Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New to Coffee
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New to Coffee  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
urville

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 11:59am
Subject: New to Coffee

Before saying this is another in what i will assume many of you will call, an inevitable Nespresso thread, please give me the courtesy of a couple of minutes of your time. I know everyone is on another level with coffee, which is why your opinion would be preferred.

My experience with coffee, like most americans began with the black stuff, brewed like a swamp somewhere was missing mud that needed to be reestablished. Something out of a metal can that would later hold screws or various garage scraps. To this, I took to adding creamers of the powdered variety and sugar in pancreaticly saddening levels.

Soon after I had the distinct pleasure of getting real milk, but only instant gravel looking material on the coffee, as my mother would only buy Tasters Choice.

I never understood to this point what people saw in coffee. THEN, it happened, a plethora of small coffee joints opened here in the armpit of america, and I knew for once that milk, syrup, and coffee could be good friends and taste nice. This isnt much of a cultural center so they came and went and the "Baristas" were never pros. Then we got a Starbucks. This was the best coffee i had ever tasted, and frankly, i rejoiced.

Fastforward a bit more and we have an independent, a dazbog, and a SB. Now, you dont have to tell me... I've only tried an actual shot once, and I'm sure it was crap and crappily done. What can i do... I live in nowheresville. DazBog tastes exactly like I figured "bitters" would. It's hot, frothy, death. The local guy his stuff is indiscernible from the SB stuff. SB's coffee, and i've had it here and metro areas, is always similarly... over the top. This is just my subjective misinformed opinion.

Now... having said all that. I do love coffee, even this terrible stuff i am sure your making faces about right now. Becasue i know the levels of coffee that can exist from the mud to the SB at least. SB isnt by far, what is possible, but its ok.

I'm also an average guy, a nerd to be exact, but... I'm in nowheresville, and nowheresville doesnt pay well. The point being that I have a kid, a fulltime job and full time school. I cant be entering, as much as i do eventually want to learn what a good espresso shot tastes like and do one myself, into a huge ordeal of coffeemaking and cleanup. Someday maybe when i make my own hours have a big house, big money, and time to mess around on coffee... as it stand I have a max of 199-250 for a machine.

Pretty much, I will have to make these coffees at work, or before i leave, and in both circumstances I will be straddling a good 2.5-4.5 minute window of preparation. So I want to balance convenience with taste. I realize i cant have the compelling power of the much lauded Espressos spoken of here, but I do want decent coffee... as decent as possible with the constraints I have.

So, machines like nespressos look inticing. The question is, which one given my price range will do what I want and taste as good as possible given those limitations. i was thinking a c90 and a aeroccino as i mostly like Capps and lattes.
 View Profile Link to this post
Intrepid510

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 12:16pm
Subject: Re: New to Coffee

From you post are you looking at making espresso or not? To me it sounds like you just want a good cup of coffee in the morning. While I believe that espresso is fun to make it is certainly the most expensive way to make it. Little Starbuck's Barista Machines, Gaggia machines and the like can be had on ebay in your price range, but you will need a grinder. And Baratza Encore seems to be up to the job, however that's 130ish for the grinder or you can go the hand grinder route for a Hario Mini at about 40ish.

What coffee are you planning on drinking? Just Starbucks coffee or random coffee from the grocery store? Buying good coffee online will be cheaper than your Nepresso option. Besides who really wants to support Nestle?

Less water, more grounds.
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 12:51pm

Machine Choices:

Used Gaggia
Refurb Saeco Aroma
Used Saeco Rio Vapore/Starbucks Barista/Estro Vapore/SIN006
Used Saeco Classico/Aroma/SIN015

Grinder:
Hario Skerton

With these powers combined, and some decent coffee, you too may experience decent espresso on the cheap. Where do you live? It's important to be specific on this forum because a lot of us know local resources that can help you out, especially when it comes to finding coffee.
urville

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 1:55pm

I'm in Wyoming.

