Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Solenoid valve (Gaggia Coffee vs. Gaggia Classic)
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Solenoid valve...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
flips
flips
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Nivona CafeGrano 120
Drip: Bonmac #2 Single Hole...
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 5:48pm
Subject: Re: Solenoid valve (Gaggia Coffee vs. Gaggia Classic)

Crucial factor would be size/footprint (small kitchen) and secondary it should look "nice" (not too much metal/shiny brass, and not too "plasticky". :)

flips 8-)
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 5:55pm

That is part of the reason I went with Baratza Preciso.  Of course the fact that it was a good grinder and I could get a refurb fully updated also helped.  WAF is very important if you are going to use the grinder and leave it on the counter.  It still needs to be a capable grinder.  Good luck with that, WAF :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 9:04pm

Yes, the Classic has a 3-way solenoid, and the Coffee does not.  I had two Gaggia Coffee machines for 25+ years before I upgraded to an HX machine.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 10:28pm

Hi Phil, I have one of the Gaggia Coffee machines too. The spring and ball valve regulates pressure for this machine along with a non-adjustable over pressure valve. Since this machine does not have the three way solenoid water will stay on top of the pressurized puck and the pressure will need to bleed off more slowly. This has a benefit though - you can turn off the pump after a few seconds to create manual pre-infusion.

I am not familiar with the grinder you mention.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
flips
flips

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:57am

Hm, pre-infusion is a new concept for me ... That means you turn on the pressure some (2-3?) seconds then off. Then wait a bit before turning it back on for the ~25 secs?

My grinder is this: http://www.nivona.com/en_CafeGrano_120.AxCMS?ActiveID=1219
I have been able to make really good espresso from it, but the "clicks" for adjusting is not really fine tuned (as it's not an espresso grinder, but a coffee grinder). I have used it to grind lots of great coffee for french press, aeropress and pour over ... :)

flips 8-)
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 6:29am

flips Said:

Hm, pre-infusion is a new concept for me ... That means you turn on the pressure some (2-3?) seconds then off. Then wait a bit before turning it back on for the ~25 secs?

Posted November 20, 2012 link

Yes - this is what you can do with this machine.

flips Said:

My grinder is this: http://www.nivona.com/en_CafeGrano_120.AxCMS?ActiveID=1219
I have been able to make really good espresso from it, but the "clicks" for adjusting is not really fine tuned (as it's not an espresso grinder, but a coffee grinder). I have used it to grind lots of great coffee for french press, aeropress and pour over ... :)

Posted November 20, 2012 link

Here in the USA a product called the Capresso Infinity looks pretty much the same. If you search Capresso Infinity mods you can see how to set the adjustment to grind finer, and how to make the grinder stepless - no more clicks.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
flips
flips

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 8:45am

Ok, so I should try pre-infusion, then ... :)

And thanks for the tip on modifying my grinder! :)
This blog post looks interesting. :)

I also just ordered a replacement water tank (the original is broken), gaskets and descaler. Hopefully even better espressos more consistently will be the norm, well in time for christmas. :)

flips 8-)
flips
flips

Posted Sun May 19, 2013, 7:32am

D4F Said:

Try doubles and adjust the grind for as close to 25 seconds for 45-60 ml as you can get, and then play with dose and tamp.

Posted November 19, 2012 link

Today I had trouble getting the doubles right (the beans are a little bit old). But I switched to the single filter and used pre-infusion (3 secs on, wait 5 secs, then as close to 25 seconds as possible for 30 ml). Got 32 ml in 23 seconds, but the taste was great! (I was tamping pretty hard.)

Italian espresso FTW! :)

flips 8-)
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 7:46am

I have basically the same machine, Espresso Model. It took me a bit to get really good shots. I have a Virtruoso grinder and I have it set at about 9.5. I use the double filter and put in about 16-17 gr of grounds. It take about 10 seconds before I get coffee and it finishes between 23-30 seconds for 2 oz. I give it a good tamp which I tried on a bathroom scale first. As far as a wet puck, once the shot is done I open the wand valve and let the pressure out, then I remove the portafilter. It does all work, getting the grind right was the hardest.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Solenoid valve...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.416817903519)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+