Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Homemade Lattes vs. Cafe Lattes ~~ Which cost more?
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Homemade Lattes...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 12:42am
Subject: Re: Homemade Lattes vs. Cafe Lattes ~~ Which cost more?

I freeze it in 1/4 lb bags that you can pump the air out that doesn't seem to take up that much room but I do have an outside freezer.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 8:03am

shadowsnuzzy Said:

You know I thought about that but when I looked up the specs for the Silvia I figured they took that into consideration. Do you know if this is confirmed anywhere? if so that would reduce my estimated price by about 70-80 cents!

Posted November 16, 2012 link

The specs have to show the maximum power consumption (heater plus pump) so you can rate the fuses, cords and outlet to the machine.  My European Gaggia Classic is rated at 1400W, (which is pretty marginal on a 110V 15A supply shared with some lights and the grinder, particularly when running through a 2kW 110V-230V step-up transformer), but was averaging about 150W once warmed up and idling (after say 6 minutes at 1200W), and maybe 250W during each shot.  

The cost of leaving my larger HX machine on all day is rarely above 50 cents or so, including warm-up in the morning (we're paying 8.3 cents/kWHr here in the Boston suburbs, so your 33 cents seems scary high).  And that heat goes into the kitchen and dining room, so there's a small saving on gas there. ;)

here's some actual measurements on a beast of a machine with an 8 litre boiler, running up a cost of 6.6 kWhrs/40 cents a day.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 8:42am

Some of the Whole Foods do roast themselves, but not many, we have 1 that does, and the others around us/other cities don't. But generally they do carry beans from other known roasters with roasted on dates. I know down here you can always find Counter Culture, but it's usually 2-4 weeks out from roast. You have to time it right, or get to know the buyer at the store to see if they'll let you know when fresh orders have come in. If you don't want to deal with shipping, you can always find a good shop in your area that uses fresh roasted beans from known companies and their volume let's them have fresh orders in constantly, can just walk in and buy what they use. I just ship though, like there's a place in Miami I get 2 lbs fresh for $20 total inc shipping, and a few others around that are like 12-13 bucks for a lb if I walk in, but my truck would use way more gas driving there and back lol, so I just ship lol, ends up being cheaper haha
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 8:42am

edit - double post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 11:57am

shadowsnuzzy Said:

This raises the question I sought to answer: Is it worth spending the time, capital, labor, and kitchen space to save approximately 50 cents a day? Does owning an espresso machine really save that much money? Thoughts?

To begin with, I am of the firm belief that your calculations are way off (especially the electrical!) -- or, at the very least, not universally applicable.  

One example:  you cite "around 20 min(utes) to make a latte from scratch including cleanup."  OK, I can make at least 3-4 drinks in that same time frame.  Of course, I have an HX machine, but even when I had an SBDU machine, it never took me 20 minutes for one single drink -- unless I counted the warm-up time for a cold start.

You cite that your coffee costs $17 for 12 ounces (340 grams) from Seattle (presumably this includes delivery costs), and that equals $1/drink.  OK, from Red Bird in Bozeman, Montana, my coffee costs a maximum of $14 for 16 ounces (454 grams), including delivery.  Even if I "upped" my dosage to 20 grams including waste, my coffee cost would be 61.667˘ per drink (but in reality, less -- closer to 50-55˘ per drink).  (And if I purchased, as many here do, the 5-pound bag, it includes shipping -- $51.90/5 lbs. = $10.38/lb. delivered = 45.7˘ per 20 grams.)  

And so on and so on and so on . . .

But MOST importantly, this is NEVER (nor has it ever been) about saving money!  Sure, most people look into this "hobby" as a way of stemming the flow of cash one pays out to ____________ Café for their morning latte.  ($3.50 x 350 days/year = $1,225, not including tips.)  But in reality, it is always -- first and foremost -- about quality in the cup, with the secondary benefit of convenience.  What would you prefer:  waking up in the morning, and making yourself a great latte? or waking up in the morning, putting on a bathrobe, driving to ____________ Café, ordering, paying for, and drinking a mediocre-to-good latte in the car as you drive back home to shower and dress?

If you insist it's all about saving $$$, you're in it for all the wrong reasons.

You may want to take a look at the List of Our Favorite Roasters to find some great coffees at less than what you're paying now.  Also, take a look at this list of topics on Freezing Coffee Beans.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Intrepid510

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 4:14pm

shadowsnuzzy Said:

Thank you for your reply. Regarding the coffee at whole foods, do they sell fresh coffee with roast dates? I've become obsessive about this after researching more about my Silvia.

Yeah when I lived in that area a little over a year ago they had a good range of coffee from a variety of places in the bay area, like Ritual, Four Barrel, Equator etc. Even the in store roasted Allegro coffee isn't half bad and they all have roast dates so no worries there. My only real advice is stay away from Philz coffee, disgusting over roasted garbage.

Less water, more grounds.
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 6:06pm

I was going to mention Equator. I bought a bag of that stuff and it was fantastic, if a bit overpriced. I believe they're also in NorCal.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Homemade Lattes...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.406947135925)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+