I like as it was put in Hudson hawk I think, immasculine italian coffee drinks. Though i think the designation is unfair. I dont drink black coffee in a cup with milk and sugar because that tends to be death. SB and many machines that claim espresso certainly do not taste like a cup of coffee with milk and sugar, not to me. They may not be the big stuff but they arent synonymous with the lower levels either.

I would need to be able to, from start to finish including clean up, accomplish this coffee in less than 3-4 minutes? That seems unlikely having watched many baristas. The machines seem to be messy, high maintenance, slow to heat up and the process involved without even considering clean up. Please, dont get me wrong... i wish I could devote time like that, but...
\
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:08pm

Then you need a capsule machine because coffee is messy, even drip.   The capsule machine will not be high maintenance, it will be no maintenance, because it is disposable.  And just like printers that are cheap/disposable and the company makes money on the ink, guess what the cost of the capsules is... pure profit for the company.

I did not want to go that route but many people do.  Try looking at craigslist you might find some not very heavily used for sale cheaply so if you don't like it, you will not have wasted much money on it.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:33pm

urville, the set-up you mentioned would work. Look at CBTL also; there are often deals available on their gear online. Feel free to email for details, as few people here will care to discuss them (not a dig--just the truth).
urville

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:36pm

Right but even drip can be left cold till the evening, I was under the impression that doing this in a real espresso machine could damage or otherwise hurt it.

Well, I figured i would have to make a trade for convenience, or rather necessary speed. it's fast or i dont get it... Right now i dont get it cause it takes SB too long to make one and wait in line.

If it is possible to get espresso ina decent time range I'm for it though. Maybe one of those machines and an aeroccino?

Well... just as an aside, coffee and printing might be less alike... I'm in printing and let me tell you that in most cases, big digital presses that cost bazillions work the same way but you save on all the necessary manual effort for something that anymore is inferior (offset).
wellespresso
wellespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto (2003), Silvia V1...
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly, Bodum...
Drip: Hario V60 Ceramic Drip Cone
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:37pm

urville Said:

Pretty much, I will have to make these coffees at work, or before i leave, and in both circumstances I will be straddling a good 2.5-4.5 minute window of preparation. So I want to balance convenience with taste. I realize i cant have the compelling power of the much lauded Espressos spoken of here, but I do want decent coffee... as decent as possible with the constraints I have.

Posted November 20, 2012 link

So here's what I got and what I actually do at work. Not espresso, but good pourover coffee, at work, in 3 to 5 minutes.

Check out the picture I attached. You need from left to right: filter paper, thermometer, grinder, gooseneck kettle, pourover cone, scale and a serving jug if you want one. I did some counting on Amazon and you could get everything you need for just about your budget under $200.

Anyways, it's a thought. At $250 I think I'd rather go with great pour over than potentially not-so-great espresso.

wellespresso: CoffeeStuff.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Well Espresso Blog (in Chinese)
http://wellespresso.blogspot.com/
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:43pm

I don't understand :

urville Said:

Right but even drip can be left cold till the evening, I was under the impression that doing this in a real espresso machine could damage or otherwise hurt it.

Posted November 20, 2012 link

Commercial espresso machines are left on all the time. Mine is a light duty commercial machine, I don't wait for it to warm up because I leave it on.  I will probably get it on a timer after Christmas.  But you said you want it fast and neat and that is hard to do with open grinds even in a drip pot.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
urville

Posted Tue Nov 20, 2012, 2:49pm

Not on! i dont want to burn anything down lol... I mean left dirty. i mean for drip... who cares right? It's drip.

Thats the thing... time is such a pain for me... half the time I dont know what day it is between school full time and work full time and then family... ugh... probably why i need coffee lol...

I mean on a scale, how does SB and a nespresso or that CBLT compare? I tried the Verismo at the local SB and it was bitter and watery at the same time.

Man... sigh... you know here at work the boss makes coffee and LEAVES IT! comes back fro three days reheating and drinking and its like... dunkin donuts... its gross, the machine looks like a mold experiment.  *gorp*

I gotta do something...
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New to Coffee  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.41675901413)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+