Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New pump I just ordered,,, E vs. EA ?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New pump I just...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
BKSinAZ

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista.... for...
Grinder: Soon to get Vario
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 10:42am
Subject: New pump I just ordered,,, E vs. EA ?

I had a question... I just paid for a new pump off of ebay, which will replace the broken one in my Starbucks Barista Machine. This exact model... Click Here (www.ifixit.com)

Howerver I wonder if I made a mistake.

The picture of the ebay auction I just won shows the model of pump is 'E' Type EX5 1/1min.
I just took my Starbucks Barista espresso machine apart and found the model to be 'EA' Type EX5 1/1.5 min.  (Model 'E' vs 'EA' and 1/1 min vs. 1/1.5min)

What is the difference between model E vs. EA ??
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:44am
Subject: Re: New pump I just ordered,,, E vs. EA ?

BKSinAZ Said:

I had a question... I just paid for a new pump off of ebay, which will replace the broken one in my Starbucks Barista Machine. This exact model... Click Here (www.ifixit.com)

Howerver I wonder if I made a mistake.

The picture of the ebay auction I just won shows the model of pump is 'E' Type EX5 1/1min.
I just took my Starbucks Barista espresso machine apart and found the model to be 'EA' Type EX5 1/1.5 min.  (Model 'E' vs 'EA' and 1/1 min vs. 1/1.5min)

What is the difference between model E vs. EA ??

Posted November 18, 2012 link

Hi Brian,

The only difference I see is the Model 'E' vs 'EA' and 1/1 min vs. 1/1.5min, which is the duty cycle. The first 'E' model is one minute on, one minute off., 41 watts. The second is one minute on, 2 minutes off., 52 watts.
The pump you bought will work.

Ulka specs here: Click Here (www.google.com)

CraigA: Ulka Flow Chart.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
BKSinAZ

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 11:52am

CraigA Said:

Hi Brian,

The only difference I see is the Model 'E' vs 'EA' and 1/1 min vs. 1/1.5min, which is the duty cycle. The first 'E' model is one minute on, one minute off. The second is one minute on, 2 minutes off.
The pump you bought will work.

Ulka specs here: www.ceme.com/admin/moduli/m003.../pag_ULKA_web.pdf

thanks.... your response leads me to one additional question...  What does one minute off and one minute off mean to me? Are we talking heating times? If so, the E appears to be a slightly better pump... am I wrong?
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 12:10pm

BKSinAZ Said:

thanks.... your response leads me to one additional question...  What does one minute off and one minute off mean to me?

It won't mean much, but I'll explain it. You're not running the pump for one continuous minute, but that is what it means. The 'duty' cycle is the ON run time rating for the pump.What it would mean (for that pump) is that IF it ran for one full minute, the off time should be 1 minute to allow for cooling down of the pumps coil.

Are we talking heating times?

No, ON run time & OFF time.

If so, the E appears to be a slightly better pump... am I wrong?

41 watts versus 52 watts. The flow specs would be slightly more on the higher wattage pump & I'd have to check, but it won't matter on the boiler size on this machine (2 oz I believe).

It's not like you're running this pump on a commercial Rancilio S24.. {;-)

Pic below: Words from a website; This is an upgraded pump with BRASS internal parts. If your plastic 41 Watt EP pump (plastic) has broken, this is the one you want. It also REPLACES THE EX5. This pump is used in all Home models of Saeco, Spidem, Jura, Capresso, Impressa, Gaggia, Grimac, LaPavoni, Silvia, Lucia, Briccoletta, Giotto, Oscar etc. It also replaces many EATON pumps.

CraigA: Ulka_52Watt.jpg
(Click for larger image)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 12:48pm

Ulka 41 watt pump. This pump has the plastic nylon output tube versus the brass output one above.

CraigA: Ulka 41 watt pump.jpg
(Click for larger image)

BKSinAZ

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 1:26pm

It would appear, even though it will work, that I purchased a down grade from my existing broken pump.
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 1:35pm

I was literally having this same dilemma the other day. I thought 1/1.5 meant 1 liter per 1.5 mins!

But as Craig said, the Saecos are so tiny and use a pressurized portafilter, so your pump power is going to be way less of an issue. I wouldn't sweat it and give it a chance. Those EX/EAX Ulka pumps are used in machines that cost up to $2000, so they definitely are designed to get the job done.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 1:43pm

BKSinAZ Said:

It would appear, even though it will work, that I purchased a down grade from my existing broken pump.

Yes, slightly., but you'll be fine.

BKSinAZ

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 5:11pm

CraigA Said:

Yes, slightly., but you'll be fine.

Craig.. just received and installed new pump. Is it my imagination, or is this a weaker pump? It seems to barely have enough power to push water thru my portafilter let alone push water thru a portafilter with grinds.
I have this model machine http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Starbucks_Barista which came new with pump model EA Type EAP5 60hz 1/1.5 min CLA 52W.
I just installed model E type EX5 60Hz 1/1min CLA 41W. I am just trying to decide if I should order the exact pump that came with my machine as I bought it because I do see the same exact model I had in my machine with the exception that it is a type EAX5, not EAP5 as was original equipment. Your opinion?

thanks
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Sun Nov 25, 2012, 5:41pm

Hi Bryan,

Sorry to hear that the pump isn't working properly, but I don't see why it wouldn't. I followed your link to the ifixit.com website, & that pump is a 1/1 41 watt pump so I don't what what to tell you..!
It sound like you have a restriction or blockage somewhere along the line from the pump output to the grouphead. My 2001 Rancilio Miss Silvia uses the 41 watt Ulka pump, & the timed measured output through my grouphead into a Pyrex measuring glass was 110ml in 10 seconds (going by memory). I'll check my posts on this to be sure Anything from 90ml upwards is fine.

I'm resizing the pic so it's fits here, so it'll take a few minutes.

Pleas see here for Ulka pump output:

"Re: HELP:"

"Re: Help Needed with a Silvia"

All my posts: Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)

CraigA: phpwQHZYXPM.jpg
(Click for larger image)

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New pump I just...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.564972162247)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+