Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need advice- replacing a Solis Crema SL70
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need advice-...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 8:18pm
Subject: Re: Need advice- replacing a Solis Crema SL70

tajcinema Said:

I get SBDU (that's, more or less, what I'm used to)

Posted November 21, 2012 link

What you are going to find with switching from an SBDU to a Heat Exchanging machine is that the time to make milk drinks will take considerably less time. If that is important to you, then that really is something you should consider. Otherwise, if you are insistent on staying within your budget and you want to buy new, then unfortunately, SBDU is the only way to go.

When I switched from using my Rancilio Silvia (A SBDU) to an Alex Duetto (DB), I found it took me roughly around 1/4 the time to make a milk-based drink. It's nice not having to wait for the machine to warm up for steam.

tajcinema Said:

HX- I think I get it, but I need help on machines to look at.

HX machines are usually in the Prosumer or Commercial class and have a wide range of prices. However, like Coffeenoobie said, you won't find one anywhere around your budget unless you consider buying used.
I've seen them start out as cheap as $800 (When on sale) and go straight up to roughly around the $2200 mark, depending on who made it, boiler size, etc.

Now, in saying that, you probably just looked at that and I bet that your jaw hit the floor, so I wouldn't blame you if you decided to just continue sticking with SBDU due to budget.

The difference though is that once you spend the cash on a HX machine, it will last you a very long time if you look after it.

Bezzera I think, at least IMHO, has the entire low to mid end prosumer line of HX machines covered. The BZ09 is cheaper than a NS Oscar, but does lack a hot water wand, which is crucial if you make Americanos.
Again, personally, YMMV.. I do not have personal experience with this machine so you can only go by what the reviews say on this site. Please read them!

Now, the Nuova Simonelli Oscar is an excellent starter HX machine. It has an excellent reputation in this community. However, it has the disadvantage of looking cheap due to the plastic body. My only issue
with the Oscar is that it lacks a boiler Manometer. (To tell you boiler pressure) In all honesty, it is a nice to have.. only because knowing your boiler pressure helps you know if the machine is ready.

tajcinema Said:

PID... I get what it does, but once again I don't really know what machines I am looking at.

Here... let me give you a link.. http://www.1st-line.net/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=PL041TQE

1st-line carries Lelit, who is one of the very few manufacturers which sell a PID-Equipped SBDU machine. It's $200 over your budget, but the PID gives you better temperature stability. There is also the
Crossland CC1 as well which is another machine which is PID equipped, but it is a dual heater machine, so it has a coffee boiler (Or what some people call a brew boiler) but it uses a Thermoblock for steam.

PID stands for Proportional-Integral-Derivative. Basically, it is a fancy schmancy temperature controller which looks to see how everything is heating up and adjusts the boiler element duty cycle dynamically
to keep the boiler at the precise temperature for brewing, not to mention it is a great way to quickly adjust the boiler temperature to taste.

In the case of the Lelit, it looks like it uses a fairly common off-the-shelf Gicar PID, so if it ever needs servicing, it can be easily repaired or replaced.

Like I said though, I do not have personal experience with the Lelit brand, so please be aware that if you consider buying one, YMMV....

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
tajcinema

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:06am
Subject: Re: Need advice- replacing a Solis Crema SL70

Thanks, Qualin. That was extremely helpful. I appreciate the breakdown. I'll digest that for a bit and see what I want to do.

-Tom
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need advice-...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.370831012726)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+