I started.

D4F also at
MochaJoe

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 3:55pm

Usually a quarter turn. I practiced a few times in a row with soap and twice I got amazing looking results, the rest were duds. Could also be that I was trying to steam too much without a break, not getting enough steam. Will try again tomorrow.
D4F

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 4:33pm

I doubt that a 1/4 turn is enough.  You need a rolling action in the pitcher, or you may be blowing bubbles on top of the milk.  You need great pressure, but open enough to get good flow of steam.  I will try to take note how open mine is next time.  You can find Youtubes to help on the rolling and see the approximate rate.  

If watery, are you purging the water from the wand and upper boiler until it quits spitting water?  I let a fair amount out until the steam is "dry."  You can find Youtubes to help.

The PID helps because of less temperature swing, but you can also install a thermometer.  Temperature vs pressure chart noted.

Click Here (www.jgbhose.com)  

You can get a POLDER digital thermometer at BB and B and take it out of the steel tube and install and get the boiler temperature.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 1:46pm

I found a great thread on use of the Polder thermometer and temperature surfing.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

The Polder is $10 at BB&B or $8 with the 20% coupon.  It will help steam also as you can see the temperature.

D4F also at
MochaJoe

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 9:24pm

Hmm. It looks like I hit a snag. Same batch of beans, but now my shots are sputtering and spraying out from the portafilter spouts. The coffee came out very dark, and with an odd "crema". Odd like it pooled into a thin skin that broke apart into almost clumps. Gross.

This has happened twice. Tomorrow I guess Ill try playing with the grind, as I'm using the same mass if beans as before and a calibrated tamper.
D4F

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 9:49pm

Sounds like channeling and distribution problem.  Bean age can also affect.  Search channeling here on CG.

D4F also at
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > First week with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.374154090881)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+