Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Solenoid valve (Gaggia Coffee vs. Gaggia Classic)
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Solenoid valve...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
flips
flips
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Coffee
Grinder: Nivona CafeGrano 120
Drip: Bonmac #2 Single Hole...
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 1:02pm
Subject: Solenoid valve (Gaggia Coffee vs. Gaggia Classic)

Hi!
I recently got myself a machine called Gaggia Coffee.

I'm trying to figure out the difference between this and the Gaggia Classic.

Am I wrong if I guess that the main difference is this solenoid valve? (That the Classic has this, and that my older version doesn't.)

I noticed that solenoid is not mentioned in this review/summary: http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/gaggia_coffee
And also the Classic seems to have a small tube or something on the left, down into the drip tray.

And if I don't have this valve, is there anything I shoud be aware of when making espresso?

(I'm trying to figure out the correct grind, pressure when compacting the grinds in the portafilter, and I try to stop the water flow before the foam turns to bright. Then I take out/away the portafilter quite quickly, so that I don't get over-exposed coffee slowly slipping through.
If I understood it correctly, the solvenoid valve to make the portafilter dryer at once?)

Sorry if this has been thoroughly discussed before, I'm quite new at this, feel free to redirect me to some nice articles/posts/FAQs etc. :)

flips 8-)
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 1:58pm
Subject: Re: Solenoid valve (Gaggia Coffee vs. Gaggia Classic)

Welcome to CG.  I hope that we can help.

I am not sure which machine that you mean.  Look around at this Parts site and see which machine you have.  It may be this?

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
flips
flips

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 2:09pm

Yes, it looks like the black one (Coffee 1998) here: http://www.partsguru.com/GaggiaModelCoffee.html
And I guess this is quite accurate: http://www.partsguru.com/user/ER0077-01.PDF

flips 8-)
D4F

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 2:44pm

So the Classic had a 3-way and an easily adjustable OPV.  The tube to the drip tray on the Classic is from the 3-way to drain.  The OPV makes pressure adjustment to 9 bar easy, and the 3-way a dry puck.  Brewing is very similar except you may be at higher pressure, up to about 15 bar.  That makes the grind a bit more critical.  Tamp is less important, but should be about 25 -30 lbs and reproducible.

You need a grinder that is capable of grinding fine enough to choke the machine and stepped fine enough to keep grinds in the apropriate range.  You should work on doubles at about 25 seconds.  Singles are difficult, better to learn and perhaps stick with doubles.

Spend time here

www.EspressoMyEspresso.com, check out this article: 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME  and most of that whole site as a start.

D4F also at
flips
flips

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 3:51pm

Yes, thanks for great explanation and link to very interesting articles!

It seems my greatest challenge is my grinder (A Nivona coffee grinder, not real espresso grinder).
I've been able to make a few really good espresso shots (singles, actually), but also some terrible ones.

I tried saying to my wife we should get a new grinder, but so far the WAF* is very low of me having "yet another coffee thing/gadget/machine" occupying precious space in the kitchen ...

So I guess I will have to practice tamping to match the missing fine steps of my grinder. (It's able to make it too fine grained (choke the machine), but sometimes the next step seems a little too coarse.)

Anyway, I'll continue reading those articles. :)

• WAF = wife acceptance factor :)

flips 8-)
D4F

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 4:07pm

Changing the dose may also help.  You have a little more room to adjust with doubles.  Are you using the nonpressurized basket?  Forgot to ask that.  I got a single and double pressurized, and a double nonpressurized basket.  A note included made it sound like the nonpressurized basket was only standard in US.  If your grinder is not up to the task, pressurized may be helping you, but you will need to work on WAF :)

D4F also at
flips
flips

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 4:18pm

I assume by pressurized, you're referring to the "perfect crema" filter. I've assumed I have the regular single and double filters, as the other is listed as optional in the users manual.

The pressurized filter probably looks quite different?

Yep, gotta work on the WAF ... :-)

flips 8-)
D4F

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 4:21pm

yep, pressurized = perfect crema as far as text, or how it is described, but in reality the opposite is true.

D4F also at
flips
flips

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 4:35pm

So, if this pressurized filter looks like this:
Click Here (www.shop.partsguru.com)

... then I have the regular filters :)

flips 8-)
D4F

Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 4:42pm

Sounds like you have the regular.  Try doubles and adjust the grind for as close to 25 seconds for 45-60 ml as you can get, and then play with dose and tamp.  What grinders are you thinking of when WAF is reached?  Acceptance is price, looks in kitchen...??  Many of us go down that road.

D4F also at
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Solenoid valve...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.381408929825)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+