Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The Rancilio S20 Series Thread (S24, S26, S27)
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Rancilio S20...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 26 of 26 first page previous page
Author Messages
jacbri
jacbri
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio S26
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip/Astoria Super...
Roaster: Behmor 1600/digital scale
Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 9:12pm
Subject: Re: The Rancilio S20 Series Thread (S24, S26, S27)

Nathan Said:

I have a used machine that didn't come with a supply hose. It says in the manual to use a 3/8" hose to supply the machine. But the brass fitting below the drip tray does not appear to be 3/8". I imagine they are referring to the supply tap, and that it goes from 3/8" to some other measurement. I'm estimating 1/2", but wondering if anyone knows for certain?

Posted June 10, 2011 link

It is in fact 3/8 inch. I assume the problem you are having is that the 3/8 inch is not a COMPRESSION thread and a pipe thread. Very important.
 View Profile Link to this post
jacbri
jacbri

Espresso: Rancilio S26
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip/Astoria Super...
Roaster: Behmor 1600/digital scale
Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 9:17pm

Vivaldi Said:

I have a 1999 S27.   I was wondering what the 2 manual "switches" on the circuit board were.  For the "economizer" switch, can someone explain how it economizes?  What are the negatives to using it?

I recently replaced the autofill probe wire because the prior one was losing insulation.  Should I have used a silicon insulated wire?

When I bought my S27 the autofill probe was set all the way down.  Where is the best setting for the probe?

Recently I rebuilt the steam wand with new parts, replaced the vacuum breaker gasket, replaced the shower screen and group head gasket...are there any other "preventive maintenance" steps I should take.  I don't think that it had been well maintained, but a water softener was used, so there's no scale.

Posted April 7, 2011 link

Not sure about economizer mode...interesting, but im assuming its not running full amperage until you hit a button.

as far as the dipstick I keep mine about an inch up. I do this because the lower the dipstick the more steam and the higher the dipstick the less steam (more water in the boiler). I dont steam too much and would rather have better temp stability with MORE water in the boiler with the dipstick a bit higher....and my boiler is 7 liters :)
scarrz

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 12:41pm

Found a local seller in my area that is selling a very good condition S27, (The one that needs to be plumbed). The person is local and offered to have me come by and make a shot and they would show me how the machine operates, etc.  Initially they were asking $850 but have since said they would lower the price.  There machine was purchased in 96 probably made in 95.  The seller has said they have had no problems with it.  Whats a reasonable amount I should expect to offer? I thought about offering $500 but not sure if that is too low or too high?  any suggestions would be great.  I'm supposed to go see it in the next day or so so I'm hoping some folks here can chime in.  

Also, being a newbie I really don't want to drop $500 on a machine that I'm going to have to put a lot of money into vs just buying a newer one albeit probably not the same specs.

Thanks.
docopa
docopa
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio S24
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Yama, Cory ACB
Posted Sun Aug 4, 2013, 11:55am

When was it last descaled. What kind of use did it see? Take off the side panels and look for corrosion if any. Good luck!
gz20tt

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Bodum
Posted Sun Aug 4, 2013, 7:23pm

scarrz Said:

Found a local seller in my area that is selling a very good condition S27, (The one that needs to be plumbed). The person is local and offered to have me come by and make a shot and they would show me how the machine operates, etc.  Initially they were asking $850 but have since said they would lower the price.  There machine was purchased in 96 probably made in 95.  The seller has said they have had no problems with it.  Whats a reasonable amount I should expect to offer? I thought about offering $500 but not sure if that is too low or too high?  any suggestions would be great.  I'm supposed to go see it in the next day or so so I'm hoping some folks here can chime in.  

Also, being a newbie I really don't want to drop $500 on a machine that I'm going to have to put a lot of money into vs just buying a newer one albeit probably not the same specs.

Thanks.

Posted July 29, 2013 link

Draw some water from the hot water wand and from the brew head.
They should be nice and clear.
Smell it - nothing too metallic or off. (Milk can be sucked back into the steam boiler and go rancid)

If that is OK - have a little taste.
It should taste clean - albeit a touch "flat".

This'll indicate if it's been looked after/cleaned.

Aside from that - pump noise should be quiet and smooth.
Check all the touch pad buttons work - including the how water one.
Unscrew the shower screen and see if it's clean under there.
On my 240V version in Australia - it heats up in ~15 minutes (boiler temp) - REALLY slow heating may indicate scale buildup on the elements. (No idea what "normal" is for a US-spec machine.

Oh - With the ProCon pump - I've been running mine off a water tank for 7 years with no problems.
Just adjust the pump to suit the lack of line pressure.

No help on fair price though :)
ecdhunt

Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 7:06pm

Hey - thanks for all the info here - been lurking a while, just bought a S27.  Was told it needed a heating element, but I only paid $50 for it.  I didn't both plugging it in first as it had been in storage a while.

I'm an espresso noob as far as making it - this is my first machine, but I have electronics and mechanical assemble background.  But my trips to Italy have me really wanting to make some good espresso.

Anyway, the heating element measures out at about 8 ohms, so I think it's good.  When I pulled the boiler, it was about 20% filled with scale, including about 1/2" of sludge on the bottom.  The element is pretty well coated too.

My current plan is to strip the pipes, replace a few wires that have cracked on the main switch, replace the gaskets, and fire it up.

Any risks?  It has one of the larger "procon" pumps.  Is that mandatory to hard plumb in right off the bat?  I read the entire thread - not sure which models are OK on a reservoir and which ones aren't.  

Thanks for all the info you guys share.  Looking forward to getting this thing running - then I need to find a decent grinder.
ecdhunt

Posted Sun Oct 6, 2013, 8:54am

After getting through the descale phase, I'm looking for a Lucifer hot water valve, 110V version.  I have the relay and the shaft, but the valve itself was so clogged that the screen was damaged.  Any recommendations on finding this part?  I haven't had much luck yet - have inquiries placed to a vendor that I ordered a switch and all the washes/orings etc from.  Anyone convert they're S27 to and S26 and have one left over?  :)

OEM part for the assembly including the Solenoid and shaft is 34040109 - I'm just looking for the mechanical valve if possible.

Thanks.  Tear down has been fun - looking forward to the rebuild.  Still need to break the screen screw loose from the group head and get the HX tube off the boiler top plate.

Aaron
Gadgetz

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Apr 7, 2014, 2:28pm

Wonder if anyone has done or knows if I can.......

I have an S24 recently picked it up for a good price, love it!!!

Really fancied swapping the steam valve out for the Epoca 'clever' valve and knob.
Any hints, tips or pitfalls to avoid would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John
showing page 26 of 26 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Rancilio S20...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.390001058578)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+