Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Help with coffee machine purchase
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help with coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
idensie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Londinium I Luxe
Grinder: MACAP M4D
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 5:41am
Subject: Help with coffee machine purchase

Hello Everyone.  

I have been lurking around reading the forums and reviews for a while but decided I needed to sign up so that I could start asking some questions...

I have worked in Restaurants and Cafes on and off for most of my life so I drink a few coffees and am use to large automatic espresso machines.  Where I currently work we use a Conti Xeos 3 group machine and a Eureka Mythos grinder.

I have recently inherited some money and have decided to spend it wisely and buy myself a coffee machine!  (I have paid off 1/2 of the mortgage as well:-)

What I am after is a volumetric/automatic machine so that I can replicate what I can do in the Restaurant at home.

I live in New Zealand and these are the types of machines that I have been able to track down through New Zealand shops/agents/websites and that I like the look of:

BFC Classica Auto 1 Group for $3440 also sold as 'Vittoria Classica' in the States.

BFC Junior ele volumetric espresso machine for NZ$3200, I understand that they are sold under the 'Diadema' brand in Australia or the 'La Valentina' brand in the States.

ECM Elektronika, Plumbed for $ 3582 or Tanked for $ 3260

La Pavoni verobar volumetric for $4000

I have asked the Coffee Rep who we deal with about second hand commercial machines, I missed out on a La Cimbali Junior for $2530, but he has recently offered me a Expobar MegaCrem 1 Group for $2300 but I am reluctant to buy second hand and I have been put off a bit as his service is pretty average.  I have checked out new prices for the La Cimbali Junior ($5900) and the La Marzocco GS/3 ($9200) but these are just a bit out of the price range.

So I just want to see what people know about the 4 machines that I have listed above and their thoughts on them.

Cheers

Ian
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 7:22am
Subject: Re: Help with coffee machine purchase

Hi and welcome to the light and out of the shadows!
I'm sorry for your loss but at the same time, paying down the home is a great way to spend some of the money.
As for machines, I do understand your doubts on used equipment but for the most part, if you are fairly handy such as being able to change the spark plugs, timing belt and oil in your car, you will have no problem with an espresso machine. They are robust devices when you look at commercial units.

My use of machines is going to be different from what you have available to you. I can say though, I own an ECM machine (not Rocket) and the quality is high, I can without hesitation recommend the brand to anyone.

The others you list, I have no use on them.

The Elektra Sixties T1 Single Group Commercial Espresso Machine http://www.chriscoffee.com/products/home/espresso/sixtiesa3 is a very sound machine that fits all your so far stated requirements and Jason loves his which is good enough for me to advise you to look at it.

You say you have worked in the industry so you will know the value of a good grinder, have you started looking at them yet? Which grinders have caught your eye so far?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 11:17am

If I won the lotto or came into some money I would go for a LONDINIUM I.  I know it is not what you asked for but it will not hurt to look.
http://londiniumespresso.com/products/londinium-i

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
idensie

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 4:13am

Thanks for the replies guys.

I saw the post with the person comparing the La Cimbali Junior Casa DT1 with the Elektra Sixties T1 and I tried to see if there was someone in New Zealand stocking the Elektra Sixties but I haven't had much luck.  I found a listing for a second hand one that was on a local auction site a few weeks ago and I asked the seller if they would re-list it but I haven't heard anything from them.

Coffeenoobie - I do like the look of the Londinium, the wording on their website that talks about the pattern of use is exactly how I would use it... "on all day, every day, but used sporadically as you take a break from your work for a few minutes to enjoy an exquisite espresso" it could be breakfast or if I come home for lunch, dinner time or four coffee's in a row if friends are around.  Unfortunatley I can't find an agent for them in NZ either, I know they say they ship world wide but I would probably be stung with $600-$1000 import duties and tax so that would probably put the machine out of my budget.

As for the grinder, I have had my eye on the Mazzer Mini Electronic but I think it would be pushing the budget as well.  These are a few that are available in New Zealand and that I like the look of:

Rancillo Rocky Dosserless $599

Mahlkoenig Vario grinder $800-$850

Eureka Mignon $818-$1008 (I think the $818 could be a trade price I stumbled upon on the Internet)

MACAP M4 electronic $1250- $1449

Mazzer Mini Electronic $1398-$1552

At this stage I think I am favouring the BFC Classica Auto 1 Group and the Eureka Mignon.  Does anyone have any thoughts on that combination?

Cheers.
Ian
uziduzit
uziduzit

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:11am

I have been using a Rancilio Rocky for a few years now and been very happy with it, I think its the best buy for the money.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:22am

I don't recommend the Rocky unless you get a great deal used.  The steps are large and people don't stay happy with them and want to upgrade.  I personally don't like to buy stuff I will not be happy with for long unless I am strapped for cash and it is an emergency.  I love my Vario W grinder.  (the US company works with Mahlkoenig)

The LONDINIUM I is only sold directly. If I had your windfall I would find out for sure the import cost before I wrote it off.  I am impressed with what I read.

Coffeenoobie

JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:00pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

I don't recommend the Rocky unless you get a great deal used.

Posted November 17, 2012 link

+1

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 1:18pm

Seconded for the Malhkonig (Baratza) Vario-W. I bought it directly from the guy who designed it and it's a great grinder with a lot of power. Once you have that scale, you'll never want to go back to anything else.
idensie

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 2:26am

Hey Guys

I just wanted to thank everyone for the advise I received a few months ago when I asked for some help with a coffee machine purchase.

Just thought I'd let you know what I ended up with...

After a suggestion from Coffeenoobie I ended up looking into the Londinium I and after a mountain of reading and several emails between myself and Reiss I put my order in for a Londinium I Luxe.  

I went with a MACAP M4D grinder, based on a bit of reading and I like the look of it better than the Mazzer Mini E.

So, after a bit of a hold up with demand exceeding supply my machine is now on the courier making its way to New Zealand.  

I can't wait!

Thanks for the help everyone and I might see you over in the lever threads when my machine turns up and I have to start asking some more questons!

Cheers

Ian
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 11:47pm

I am happy for you.  I think you will like it.

Coffeenoobie

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Help with coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.412343025208)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+