Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need help in deciding between the Gaggia classic and the Saeco Via Venezia
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
BrookNYC

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:30am
Subject: Re: Need help in deciding between the Gaggia classic and the Saeco Via Venezia

qualin Said:

What I find works well are either Mason Jars or a clip-top jar..

The key trick to using these kinds of jars is that you want to fill them up as much as possible. You want to displace as much air as you can inside of them.
When the beans outgas, they'll replace the air inside with carbon dioxide and then as soon as the jar very lightly pressurizes, the outgassing process will stop.

The clip top jar or mason jar should be big enough to hold about one weeks worth of beans.

What I usually do is keep about a weeks worth of beans in the hopper of my grinder and use that up throughout the week.. I usually keep one or two of these clip-top jars
in the freezer and when the grinder is empty, I just empty the another one of these jars into the grinder.

That way, when I wake up in the morning, I just grab the portafilter, put it under the grinder and that's it. I grind coffee as I need it, I never store grinds.

When I buy beans fresh from the market, the first thing I do is rip open the bag and fill a clip-top jar and put it in the freezer, or into the hopper of the grinder, depending
on wether or not I'm buying a Kilogram or a pound of beans.

Posted November 24, 2012 link

Thanks I will buy some mason jars to freeze the beans.
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 11:41am
Subject: Re: Need help in deciding between the Gaggia classic and the Saeco Via Venezia

Mason jars, vacuum bags or ziplock.  There are many articles on freezing.  It works well enough that I but Redbird is 5# lots at a great price.  I end up with about 2 months of freezing at the end.  Redbird Espresso and Redbird Blue Jaguar are great, see the forum about Redbird.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 12:17pm

I thought I should just mention.. It is my understanding that the lifespan of frozen beans is about 2 months from the time they are frozen. Any longer than that and you risk them going stale.
However, I have heard of some people getting up to 4 months freezing time out of some beans before with only a minimal degradation in taste.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 12:59pm

I have had some 6 months old with very little aging.  I think anything under a year in a freezer that doesn't defrost itself is probably ok.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 2:03pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

I have had some 6 months old with very little aging.  I think anything under a year in a freezer that doesn't defrost itself is probably ok.

Agreed.  The difference is in the type of freezer.  If you have one of those frost-free freezers or refrigerator-freezers, like most people do, then yes, you're talking about 4-6 months in my experience.  That said, people who have a "deep freeze," like a chest freezer (top-opening), have reported a year or even longer with little to no fall-off in quality.

I rarely have beans in my freezer for more than a month, but for those who roast their own beans, I'd think a chest freezer is essential.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 2:49pm

Well, mine looks like a fridge because it stands up.  But I defrost it myself.  Right now it has my homegrown turkeys, chickens and redbird.....

Coffeenoobie

D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 2:54pm

So is it a foul freezer, or fowl freezer :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 5:50pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

......., but for those who roast their own beans, I'd think a chest freezer is essential.

??
I roast my own and almost never freeze them.  Only when going on vacation and want some already rested upon return.  I roast about once a week and target usage between days 3-10 post roast. Mostly works out perfectly. If I err, it's on the side of too fresh.

I don't have much experience with freezing beans, and only use a kitchen type frost-free freezer, but have always preferred the fresh roast to batches frozen for a few weeks in mason jars.  Certainly lower temperature extends storage time, but fresh roast is still best in my experience.  

I realize this is a contrary opinion, but my personal experience.

....sorry for the thread drift.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sat Nov 24, 2012, 10:07pm

Maybe freezing bulk greens???

D4F Said:

So is it a foul freezer, or fowl freezer :)

HAHAHAHHAAHHAAHA

Coffeenoobie

showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.459280014038)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+