Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Professional barista, how disappointed will I be with a cheap home machine?
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Professional...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Insomniac20k

Expertise: Pro Barista

Grinder: Capresso thing
Drip: I'm not an animal
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 8:55am
Subject: Re: Professional barista, how disappointed will I be with a cheap home machine?

Okay I get it. Money etc.

I contacted that guy in Annapolis and I'm gonna pick up that Saeko. I'll also look into that hand grinder. Thanks for the responses, guys!

And especially, thanks Markarian for finding that.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
RaymondParker

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:03am
Subject: the ultimate solution to your problem is...Turkish coffee

Get the best coffee you can afford (thats no problem with 100 bucks) and learn how to brew turkish coffee.
That's the way coffee came to be known to mankind in first place- and is the way coffee is consumed (as by the cowboys) in most parts of the world today. And that form of coffee is equal healthy as tasty.
No hassle, no technical equipment, no plumbing. Only a solid hand grinder, some nice glass cups, good water, fire and fresh beans.
 View Profile Link to this post
Intrepid510

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 12:09pm
Subject: Re: the ultimate solution to your problem is...Turkish coffee

I gotta say that I always hate it when people discourage people on a limited budget to shy away from espresso. While I certainly agree that better brewed coffee can be made at a lesser amount, it's no where near as fun most of the time even on a little steam toy, there is something to the process after all.

While I realize that the poster has already commited to the Saeco, which I believe is a pretty decent little machine. This is one of the few cases where I think recommending the MyPressi Twist would've been a good option at about $130 for a refurbed model, combined with a Hario grinder you're at good espresso for under 200.

Less water, more grounds.
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 12:17pm
Subject: Re: Professional barista, how disappointed will I be with a cheap home machine?

I recently had the opportunity to "train" someone on the Saeco and I was rather impressed with the steam capacity. She caught on to Late art quality milk in no time... way better than the cuisinart I started on! Now if she would only get a proper grinder...
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 12:30pm

I think a used Saeco for 80-100$ is a good starting place with a good grinder.  Hand grinder being the cheapest way to go.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 12:44pm

Your welcome, Insomniac. I hope you get a good amount of use out of that machine. They're very serviceable and easy to fix, for the most part, too. The Hario Skerton is a terrific grinder, it just takes a little patience. And if you have a Capresso burr grinder, it should be fine for using the pressurized portafilter. Speaking of portafilters, you might want let someone know to throw these in your stocking this year:

Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Also, if you don't have a milk steaming pitcher, Ikea has them for $6 and Goodwill almost always has one or two lying around. Good luck!
Intrepid510

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:55pm

The basic 8 dollar 12 oz milk pitcher from Amazon is nice. FYI

Less water, more grounds.
Insomniac20k

Expertise: Pro Barista

Grinder: Capresso thing
Drip: I'm not an animal
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 9:04pm

In a disappointing twist, the starter in my car retired and now my budget for coffee equipment is shot.

Silver lining though, I pulled out this old Sunbeam vacpot I got at a thrift store a few years ago and gave up on because it takes a strange cord I couldn't find and I hardwired the sucker up and it works. This is the best coffee I've had in my entire life, so I think I'm satisfied. I guess I'll save espresso for when I have the coin to drop on some better equipment.

I think I'm more drawn to espresso just because I've made thousands of shots of espresso a week for the past 8 years and now that I'm not doing it every day, it feels very weird.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 1:39am

You know what I would do if I was in your shoes?

First, I'd consider just buying a Bialetti Moka pot if your budget can permit for it for the time being. At least that way, you are drinking strong coffee. It won't be espresso, but it'll get the job done.
I actually own a Bialetti Mukka Express which I use when I'm out at a friends place when I crave a small cappuccino. All I need is milk, water, coffee grounds and a stove.
(BTW, Since Bialetti Moka pots are made from Aluminum, they're not dishwasher safe, as I found out the hard way.. and they don't work on an induction cooktop.)

Then, I'd look through the Buy & Sell forum on this site and keep an eye out for anything that seems to grab your eye. Perhaps you could even barter and trade.
Heck, $80 for a machine and $40 for a grinder, I think $120 is a record for low priced espresso set up.

For spits and giggles, you could get a large jar and tape a piece of paper to it, write "ESPRESSO SETUP FUND" on it and dump all of your spare change in there.
It's a shame that the USA never fully adopted Loonies and Toonies.. when you start dumping in $1/$2 coins into a spare change jar, it really adds up fast.

Hang in there, you'll eventually find something!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
RaymondParker

Posted Wed Nov 21, 2012, 1:54am
Subject: You know what I would do if I was in your shoes?

qualin Said:

You know what I would do if I was in your shoes?

First, I'd consider just buying a Bialetti Moka pot if your budget can permit for it for the time being. At least that way, you are drinking strong coffee. It won't be espresso, but it'll get the job done.

Posted November 21, 2012 link

...and if you take the "Brikka" from Bialetti, you even get a very nice crema. I use the machine when travelling. Gives a decent shot even in the desert! The only downside is that you need to stay near a stove & ample water supply as the cleaning is as much a mess as the coffee nice.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Professional...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.395788908005)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+